Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumble dryer developed a fault less than a week old

Options
  • 05-10-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I purchased a tumble dryer from Powercity it arrived last Tuesday. Last night after a drying cycle it started to act strange it wouldn't switch off and all the lights on the display panel were flashing. I am no tumble dryer expert but I know it shouldn't have done that being only 5 days old.

I contacted Powercity they want a Whirlpool engineer to visit to repair the issue, to be honest I don't want a engineer poking around the inside of my brand new dryer, okay if it was a few years old fair enough.

What options do I have here? Am I entitled for Powercity to take it back and offer me a new one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The retailer decides the remedy so you'll have to let them send someone out to look at it. Just make sure you're there to see what they're doing. They will probably do a straightforward diagnostic test and either change the controller or replace the whole machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They have to be given the opportunity to fix, replace or refund.

The fix also could be over considerable time, such as fixed today and goes again every few months etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The retailer decides the remedy so you'll have to let them send someone out to look at it. Just make sure you're there to see what they're doing. They will probably do a straightforward diagnostic test and either change the controller or replace the whole machine.

This is not true following from the posted citizens information link it has the ccpc's website and on there it mentions

You have the following options:

Reject the item – full refund
    Repair
    Replacement
    Price reduction

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

They have to be given the opportunity to fix, replace or refund.

The fix also could be over considerable time, such as fixed today and goes again every few months etc.....

A fix must be permanent.

for a machine that is only a week old, I don't think a fix is appropriate. I'd be chasing a Full refund or a new machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stevek93 wrote: »
    This is not true following from the posted citizens information link it has the ccpc's website and on there it mentions

You have the following options:

Reject the item – full refund
    Repair
    Replacement
    Price reduction

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/

The retailer decides whether to refund replace or repair though.

The CCPC site is a bit misleading with the word ‘options’

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They're within their rights at this stage:

Note though that none of this can cause significant inconvenience.
    (1) The seller shall be liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity referred to in Regulation 5 which exists at the time the goods were delivered.

(2) In the case of such a lack of conformity, the consumer shall, subject to, and, in accordance with, this Regulation, be entitled to have —

(a) the goods brought into conformity free of charge by repair or replacement, or

(b) an appropriate reduction made in the price, or

(c) the contract rescinded with regard to those goods.

(3) In the first place, the consumer may require the seller to repair the goods or to replace them (in either case free of charge) unless this is impossible or disproportionate.

(4) Either of these remedies shall be deemed to be disproportionate if it imposes costs on the seller which, in comparison with those of the other remedy or of any other remedy mentioned in this Regulation, are unreasonable, taking into account —

(a) the value the goods would have if there were no lack of conformity,

(b) the significance of the lack of conformity, and

(c) whether the alternative remedy could be completed without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

(5) Where the remedy of repair or replacement is provided the repair or replacement shall be completed within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience to the consumer, taking account of the nature of the goods and the purpose for which the consumer required them.

(6) In paragraphs (2) and (3) “free of charge” means free of the costs that must necessarily be incurred to bring the goods into conformity, including the cost of carriage postage, labour and materials.

(7) The consumer may require an appropriate reduction of the price or have the contract rescinded if —

(a) the consumer is entitled to neither repair nor replacement, or

(b) the seller has not completed the repair or replacement within a reasonable time, or

(c) the seller has not completed the repair or replacement without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

(8) The consumer is not entitled to have the contract rescinded if the lack of conformity is minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

If a fault appears within the first 6 months;

It is automatically assumed the fault was there from the date of purchase or delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

It is automatically assumed the fault was there from the date of purchase or delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html#

This never gets through to retailers tho. You have to go down the line of the scc route and close to the due date they’ll end up sending you a cheque.

Op what I’d do is speak to a manager see what they can do and as always be polite even if your not getting through to them. see what the outcome is and from there make your mind up.

If they give you refund/replacement great

If they want to repair it. I’d buy a new machine and follow SCC process

You’ll get your money back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

As an FYI I’ve found whirlpool a pleasure to deal with in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newuser12345

Having recently experienced a similar issue and not having read the manual -check the water reservoir and filter-before calling them

If you not pumping out to a drain there should be a removable internal drawer that collects the water - this needs to be emptied

There should also be a removable filter that needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned

Lastly these work off drying sensors and depending on the setting it may think the clothes are dry enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

skinny90 wrote: »
    This never gets through to retailers tho. You have to go down the line of the scc route and close to the due date they’ll end up sending you a cheque.

Op what I’d do is speak to a manager see what they can do and as always be polite even if your not getting through to them. see what the outcome is and from there make your mind up.

If they give you refund/replacement great

If they want to repair it. I’d buy a new machine and follow SCC process

You’ll get your money back

SCC will throw the case back to you and you'll have wasted €25. SCC is there if you cannot come to an agreement.

Its probably a simple software issue that is easily rectified by a authorised repair person

BTW, a quick google search suggests a blockage. Check the outlet pipes. You very well may have done something on installation.

So best to find out what it is before casting blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I can beat this. I bought a Zanussi oven and when I wired it in, it just flashed error. Never even got a day out of it.

Got DID to email the supplier and engineer appeared next day. Checked connections and there was a click. Whoever assembled it never pushed a plug in properly. Fixed in 5 minutes.

Let the supplier look at it. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I can beat this. I bought a Zanussi oven and when I wired it in, it just flashed error. Never even got a day out of it.

Got DID to email the supplier and engineer appeared next day. Checked connections and there was a click. Whoever assembled it never pushed a plug in properly. Fixed in 5 minutes.

Let the supplier look at it. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'll raise you sir :)

New dishwasher, installed it, couldn't get it to work - tried everything, called store, they got service person out, had to agree €50 fee if not a fault.

Service guy came, looked at it - took transport stopper out of the pipe, asked for €50 :) - he showed me where it said this on page 1 of the instruction booklet.

I still get a laugh out of my embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

silver2020 wrote: »
    I'll raise you sir :)

New dishwasher, installed it, couldn't get it to work - tried everything, called store, they got service person out, had to agree €50 fee if not a fault.

Service guy came, looked at it - took transport stopper out of the pipe, asked for €50 :) - he showed me where it said this on page 1 of the instruction booklet.

I still get a laugh out of my embarrassment.
    You dope. At least you can laugh about it now. :D

Advertisement