Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Can I just ask I have cousins in mid-west US. Their father, my uncle, was a senior professional so they would have had a privileged affluent upbringing. His wife's family had military background.
    These cousins are all intelligent well educated middle class. All of them are Trump supporters.

I'm just wondering to myself why on earth they're voting Trump. Is it his affinity for the Military, his promise to bring jobs back to America? Just asking

They're likely just conservative voters. Whoever the leader of the Republican party is, they'll vote for them because of their party affiliation. Mid westerners, for the large part, tend to vote red.

Plenty of people in this country will vote for one party only their whole life too, regardless of who's leading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Graham wrote: »
    Party affinity?

Did you ask them?

They would get annoyed if I mentioned Trump especially if I were to ridicule or criticise him. I dont know them but they all sent me friend requests on facebook during the severe lockdown but never messaged me or made any other contact some of whom didnt meet me when visiting the city in Ireland where I and their late father my uncle lived.. I'm actually sorry I accepted their friend request.
    It frightened me when one of them said the Pharmaceutical industry should relocate back to the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Biden groupies? That's a new one!

I don't find much fun in supporting a man who's supported by the American Nazi Party, the KKK , Q-anon and the Taliban. They're not nice, happy people and they don't have positive messages and I do look down on them. *Inappropriate smiley*

I don't find the humour or mirth in the death of almost a quarter of a million people, but your social distancing quip was hilarious all the same. *Inappropriate smiley*

Hey, you back whatever horse floats your boat and espouses your values, but I prefer not to support presidents who are backed by numerous hate groups. Just gives me a bad overall vibe.

*Yet another inappropriate smiley*

Genuine question here, what is the appeal of Biden beyond the fact that he is not like Trump.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Genuine question here, what is the appeal of Biden beyond the fact that he is not like Trump.

He's not Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trump is so awful that that is literally all Biden needs to sell himself as. The yanks have clearly had enough, they're throwing in the towel, they made a mistake and that's obvious now.

• Advertisement

I think that's it.

The Biden campaign message should be completely distilled into its perfect appeal.

He's not Trump

a message brought to you by the Biden campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trump is so awful that that is literally all Biden needs to sell himself as. The yanks have clearly had enough, they're throwing in the towel, they made a mistake and that's obvious now.

I get that. But I'm just wondering how he's rated independent of Trump. Is he or his policies or his stance on particular issues impressive in any way to people? Is he considered a good candidate?

I get that. But I'm just wondering how he's rated independent of Trump. Is he or his policies or his stance on particular issues impressive in any way to people? Is he considered a good candidate?

He's probably not the worst candidate ever to stand but the main appeal is always going to be "not-Trump".

He'll be a one term president and his job will essentially be to repair the damage that has been done. Make nice with the the various allies that Trump has alienated, try building bridges with China again etc. He has to placate the more left wing section of the democrat party as well. Id expect to see them pushing through a lot of new legislation in the first two years if they take the presidency and the senate. They'll keep the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,615 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Graham wrote:
    He's probably not the worst candidate ever to stand but the main appeal is always going to be "not-Trump".
    I can think of only one worse, Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't see Biden lasting even a year as President. The Press will suddenly find their voices again if he wins the election.

There was a reason why he was so hesitant to run for president and we're seeing why.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,766 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes.

'Listen to the science.'

That's enough for me in a world where pandemics and climate change are causing such damage. The US economy is a behemoth largely doing its own thing anyway and given the size of the country and the level of power state governments have, I think federal influence is not as impactful as we might be led to believe.

I hope that if he wins, he'll appear on the media once a month or so but other than that will live his administration to do the actual governing. The sh*tshow reality tv charade of the last 4 years has been abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Graham wrote: »

The main appeal is not-Trump but his policy platform is pretty progressive for someone running for US president.

The main appeal is not-Trump but his policy platform is pretty progressive for someone running for US president.

He had to tack to the left to keep the party together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MadYaker wrote: »
    He had to tack to the left to keep the party together.

Agreed and he did a better job of it than Clinton did in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Biden groupies? That's a new one!

I don't find much fun in supporting a man who's supported by the American Nazi Party, the KKK , Q-anon and the Taliban. They're not nice, happy people and they don't have positive messages and I do look down on them. *Inappropriate smiley*

I don't find the humour or mirth in the death of almost a quarter of a million people, but your social distancing quip was hilarious all the same. *Inappropriate smiley*

Hey, you back whatever horse floats your boat and espouses your values, but I prefer not to support presidents who are backed by numerous hate groups. Just gives me a bad overall vibe.

*Yet another inappropriate smiley*

Where are all these horrible racist Trump supporters though?

I'm sure there are some, as there are in any movement, but I've met huge amounts of trump supporters over the last several years... I've never met a single neo-nazi or kkk supporter... or any hateful angry people really... I think you liberals have been brainwashed by the left wing sensationalist media outlets.

You are demonizing millions of ordinary decent hard working American citizens, who are not hateful people at all. You can clearly see this in the Trump rallies - it's just ordinary people smiling, laughing and being very civil and peaceful together. Even different ethnicities etc too.

Most Trump supporters I've met, seem very laid back chilled out people. You can even poke some fun at them and their beliefs, and they are not easily offended people.

Most liberals and anti-trump people I've met, seem angry, uptight, cynical, skeptical etc etc... they take themselves and life way too serious. They can't take any criticism or even some light hearted banter aimed at them or their political positions.

More and more in life, the people you see going around with the big chip on their shoulder and the rotten attitude, are liberals... usually spoilt liberals. And liberals are very often the one's displaying a very strong superiority complex over other sections of society... while denouncing people like "white supremacists"... :pac:

Where are all these "white supremacists" that you guys are so scared of? I see a lot more "liberal supremacists" out in society... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Trump's losing to inanimate carbon rod.

That's about all there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

It was the same when people were asking "Why isn't Biden talking to the press?" on the days that he was literally talking to the press.

All it did was make them appear to be shockingly uninformed.

Has Biden been asked about the Email claims by the press? I'm willing to bet he hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,610 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There was a reason why he was so hesitant to run for president and we're seeing why.

Whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Rawr

Trump's losing to inanimate carbon rod.

That's about all there is to it.

a54db042c814d5708f457a778f2aadf7.jpg

:D Sorry...can't help myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Former White House Chief of Staff John Kelly says Donald Trump is the 'most flawed person' he's ever met and the 'depth of his dishonesty is just astounding'

More of this please.

Where are all these horrible racist Trump supporters though?

I'm sure there are some, as there are in any movement, but I've met huge amounts of trump supporters over the last several years... I've never met a single neo-nazi or kkk supporter... or any hateful angry people really... I think you liberals have been brainwashed by the left wing sensationalist media outlets.

You are demonizing millions of ordinary decent hard working American citizens, who are not hateful people at all. You can clearly see this in the Trump rallies - it's just ordinary people smiling, laughing and being very civil and peaceful together. Even different ethnicities etc too.

Most Trump supporters I've met, seem very laid back chilled out people. You can even poke some fun at them and their beliefs, and they are not easily offended people.

Most liberals and anti-trump people I've met, seem angry, uptight, cynical, skeptical etc etc... they take themselves and life way too serious. They can't take any criticism or even some light hearted banter aimed at them or their political positions.

More and more in life, the people you see going around with the big chip on their shoulder and the rotten attitude, are liberals... usually spoilt liberals. And liberals are very often the one's displaying a very strong superiority complex over other sections of society... while denouncing people like "white supremacists"... :pac:

Where are all these "white supremacists" that you guys are so scared of? I see a lot more "liberal supremacists" out in society... ;)

Lock him up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,610 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MadYaker wrote:
    Lock him up?

Oh they ll try alright, after his occupancy of the big house

Former White House Chief of Staff John Kelly says Donald Trump is the 'most flawed person' he's ever met and the 'depth of his dishonesty is just astounding'

More of this please.

I'll let his former butler jump to his defence... :D

(Hopefully everyone will simply ignore the fact that a grown man needs a butler... ahem I mean 4 butlers... he's almost as spoilt as all you liberals that hate on him!:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Gretas Gonna Get Ya!, are you American? Or do you currently live in America?

Gretas Gonna Get Ya!, are you American? Or do you currently live in America?

Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?
    Because you've said you have so much experience talking to both Trump supporters (humble, kind, sense of humour) as well as "liberals" (angry, self righteous, no sense of humour). So you must either be an American or you've lived in America to have that experience, right?

Donal Trump calling Matt Gaetz "Rick Gates" at a rally in Florida.......is this a very worrying sign of cognitive decline?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1317206352331067392

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    The other side of the coin is that in 2016 there was almost universal agreement that Trump was a moron with no experience and no interest in running the country. There would be certain doom and he would probably be removed from office before the four years were up.

Four years on and whatever you think of him and the rotating staff, people might look at the actual economic and political result of his win and think he didn't do too badly and exceeded the extremely low expectations.

I personally think he's a sleazy buffoon, but there's the ridiculous idea that the US (or any country) elects the most intelligent, rational person for the job. That's not how it works. People often prefer a brash, controversial candidate that speaks their mind over a career politician who speaks in carefully manicured and focus-group tested non-speak. If democracy worked the way the anti-Trump crowd expect, they would elect a person with a doctorate in economics, sociology and science. They want a flawed real person over a fake ideal person.

The people that prefer and want a guy like this as their leader are a minority thankfully. Or what other democratically elected world-leader would fit this profile? I don’t know anybody in my circle that prefers a brash, constantly lying clown, who only cares about himself and his tv ratings, as their leader, tbh. They are looking for someone that is knowledgeable, compassionate, fair, can lead and talk sense. Trump hasn’t got any of these qualities.

• Advertisement

Because you've said you have so much experience talking to both Trump supporters (humble, kind, sense of humour) as well as "liberals" (angry, self righteous, no sense of humour). So you must either be an American or you've lived in America to have that experience, right?

Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time over there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement