Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

2016: FBI investigating Hilary Clinton's emails. OMFG!
    2020: FBI investigation Hunter Biden's computer. Yawn.

You could say that Hilary's email server was something of a clerical error, even if turned out it was illegal for her to have official emails on a private server. Hunter Biden's emails expose actual corrupt intent, on top of the indisputable conflict of interest on behalf of the Bidens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    You could say that Hilary's email server was something of a clerical error, even if turned out it was illegal for her to have official emails on a private server. Hunter Biden's emails expose actual corrupt intent, on top of the indisputable conflict of interest on behalf of the Bidens.

Unlike Clinton's emails, the Hunter Biden emails don't actually exist. If you think they do exist, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

FBI exonerated Clinton. Has the Biden thing been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If these emails actually exist, then they are completely worthy of investigation. Considering the source of the report (Giuliani) forgive me if I reserve judgement.

Unlike Clinton's emails, the Hunter Biden emails actually don't exist.

Biden's campaign haven't said that they are fake. See Snopes article trying to get to the bottom of it, they asked the Biden campaign directly if the laptop/email affair was fake and they got no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭briany

The other side of the coin is that in 2016 there was almost universal agreement that Trump was a moron with no experience and no interest in running the country. There would be certain doom and he would probably be removed from office before the four years were up.

Four years on and whatever you think of him and the rotating staff, people might look at the actual economic and political result of his win and think he didn't do too badly and exceeded the extremely low expectations.

I personally think he's a sleazy buffoon, but there's the ridiculous idea that the US (or any country) elects the most intelligent, rational person for the job. That's not how it works. People often prefer a brash, controversial candidate that speaks their mind over a career politician who speaks in carefully manicured and focus-group tested non-speak. If democracy worked the way the anti-Trump crowd expect, they would elect a person with a doctorate in economics, sociology and science. They want a flawed real person over a fake ideal person.

The statistics don't really indicate that Trump created a fantastic economy, more that he inherited a recovering economy from Obama and then kept that rolling, which is fine, but his administration's response to the Covid crisis was chaotic, fighting with governors, pushing for an early end to lockdown, having a go at his top medical experts when they dared disagree with him. Middle of the road voters would have to be asking whether Trump is the man for when the chips are down because anyone can be president when things are going well enough, such as they were at the start of 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Many of the Trump's inner circle use private email servers for government work

Biden's campaign haven't said that they are fake. See Snopes article trying to get to the bottom of it, they asked the Biden campaign directly if the laptop/email affair was fake and they got no reply.

Why give the story any oxygen? It's so insane. Rudy Giuliani who was known to be targeted by and associate with Russian agents suddenly appears with a laptop that has emails that are helping to push a Russian disinformation campaign. Don't be so gullible. I would point out that the actual emails have yet to be produced, all we have so far are PDFs that can easily be edited.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If these emails actually exist, then they are completely worthy of investigation. Considering the source of the report (Giuliani) forgive me if I reserve judgement.

The FBI took possession of the data in December last year. There is no proof they examined it or investigated it, who knows. Giuliani says his lawyer received a copy of the hard drive contents September just gone because the repair shop owner looked at the data and was concerned about it. As far as he knew, the FBI did nothing with their copy so, if he is a Trump supporter as claimed, he took it to the media to expose it.

The owner of the shop said he got an email from Hunter's lawyer demanding the data be returned to them. Biden or his campaign have not called this a hoax or a fake, not anywhere I can find.

The FBI took possession of the data in December last year. There is no proof they examined it or investigated it, who knows. Giuliani says his lawyer received a copy of the hard drive contents September just gone because the repair shop owner looked at the data and was concerned about it. As far as he knew, the FBI did nothing with their copy so, if he is a Trump supporter as claimed, he took it to the media to expose it.

The owner of the shop said he got an email from Hunter's lawyer demanding the data be returned to them. Biden or his campaign have not called this a hoax or a fake, not anywhere I can find.

Have a re-read of what you wrote and then have a think.

• Advertisement

Why give the story any oxygen? It's so insane. Rudy Giuliani who was known to be targeted by and associate with Russian agents suddenly appears with a laptop that has emails that are helping to push a Russian disinformation campaign. Don't be so gullible. I would point out that the actual emails have yet to be produced, all we have so far are PDFs that can easily be edited.

We'll have to wait and see, Hunter Biden can take the NY Post and Giuliani to the cleaners if this is a hoax. The kicker is the FBI already had the alleged data in 2019 so can confirm whether that is what it contains at any point in the next few weeks. A confirmed hoax like this from a Trump supporter would get Biden comfortably over the line. I don't think they are crazy enough to take a risk like that on dodgy data.

Have a re-read of what you wrote and then have a think.

What are your concerns? Be specific.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Many of the Trump's inner circle use private email servers for government work

Who cares, I thought it was a ridiculous story from the start.

What are your concerns? Be specific.

I have no concerns. You might reflect on this:

"The FBI took possession of the data in December last year. There is no proof they examined it or investigated it, who knows."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Absolute psychopath. She was handled well.

EkaTeaHUcAAvr8m?format=jpg&name=small
    mnb

We'll have to wait and see, Hunter Biden can take the NY Post and Giuliani to the cleaners if this is a hoax. The kicker is the FBI already had the alleged data in 2019 so can confirm whether that is what it contains at any point in the next few weeks. A confirmed hoax like this from a Trump supporter would get Biden comfortably over the line. I don't think they are crazy enough to take a risk like that on dodgy data.

NY Post is protected by 1st Amendment so they can't be taken to the cleaners. The FBI won't make any public statements after what happened in 2016, and I bet all the money in my pocket the FBI know the laptop is a plant from a Russian source. I don't think a confirmed hoax like this will move the needle at all, ffs the President retweeted a story about Obama/Biden having Seal Team 6 killed and everyone kind of just shrugged their shoulders.

"The FBI took possession of the data in December last year. There is no proof they examined it or investigated it, who knows."

You have the proof it was investigated then. Great, where's the link?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Genuine question - Have the FBI confirmed that they did indeed take the system?

All I've seen is the claims from Rudi et al.

Quin_Dub wrote: »

They declined to comment when asked about it.

Still no actual indication that the FBI had this information or laptop. They haven't confirmed they had it. On top of that, we do know via the AP that the FBI are investigating this for reasons of a foreign state influencing an election that's a far more trustworthy source of info than the NYP. You can complain their source is anonymous but they only report that sort of info when credible.

• Advertisement

You have the proof it was investigated then. Great, where's the link?

Hmm. I'll try to make it simple.

You wrote this:

Are you seriously claiming that the FBI "took possession of the data" and then put it on a shelf and forgot to look at it since then? Seriously?

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Apparently they did but forgot they had it but Rudi got it the other day so they'll have a look now. Or some such sh1te.

Hmm. I'll try to make it simple.

You wrote this:

Are you seriously claiming that the FBI "took possession of the data" and then put it on a shelf and forgot to look at it since then? Seriously?

There's apparently 40,000 emails on it. I don't know if they looked through them, I don't know if they haven't looked at it. You don't either. They may have required a warrant to search the drive as Hunter was not accused or being investigated for any crime. You seem to find this hard to understand, I'm not saying the definitely didn't look at the data, I specifically said 'who knows'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There's apparently 40,000 emails on it. I don't know if they looked through them, I don't know if they haven't looked at it. You don't either. They may have required a warrant to search the drive as Hunter was not accused or being investigated for any crime. You seem to find this hard to understand, I'm not saying the definitely didn't look at the data, I specifically said 'who knows'.

Serious question. Who stores emails on a laptop?

Why would anyone store emails on a laptop? I’ve been using email since 1994 and I’ve saved zero
    Emails to a hard drive. Emails are saved on servers.

Files I save. Not emails. Does anyone here save emails?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm of the opinion that a large chunk of the data that Rudi has is genuine. Certainly the photos etc. and probably a lot of the email (but none of the "SMOKING GUN!!!" ones are real).

This was probably obtained via a hack or series of hacks of a cloud account or the actual system itself.

The "bad actors" then added their own little bits of "spice" to the dataset and dropped it off to "The Only Legally Blind, Trump Supporting conspiracy theorist Mac Repairman in the whole of Delaware" and said their name was Hunter Biden.

Said repair-man refuses to name his "friend" who advised him to look at the system , copy the data and then try to shop it to various GOP Senators (none of whom took the bait) before finally hooking him up with Rudi's personal attorney.

Who is this "friend"?
    How long has he known him?
    Has anyone asked this friend what made him make all these suggestions?
    Is he a Russian asset?

So the FBI takes a computer with/without a warrant and then can't/won't examine it. Okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Brian? wrote: »
    Serious question. Who stores emails on a laptop?
    Lots of people do
    Google POP3
    Still used today by several providers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,766 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Biden has cancelled all public meetings from now till after election, not a good look.
    All the crap the Dems are accusing Trump of doing with Russia, "debunked", is exactly what the Dems are doing with China.
    Total collapse of the Biden vote incoming, the worst is yet to come!

Sensible decision if true, but I'm not seeing much about it online.
    No point putting his health at risk at such a critical time while there is a pandemic going on.

So the FBI takes a computer with/without a warrant and then can't/won't examine it. Okay.

They confiscated it from the repair shop owner, presumably because he was in possession of the personal data of a public figure, related to a senior politician. They have the right to seize it but that doesn't automatically give them the right to search it.

I'll explain it more simply for you. Your iphone is stolen by Roland. The Gardai seize the phone from Roland. Can the Gardai search all your personal emails? Yes or no?

• Advertisement

Sensible decision if true, but I'm not seeing much about it online.
    No point putting his health at risk at such a critical time while there is a pandemic going on.

Absolutely. He's ahead enough now. Bunker down and let Trump continue making a fool of himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement