Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Aillwee Caves because its a cave that people may not be as familiar with as the cliffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Tough one this round. Would be happy with any of them to go forward except Fr Teds House.

The Caves and Bunratty Folk Park were a day out when we used to go down to my Grannys in Tipp as a young lad. Have to go with the Cliffs of Moher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Cliffs - they're all good but Cliffs really have something.

The Burren a close second

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sawduck wrote: »
    Cliffs of Moher
    They look amazing, i will visit here someday, maybe
    You'll withdraw your vote when you do, massively disappointing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Cliffs of Moher get my vote.
    I've been there and the scenery is really impressive, especially if you see it from the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cliffs of Moher will represent Clare

Burren might have got more votes if used a photo of the Poulnabrone dolmen. But considering doolin cave or Craggaunowen arent even top 5 and all the other castles and sights tis fair enough

Father Ted's might have gotten more if I used Bishop Brennan getting kicked up the arse. There's over 200 here, I have loads to get pics for :pac:

Blarney Castle and Stone

blarney-castle-1.jpg

Ballycotton Lighthouse

il_570xN.1262635129_h1nv.jpg

Spike Island

Ireland-Spike-Island.jpg

Titanic Experience Cobh

Titanic-Experience-Cobh1.png

Michael Collins Monument

RrEarYn3gJx62YL_3alb5I3MkR1QiQEmAoON0SmKM0KJA1A23QZur5vLl_PprkzpmhHqfQ5GXqF7MgQKokx_jpixg2sjbzoRdNFg2KS3h6ehlaEsG8VLPCqd91ME2d89q3AM-AcZBc2SeQ

Inchydoney Beach

inchydoney-mobile.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Fastnet as well, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ballycotton Lighthouse ; watched far too much Round The Twist as a kid and therefore think lighthouses are infinitely more interesting than they actually are

Clare should have been broken in half, not fair to competition to have a County with that much strength in depth ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Ballycotton Lighthouse

Going for this one, it's honestly phenomenal up close. Parents have a holiday home about 10 miles from Ballycotton and it's a gorgeous area. The Cliff Walks are amazing too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Spike Island I visited here last year and thought it was great, loved hearing about it's history too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Spike Island

Blarney Castle.

Great place to visit.

Overall, slim pickings from the Republic.

OK, well I'll go with Ballycotton seeing as my Cork nomination (Fastnet) slipped off the list! They're both lighthouses anyway, though Fastnet is a bit mentaller (albeit Ballycotton is supposed to be lovely in general alright)

5 minutes remaining

cdeb wrote: »
    Fastnet as well, no?

Cork got more than 8 nominations. In that case, we split the matches into two preliminary bouts. The winners then play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Spike Island. Looks really interesting

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Cork got more than 8 nominations. In that case, we split the matches into two preliminary bouts. The winners then play off.
    Oh cool. That was probably in the rules somewhere, but you know, like I read the rules :)

Hold tight while I tot up the the poll. Just to reiterate, any county that got 8 or more nominations will be split in half. Each match is labeled either qualifier or preliminary. Don't worry, your nominations will show up!

Ailwee caves for me, in what is surely the group of death. Goes to show the richness of available attractions in Co. Clare.

I suspect the Cliffs will take this one but there are cliffs everywhere. Bears from 10,000 years ago are another matter, however, imagine being chased across the Burren by an Irish bear?

You could argue that the Burren encompasses the caves but as they're both separate entries, the caves win, hands down.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, typed this up then got distracted and only hit submit when it was too late

Ok so it was a tie between Ballycotton Lighthouse and Spike Island. Let's attempt to split them.

Ballycotton Lighthouse ; watched far too much Round The Twist as a kid and therefore think lighthouses are infinitely more interesting than they actually are

Tedious enough but it counts :P 1-0
    Necro wrote: »
    Going for this one, it's honestly phenomenal up close. Parents have a holiday home about 10 miles from Ballycotton and it's a gorgeous area. The Cliff Walks are amazing too

Spot on. 2-0
    Spike Island I visited here last year and thought it was great, loved hearing about it's history too

Yep, checks out. 2-1
    OK, well I'll go with Ballycotton seeing as my Cork nomination (Fastnet) slipped off the list! They're both lighthouses anyway, though Fastnet is a bit mentaller (albeit Ballycotton is supposed to be lovely in general alright)

Ha ha bang of consolation off this but it's still a reason. 3-1

Ok so it was a tie between Ballycotton Lighthouse and Spike Island. Let's attempt to split them.

Tedious enough but it counts :P 1-0
    Necro wrote: »

Spot on. 2-0

Yep, checks out. 2-1

Ha ha bang of consolation off this but it's still a reason. 3-1
    Purgative wrote: »
    Spike Island

No reason given, 3-1.
    ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Spike Island. Looks really interesting

Fair enough. 3-2

Ballycotton advances to the County Cork Play-off

Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral

MPNe9kXwVdESA6uHQ5N61yvY4EKfKCKjc1KFZ4Zb_DIDh4nb_2cu0eJQWcixeGsH5593xnsC-5JuXd1z4b5S_xOXF54rNaL-KUocMW4pB0acwKocbHNKJPcYw4UoQuS-ghOnmsXClEQ

Mizen Head

sdp14_mizenhead_main.jpg

Charles Fort

Charles-Fort-AirCam-Ireland.jpg

Fastnet Lighthouse

fastnet-cape1.jpg

Michael Collins House Museum

michael-collins-house.jpg

Cork City Gaol

cork_gaol.jpg

Midleton Distillery Brewery

3703966149_15ed1eb21c.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Charles Fort

Stacked round but think I have to go for the fort. Have been there a couple of times on holidays and just love that part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Charles Fort. Looks deadly

Huzzah!

I shall (somewhat embarrassedly) vote for my nomination, Fastnet.

6 miles out to see on a rock, hit by 150 foot waves and 120mph winds.

And yes, you can go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Charles Fort ; looks bad-ass, definitely want to go check that out at some point

• Advertisement

Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Advertisement