Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pots for Patio

Options
  • 05-10-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

We have a new large patio area almost complete. I am looking for some nice pots
    very open and windy area.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's almost impossible to answer - what style is your garden? What do you like? What are you going to grow in them?

The only suggestion I would make is not to get the ones that curve in at the top, they are almost completely impossible to get a decent sized plant out of them when they are established. If you are only going to use them for bedding type plants they are ok. Whatever you get put plenty of drainage in the bottom, lumps of polystyrene work quite well usually, though in a windy site you may need something heavier like stones - make little bridges over the drainage holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Totally agree with above on shape, I had these and they were a pain, my solution was cut the bottom out of a pot that fit them, I used paint buckets as they were big pots and popped that inside and planted into that, at least it meant if/when I wanted to take the plant out it had straight sides!

Where in the country are you? I travel a bit along the south/west and there are some garden centres with lovely selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Make sure they are frost proof, or be prepared to wrap them in the winter.

If it's windy choose heavy ones or use heavy stones for drainage.

Another vote for not buying pots with top narrower than centre, use an old pot inside if you have one.

Lots of garden centres have a good selection.

I'm not a fan of fibreglass either.

Sometimes old ones come up on auctions for old house contents.

You can make troughs easily enough yourself, lots of plans on internet, using coir or peat in the mix to keep them light.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

And if you're planting anything tall in them, make sure the pot is /heavy/. I've two small trees in lovely grey plastic pots and any orange wind warning has them on their sides and me trying to get teh gravel back ontop of the soil the next day. (or preemptively dragging them down the side of the house...)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Go for largest pots you can find, better than a selection of smaller ones though the latter could be grouped to give better impact. I was looking for some bigger ones earlier in the year post last lockdown and did not find what I wanted but was lucky to find some decent ones at good price in Lidl. Think of spray paint to cheer up or co ordinate plastic pots. I still have a pot I got 40 yrs ago in a pottery in Tipperary/Kilkenny (?) but I do mind them over winter putting up against house facing south so 8 out of 10 years even the geraniums survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The best planters I have are fish boxes.. the rectangular ones that get washed ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Thanks for all your replies. We are in Limerick. I am looking around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I like aluminium buckets. They don't rust and aren't too expensive, especially from a co-op. Sometimes ikea have good value, big aluminium containers that go well with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Homestore and more will often have garden pots and planters half price around February (I know that's abit away)

We have some terracotta ones but the frost has cracked them, but they are yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Limerick, right can't travel too far at the moment! Was going to suggest garden centre in Kilcolgan in Galway, great range there. In Limerick I usually try Homebase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement