Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I thought Adare might get a mention in Limerick, both the Manor and the thatched cottages...

image.jpg
    Thatched%2Bcottages%2B1%252C%2BAdare%252C%2BPatrick%2BComerford%252C%2B2016.JPG

And I don't think the Liss Ard sky garden got a mention in Cork (I did miss Cork though, so just skimmed it)...

Garden.jpg

...or the Baltimore Beacon

baltimore-beacon-202_3563.jpg

There's also the night canoeing in the photoluminescence of Lough Hyne which is awesome, but impossible to get a decent picture of

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I walked there from school to play football at lunchtime, so I'm pretty sure it is.

90% is in Castleconnor, that little stream beside the lifeguard building is the parish boundary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You could be right. A world version might involve prelims for up to 195 countries, would be challenging to organise. Europe would at least limit it to 50 or so. I suppose it depends how much time and energy Omackeral can commit.
    I like that idea actually. I'm sure between the boardsies, we've travelled a fair bit, so it'd be kind of a like a megathread of exchanging travel ideas. Would be a great one to come out of full lockdown with. I've already marked a good few of these here for when Level 3 lifts.

Our benevolent host Omackeral depending of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Ok been through the thread
    Agreed with most to be honest except

Antrim Yes the Giant's Causeway is iconic but for me when visiting, it was a massive anti-climax. The bridge however is so different and yes the bridge has changed several times but i just think that the feat of building a bridge over 300 years ago was spectacular. My kids favourite place to ever visit.

Louth the Boyne Viaduct for me.

Mayo while i like Downpatrick Head Sea Stack i probably would have voted for Killary Fjord

Sligo Benbulben would have gotten my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is your half hour warning! We kick of Round 1 in 30 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

OOh missed most of the weekend but most of the picks i'd have agreed with.

Still astonished that the customs House didn't make it in the Noms for Dublin

I missed the nomination part of this so I'm working on my world nominations already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Missed all weekend, really put in perspective the crazy amount of scenery and attractions around ireland

So here we are at the knockouts! The rules are as follows;

- Each match is randomly drawn using a number generator

- Each match will have a duration of 30 minutes

- The landmark with most votes will progress. In the event of a draw, reasons given will be used for tie-breaker purposes

Mayo

Downpatrick Head Sea Stack

5829968_e6c42fdb.jpg

VS

Longford

The Corlea Trackway

kt72ZAFPRaGQdb19birKaT1hZIEj89oAfG2GLr7dnJQr1YKFgZ3Q0YBV2OP7ukeFlQqAO1AoZLLGE0_wp3eJNyaPgc3_mX1hCAo1Q7wJtIzdMNu6x3rx6w

• Advertisement

Corlea Trackway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's stunning, it really is

I don't really get the trackway to be honest

The sea stack. (Though I thought the house knocked it out!)

Trackway has a nice bit of history to it, but that's trumped by a nice dramatic sea stack

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Downpatrick sea stack.

Had to google the trackway, and it sounds seriously underwhelming (albeit very interesting).

On the other hand, I would expect the sea stack to exceed all expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Downpatrick. Its beautiful and unique (pretty much - I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Downpatrick Head Sea Stack ; looks class, and I also don't get the appeal of the Trackway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Downpatrick Head Sea Stack also called Dún Briste

Dún Briste literally means “broken fort” and refers to the fact that at one time the stack was connected to the mainland. It was severed from the mainland during a massive storm in 1393.

The stack currently rises around 50 metres out of the water and is topped with a grassy crown. It is home to many nesting birds.

It seems like a fascinating place with ruins of a church close by and a blow hole. It appears to have historical significance as well as natural significance. This is one place I definitely have to see. Gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Downpatrick, beautiful sight and really interesting background to how its formed

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Sea stack, incredible feature in an incredible landscape. The whole of Downpatrick head is unreal, with the blowhole, cliffs, Eire 64 sign etc.

The track is easily the weakest landmark in the comp

• Advertisement

Ah Poor Longford! Sea stack it is

10 minutes remaining

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:

Easy winner here. Longford out in the first round, just like the GAA championship so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Downpatrick head is the first place I bring visitors to Mayo, it’s absolutely breathtaking. It’s nicer on a really stormy day when the waves are crashing all around

Downpatrick Head Sea Stack advances to Round 2

Kerry

Skellig Islands

37769_1_articlelarge_bn-979599_1f67e6e8b9a44ad9a21daae6c799d856.jpg

VS

Fermanagh

Cuilcagh Mountain Trail aka Stairway to Heaven

18698507_1560700740608758_748833635017034395_n.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gonna go with Stairway to Heaven here. I don't think they have a chance in hell up against the Skelligs but I'd prefer to visit there than Skelligs so....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Skellig Islands ; genuinely unique and can't lose to what is essentially just a stairs...

Skellig Islands ; genuinely unique and can't lose to what is essentially just a stairs...
    Harsh but fair. Can't argue against that.

• Advertisement

Skellig Islands

Advertisement