Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husqvarna line trimmer

Options
  • 05-10-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Bought a Husqvarna line trimmer earlier this year (129LK petrol model) and it never ran right - so much so that the dealer eventually refunded my money on Saturday morning.

Basically, at first it would run okay for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting out, and then keep cutting out almost immediately after a restart. Some time later, it began thinking hard of starting at all. I brought it back to the dealer at that stage and he did something with it, but it was just back to the situation of running for no more than 5 to 10 minutes before giving the same trouble again. Back to the dealer again then, and he ended up offering me a refund, which I took.

I don't know what the problem was, and I'm guessing he doesn't either, since he just took the thing back. All the usual suggestions such as clogged air filter, leaving fuel mix in over the winter, etc., don't really apply here since the machine was so new in the first place.

Anyway, don't know what to do now, as regards buying another one.

This Husqvarna was to replace an old and cheap Ryobi model that I bought in Woodie's about eight years ago and which never gave any trouble until it stopped working this year and I couldn't find anybody to fix it. Thought I'd buy a "proper" make like Husqvarna this time, so it could be fixed or serviced whenever necessary. But obviously didn't expect to have that many problems straight away!

So - was I somehow just really unfortunate to get a really bad machine in the first place? Should I stick with Husqvarna and try a different model? Or just buy a cheaper one like the one I had before and never had trouble with until it gave up the ghost?

I see another thread here about the one Lidl's selling, for example, but experiences with it seem to be a real mixed bag. Any Husqvarna (or other "proper" brand) users out there able to tell me that I just got a really bad one and that it's worth sticking with the brand? Or any other model to try? Budget about €300 tops.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi all. Bought a Husqvarna line trimmer earlier this year (129LK petrol model) and it never ran right - so much so that the dealer eventually refunded my money on Saturday morning.

Basically, at first it would run okay for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting out, and then keep cutting out almost immediately after a restart. Some time later, it began thinking hard of starting at all. I brought it back to the dealer at that stage and he did something with it, but it was just back to the situation of running for no more than 5 to 10 minutes before giving the same trouble again. Back to the dealer again then, and he ended up offering me a refund, which I took.

I don't know what the problem was, and I'm guessing he doesn't either, since he just took the thing back. All the usual suggestions such as clogged air filter, leaving fuel mix in over the winter, etc., don't really apply here since the machine was so new in the first place.

Anyway, don't know what to do now, as regards buying another one.

This Husqvarna was to replace an old and cheap Ryobi model that I bought in Woodie's about eight years ago and which never gave any trouble until it stopped working this year and I couldn't find anybody to fix it. Thought I'd buy a "proper" make like Husqvarna this time, so it could be fixed or serviced whenever necessary. But obviously didn't expect to have that many problems straight away!

So - was I somehow just really unfortunate to get a really bad machine in the first place? Should I stick with Husqvarna and try a different model? Or just buy a cheaper one like the one I had before and never had trouble with until it gave up the ghost?

I see another thread here about the one Lidl's selling, for example, but experiences with it seem to be a real mixed bag. Any Husqvarna (or other "proper" brand) users out there able to tell me that I just got a really bad one and that it's worth sticking with the brand? Or any other model to try? Budget about €300 tops.

Thanks.

How much strimming? I have a Husqvarna battery strimmer that I get about 20 minutes hard strimming out of before needing to recharge. If you get a spare battery (not cheap) obviously that would be double, and the first would be nearly charged again by the time the second runs out. Hassle free, and saves the bother of petrol, servicing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi there. I probably should have said. :)

Our site's about an acre, so it's roughly three-quarter acre lawn. Generally, I get the strimmer out after each mow, so it's regularly in the summer and not nearly so regularly in the winter.

Doing the edging and around a few things like a railway sleeper flower bed, trampoline, slide/swing set, various trees, etc., probably takes 20 to 30 minutes. A battery one would probably do for that, if you consider it wouldn't actually be running as I walk from one thing to the next.

Bigger job though is at the bottom of the garden, where we've a rough bank about 40 metres long, and where we get nettles, briars, etc. It's the sort of place that would grow into an ordinary ditch if left unchecked, so to keep it some way tidy looking, I do that roughly every 4 to 6 weeks, and it takes 30 to 45 minutes. Don't think a single battery charge would do it, not sure it's worth buying a second battery just for that job, and not sure if a battery one would be powerful enough for briars and nettles anyway.

So, am still thinking of a petrol one. Just hoping for reassurance that I wouldn't be wasting my time opting for Husqvarna again, and that I really was just unlucky to somehow get a bad one the first time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I have a Husqvarna R133 petrol brush cutter about 13 years or so. Never any problem, and it has received absolutely minimum maintenance. It is a more heavy-duty machine than what you had, so not sure how comparable it is. I would put it down to bad luck, as I think they generally have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Try a Husqvarna 129RJ or a Stihl FS 55 R

I have a 128RJ for over 10 years and it's perfect for the type of work you describe. I use Aspen fuel in all my 2 strokes and I never have any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks men. Two votes of confidence in Husqvarna machines that have stood the test of time a lot longer than the one I had! That's exactly what I was hoping for. :)

Will have a look at that 129RJ all right, and the Stihl one too. Hopefully I'll get on better the next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a husqvarna 545 and its never given trouble (also a husvarna hedge trimmer and a leaf blower no bother)

Advertisement