Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

GPO advances to the Dublin Qualifying play-off

cdeb's last minute vote sealed the deal for the GPO. It was tied with Kilmainham Gaol until literally the last few seconds. War Memorial Gardens in a respectable third. Hold tight for the second premlim battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Unlucky Killy, good game

Poolbeg Chimneys

poolbeg-chimneys-at-sunset-gearoid-guilfoyle.jpg

Guinness Storehouse

event_stay_safe_at_home.jpg

Ha'Penny Bridge

maxresdefault.jpg

Croke Park

aerial-view-of-stadium.jpg

St Stephens Green

wo2_3_QMM6NXTlhq8pK93-6eyIuz-BBRDiaSE0e3pFXJ3nh80jA74GIgqukJxeZZiraefAhzpKsYByY20KLz_ESyY0RWLqZX2LuYV0-OqJkMUzcBUv5uFyquWJXd0PWLRp5CM4NiMozDdBbxnjtc3eAdum4J8NKyy2o4tfFbPeBFtJO6ls0

Great South Wall

great-south-wall.jpg

Phoenix Park

22853413109_3a9c9bc186_k.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Croke Park

Bit of bias but I think Croker is a stand out stadium in Europe tbh. Iconic in the Dublin landscape and that journey into Connolly Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Guinness storehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ha'Penny Bridge - it's iconic, and I always enjoy crossing it a million times more than all the other boring bridges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Omackeral wrote: »
    Poolbeg Chimneys
    Phoenix Park
    These were the two I was thinking of, although I did forget Croker :o

I vote for the Poolbeg Chimneys. I just love the look of them, and any city should have an iconic skyline and these are the best Dublin has for me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Guinness Storehouse, the legacy of Guinness itself deserves the win and they put on a good show in the storehouse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Think a couple of images aren't coming through properly there? Also, I think my DART nomination has definitely been left out this time :)

That said, I think this is a stronger bout than last time. The Poolbeg chimneys are iconic (though maybe I'm biased as my first job was there). The Ha'penny Bridge is one of the main landmarks of Dublin, even featuring in Phil Lynott's Old Town of course. Then you've Croker (one of Europe's great sporting venues), the DART (one of Europe's great commuter trains) and the Phoenix Park (one of Europe's great urban parks)

Spoiled for choice here. I like the open air, so I'm tempted to go with the Phoenix Park, but feck it - the Ha'penny Bridge says "Dublin" more than the others for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Guinness Storehouse it's like Willy Wonka for alcoholics, great place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Phoenix Park. Had the privilege of living next door to it and also working in the park for a while. Spent hours walking and running it without getting bored. A haven in the centre of the city.

tough one!!

I will go with the Guinness Storehouse, not just because of the touristy stuff of the actual storehouse, but the huge amount of influence that Guinness has had on Dublin, all the buildings around Dublin 8, Iveagh buildings, Farmleigh house which Guinness gave to the state, not to mention the actual brewery itself!
    Guinness is known worldwide, moreso than any other Irish landmark thingy

5 minutes remaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Funny Cdeb I think, as a non-Dub who visits only when absolutely necessary, this is a weaker round to the last one.:confused:
    Anyway Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Great South Wall should really be combined with the Poolbeg chimneys!

Think I'll plump for the chimneys - they're a huge symbol of Dublin, always remind me of returning on the ferry or plane, and they were nearly going to knock them a few years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I vote for the Poolbeg Chimneys. I just love the look of them, and any city should have an iconic skyline and these are the best Dublin has for me

Same for the same reason

Purgative wrote: »
    Funny Cdeb I think, as a non-Dub who visits only when absolutely necessary, this is a weaker round to the last one.:confused:
    Anyway Croke Park.
    Temple Bar and the Spire were weak links in the first bout for me (plus Trinity, but I'm biased there :p )

I don't think there's a similar weak link in this bout.

But horses for courses of course; opinions is what all this is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only came on here to vote for the disembodied head of Luke Kelly with metal hair so sadly my first choice is gone so I'm going for

Croke Park.

Area around the storehouse is lovely but the exhibition itself is a cheap moneygrab

Guinness Storehouse advances to the Dublin Qualifying match

• Advertisement

Storehouse finished one vote ahead of Croke Park and the Poolbeg Chimneys. I'm actually suprised at that result tbh. DART wasn't included cdeb as the others all recieved multiple noms so I had to cut it on that basis mostly. Also, Wicklow would be giving out!

Anyone suprised by any omissions? I thought Liberty Hall, Pepper Cannister and Big Jim Larkin might have had shouts. Suprised that none of Aras an Uactharain, Pope's Cross, Magazine Fort or Wellington Memorial were nominated on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Storehouse finished one vote ahead of Croke Park and the Poolbeg Chimneys. I'm actually suprised at that result tbh. DART wasn't included cdeb as the others all recieved multiple noms so I had to cut it on that basis mostly. Also, Wicklow would be giving out!

Anyone suprised by any omissions? I thought Liberty Hall, Pepper Cannister and Big Jim Larkin might have had shouts. Suprised that none of Aras an Uactharain, Pope's Cross, Magazine Fort or Wellington Memorial were nominated on their own.

I would have put Collins barracks down as my national winner. I've went to Dublin more than once just to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Shocked at that one. Storehouse for me is down there with Temple Bar.

GPO

1780994054_gpowitnesshistory2018_4.jpg

VS

Guinness Storehouse

event_stay_safe_at_home.jpg

DART wasn't included cdeb as the others all recieved multiple noms so I had to cut it on that basis mostly. Also, Wicklow would be giving out!
    I am Wicklow and I'm giving out! :p

Wouldn't have progressed anyway, but it deserves a mention.

For those interested, get the Wexford train from Connolly Station all the way down to Rosslare Harbour; it's a great trip with varied scenery, all of it great.

I missed the start for the noms, there were so many parts of Dublin I could have nominated!!
    Killiney Hill, 3 Rock mountain, Bull island, Howth lighthouse..... You could go on & on!!
    surprised there were so few!

Anyway, to the play-off. This is no contest for me. A tourist spot against living heritage. The GPO walks this one for me. The multi-culturalists will give out, but I love that even all the staff are Dubs; gives it a proper sense of place too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

GPO for me for the significant history behind it.

my vote is for Guinness

for the huge impact that the Guinness family had on the city of Dublin, particularly the architecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

GPO its iconic. If I could only see one thing that would be it.

Advertisement