Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Room Clontarf

Options
  • 05-10-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what the Food Room in Clontarf is being converted/renovated to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nandos

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Covid Testing

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Lotts and Co. are moving in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Nandos

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Massage parlour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Seanachai wrote: »
    Anybody know what the Food Room in Clontarf is being converted/renovated to?

https://twitter.com/RoryEnglish/status/1312093348476317696?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The one in Ringsend is excellent, but extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tusky wrote: »
    The one in Ringsend is excellent, but extremely expensive.

D3 Clontarf clearly their target market so.
    I presume it's up their like Donnybrook Fair or Fallon & Byrne.

It'll do well out in the suburbs as many are now working from home and probably happy to pop down for nice quality buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

whiskeyman wrote: »
    D3 Clontarf clearly their target market so.
    I presume it's up their like Donnybrook Fair or Fallon & Byrne.
    It'll do well out in the suburbs as many are now working from home and probably happy to pop down for nice quality buys.

Food Room used to do quite well from East Point lunch times.
    But so many people wfh will probably fill the gap for Lotts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Has anyone been in? Any thoughts? Both times I walked past this weekend it was mobbed with queues down the street! Never been to the original location, is it similar to the Nolan's idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Nandos

They’d be run out of the Tarf...

Talguetler wrote: »
    Has anyone been in? Any thoughts? Both times I walked past this weekend it was mobbed with queues down the street! Never been to the original location, is it similar to the Nolan's idea?

Nolan's wishes it was.

The one near Lansdowne Road is basically a rip off. Two and three items on a shelf at a time, stuff loaded into wooden crates to make it look cheap and cheerful, and everything triple the price you'd get in one of the asian supermarkets. They do sambos for a tenner, for example. Walked around it once, wasn't impressed. The sort of place that will do well in the 'tarf, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The food room was always a crazy rip off; stuff was good; but remember stopping to eat there a few years back and being charged 7 or 8 quid for a croque monsieurs [more fool me for paying it!!!]

Just look at that bank of shops, the [nice] crazy expensive wine shop, a few shops selling fancy ladies clothes, few fancy hair salons etc

Sounds like what has gone in will fit well so :)

I miss Bilash Tandoori

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I've gotten two dodgy coffees in the place since it opened, I thought the first one might have just been teething problems. The lads in the Food Room made great cappuccinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I've gotten two dodgy coffees in the place since it opened, I thought the first one might have just been teething problems. The lads in the Food Room made great cappuccinos.

Top lad, might have lost a few fans in recent months though :rolleyes:. The one coffee I have a day is a treat in an otherwise pretty Spartan lifestyle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I only went to the Food Room a few times in my 10 years in the broad area (it's within 2km) and found it grand, but over priced. Is the food any use?
    And are they selling anything unusual in the food line? Hard to get ingredients for example that I wouldn't find SuperValu or Nolan's.

I was only in Food Room once I think, and I've never lived too far away. There's something about that particular stretch in Clontarf that I don't like, not sure if it's the traffic or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

The Food Room was a total rip-off, I knew they were doomed to fail when they once charged me 30c for a bit of mustard on my already overpriced roll.

I was only in Food Room once I think, and I've never lived too far away. There's something about that particular stretch in Clontarf that I don't like, not sure if it's the traffic or what.

It feels very open and exposed esp when there's a breeze about, the chipper there is very good though.

ixoy wrote: »
    I only went to the Food Room a few times in my 10 years in the broad area (it's within 2km) and found it grand, but over priced. Is the food any use?
    And are they selling anything unusual in the food line? Hard to get ingredients for example that I wouldn't find SuperValu or Nolan's.

There's a good selection of hot sauces and spices etc, decent butchers and artisan bread too.

pm1977x wrote: »
    The Food Room was a total rip-off, I knew they were doomed to fail when they once charged me 30c for a bit of mustard on my already overpriced roll.

The lads here used to keep a stash of condiments in a drawer for when they'd get lunch there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It feels very open and exposed esp when there's a breeze about, the chipper there is very good though.
    Yep, that's what I feel as well. Even though they're both equidistant from me, I much prefer going down to Vernon Avenue if I wanted some food.
    There's a good selection of hot sauces and spices etc, decent butchers and artisan bread too.
    I do like a good hot sauce. For those in the area, there's some nice ones on sale in the Market on Saturday's. Bread there too for what it's worth.

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep, that's what I feel as well. Even though they're both equidistant from me, I much prefer going down to Vernon Avenue if I wanted some food.

I do like a good hot sauce. For those in the area, there's some nice ones on sale in the Market on Saturday's. Bread there too for what it's worth.

The St Anne's market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I miss Bilash Tandoori

what exactly happened there? at the time I remember the barber or someone else around there saying there was an electrical fire in the kitchen? but it never reopened.

Advertisement