Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartthings compatible smart switch

• 05-10-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭

I have an led mirror controlled by a switch at the bedside. I want to be able to control it remotely, preferably by an app compatible with the Samsung Smartthings app as I have other appliances and switches on it too.

Any advice on what I need to use? Something like a Sonoff smart relay?

To complicate things, I want to keep the physical switch operational. So fo I maybe need to use a 3 way switch?

Pics attached of what is currently behind the plate:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There are 3 switches on the plate. Left is the ceiling light, centre is the led mirror (the one I want to operate remotely) and the right is a reading light.

528357.jpg

528358.jpg

528359.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not a sparky so I could be very wrong here but it doesn't looks like there's a neutral wire there so normal smartswitches won't be an option, getting a 3 gang smartswitch might be trickey, I ordered a switch off Aliexpress before Covid that never arrived, if I can find it I'll share it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This is what I ordered https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000378125739.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2edd4c4dijeSQx never got out of China but I got my money back. I'm trying to find a 3 gang (like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000631011586.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.47441cfcd8ZX5Y) but it looks to me like they all need neutral wires :(

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm not a sparky so I could be very wrong here but it doesn't looks like there's a neutral wire there so normal smartswitches won't be an option

This mirror was only wired new a few weeks ago. Would it be hard to add a neutral?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This mirror was only wired new a few weeks ago. Would it be hard to add a neutral?

If you knew me in the real world you'd realise how stupid a person I'd be to ask anything electrical about, 1s and 0s I'll give it a go, watts ohms volts amps, well that's just stuff that could kill you.

But to add a wire means bringing it from start to finish so it'd imagine it'd be a bit of job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I don't think a Fibaro module needs neutral, so that could work. Space looks a little tight though.

I don't think a Fibaro module needs neutral, so that could work. Space looks a little tight though.

Does it need to be in the box? Or could I run the cable up the wall and let the module sit behind the mirror itself, where there is loads of space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Does it need to be in the box? Or could I run the cable up the wall and let the module sit behind the mirror itself, where there is loads of space?

That looks like a plasterboard wall,.and the switch is.right under neath the mirror ? There should be a neutral behind the mirror so ?

That looks like a plasterboard wall,.and the switch is.right under neath the mirror ? There should be a neutral behind the mirror so ?

Wall was recently dry lined, so there is ducting in there for cables. I've contacted the spark to come back, he's going to run neutrals wherever needed.

Advertisement