Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

satellite and antenna poor Virgin 1 reception at times

• 05-10-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

i Have satellite and and antenna for freeview and saorview and wall was working very well - perfect HD reception on both.,..

I have noticed lately on the Virgin channel for the program Gogglebox it pixelates like mad... all other channels even HD perfect and Virgin absolutly crap...

The Virgin is generally ok... in fact most times perfect but for gogglebox it is unwatchable...

Anyone with similar problems of an explanation.?

Thanks

Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

eddie wrote: »
    i Have satellite and and antenna for freeview and saorview and wall was working very well - perfect HD reception on both.,..

I have noticed lately on the Virgin channel for the program Gogglebox it pixelates like mad... all other channels even HD perfect and Virgin absolutly crap...

The Virgin is generally ok... in fact most times perfect but for gogglebox it is unwatchable...

There's really no chance that your problem is restricted to one channel, much less a single programme. RTE2 & TG4 will also be affected, at least: it's either poor signal or strong interference.

Also being HD or not has no bearing on reception, & 'perfect' reception is often 'just barely good enough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

I am located in Dublin 15 and it is combined satellite / antenna set up... the "interference " is rare on any other of the antenna stations BUT ALWAYS on the one Virgin one... It is not a station we watch much so oit may happen on other programs that I have not noticed but not RTE1 or RTE 2 or we would have noticed,, This is the main TV in the living room, the Kitchen TV see all programs on all channels perfectly even the Bogey Virgin one.

I am located in Dublin 15 and it is combined satellite / antenna set up... the "interference " is rare on any other of the antenna stations BUT ALWAYS on the one Virgin one... It is not a station we watch much so it may happen on other programs that I have not noticed but not RTE1 or RTE 2 or we would have noticed,, This is the main TV in the living room, the Kitchen TV see all programs on all channels perfectly even the Bogey Virgin one.

I never noticed on the saorview channels as I don’t watch them that much, but the boss pointed out to me last night that Virgin and RTE 2 were on the blink as well as TG 4 ( Hector was on )

I have a satellite for the Freeview and aerial for the saorview,.the signal is combined ( multiplexed ? ) and feed all over the house and there is a signal separator at each TV.

Each other TV has a box. Aviva >? and reception is perfect.. my LG LG OLED55E8PLA was perfect but now is dire... on some saorview.. most of the time although sometimes the channel is perfect and RTE1 is always perfect.

I have retuned, set location as Belfast and then as Dublin out of options. !

Anyone any ideas / solutions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Look at the list of Saorview transmitters here and identify which one you are picking up, from the channel numbers / frequencies.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sep-2014.pdf

Go to the menus of your equipment and look for the signal strength on both frequencies. If the aerial was plugged directly into the LG it would be Settings, All Settings, Programmes.

The Mux (Multiplex) 1 frequency carries RTE 2, Virgin 1, Virgin 2, TG4 and RTE News Now. Your signal is too weak on that frequency, not a transmitter fault, your equipment needs to be improved. Mux 2 has RTE 1, the two RTE +1 channels and Virgin 3. Your signal is better on that frequency, but "perfect" could be just slightly stronger than one "on the blink"

Freeview is not satellite, it is the UK terrestrial. You have satellite for Freesat or Free to Air Satellite.

... I have a satellite for the Freeview and aerial for the saorview,.the signal is combined ( multiplexed ? ) and feed all over the house and there is a signal separator at each TV.

I suppose the aerial is near the satellite dish then, the emphasis being on installer convenience/cost saving, rather than finding the best location in terms of received signal.

• Advertisement

I suppose the aerial is near the satellite dish then, the emphasis being on installer convenience/cost saving, rather than finding the best location in terms of received signal.

Yes same bracket.!

Look at the list of Saorview transmitters here and identify which one you are picking up, from the channel numbers / frequencies.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sep-2014.pdf

Go to the menus of your equipment and look for the signal strength on both frequencies. If the aerial was plugged directly into the LG it would be Settings, All Settings, Programmes.

The Mux (Multiplex) 1 frequency carries RTE 2, Virgin 1, Virgin 2, TG4 and RTE News Now. Your signal is too weak on that frequency, not a transmitter fault, your equipment needs to be improved. Mux 2 has RTE 1, the two RTE +1 channels and Virgin 3. Your signal is better on that frequency, but "perfect" could be just slightly stronger than one "on the blink"

Freeview is not satellite, it is the UK terrestrial. You have satellite for Freesat or Free to Air Satellite.

Thank you for great explanation. When you say my equipment needs to be improved.. do you have any idea how,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When there is signal loss a better aerial installation is usually the first place to look. I'm not sure from what you posted whether your aerial is plugged directly into your LG tv. If not, try that if you can. Look at the signal strength before and after.

Yes same bracket.!

That's more than likely the root of the problem: I suppose the whole lot isn't even that high up?

With that method of distribution, I take it there's no amplification for the terrestrial signal either? (Probably the LNB has a terr. input.)

When there is signal loss a better aerial installation is usually the first place to look. I'm not sure from what you posted whether your aerial is plugged directly into your LG tv. If not, try that if you can. Look at the signal strength before and after.

My aerial and satellite are first fed to a "distribution box" ( mulitplexed??) in the attic and and from that box there is a single cable to each of 5 TV's - at each TC they is a mall breakout connector box, one cable in and 2 cables out, one for Satellite and one for aerial - 4 x TV's had the ariva Saor box,and reception is still perfect. LG TV is connected without an ariva box,and was working perfectly until approx 6 -9 months ago - but now is dire... the satellite and aerial are mounted at the same height and direction as all others around me on the 2nd story of a 2 story house.

• Advertisement

Try & bring up the channel nos. or frequencies the problem TV & at least one of the 'good' boxes are receiving on. (E.g. Three Rock transmitter has Virgin & RTE2 on ch. 30 or 546 MHz.)

Advertisement