Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mobile broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The DIY way to do it is secure a phone (with hotspot activated) to a 20ft pole and do a speed test from a second phone via WiFi.

Regarding antenna...
    The frequencies in use and for future use across all technologies (2/3/4/5G) are....
    700, 800, 900, 1800, 2100, 2300, 2600, 3600MHz

There might be a couple of other frequencies but they're the main ones.

Something like one from this selection (each have different frequency ranges)...
    https://www.eurodk.com/en/search?s=Iskra+mimo

You may get more benefit from the lower and mid range frequency compatible antenna than the upper 5G frequency of 3600MHz if you're in a rural location so a range of 700-2700MHz is what to look for. And also remember that the wider the frequency range of an antenna, the lower overall gain across the range than an antenna with a narrower range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

kryan1 wrote: »
    is there any any test equipment available that I could use to test what kinda signal I would get if I was to install an external antenna. I am on the edge for 4g coverage and I am line of sight from the mobile mast. I have a 3 dongle and in side I can get 10mb. If I was to get and external antenna would this boost the signal.
    Something like the below or even one thats would be compatible with 5g.
    https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/lte-outdoor-antennas/3g4g-lte-24dbi-outdoor-parabolic-antenna-1800mhz

https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/3g-4g-routers/huawei-b535-232-lte-white

All of the mobile providers have a 2 week cool off so you can sign up and try at home before committing to a contract.

I don't know who has the best PAYG mobile broadband suitable for home use. Vodafones 300GB is great but looks to be contract only. Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

All of the mobile providers have a 2 week cool off so you can sign up and try at home before committing to a contract.

Then all they have to do is throttle the connection after 2 weeks.
    I don't know who has the best PAYG mobile broadband suitable for home use. Vodafones 300GB is great but looks to be contract only. Any opinions?

There are 2 unlimited PAYG options using a phone SIM in an unlocked router....

- Three PAYG phone SIM 20euro/28 days
    - Vodafone X phone SIM 20euro/28 days

Gomo and Eir have No Limits Data for 12.99 and 20 euro respectively but there have been reports of throttling down to about 5Mbps after the fair use of 80GB is exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

padraig.od wrote: »

We are with 3 and in an area where 3g is 'Good' and 4g is 'Fair' but each and every evening the signal drops to ****. I mean ranging from 0.2mbs to 1.1mbs. Many evenings Netflix doesn't even work.

Vodafone apparently is 'Good' in the area so with my wife already with them, I switched my phone from 3 to VF. Its better but still I struggle to stream football. YouTube and Netflix are fine.

Went in to Vodafone store and asked could we get the broadband to try it out to see if its better and we were told the 2 week period only applies where there is little to no signal (if you average a certain daily speed this is deemed fine) or faulty equipment.

After many, many, many discussions with 3 I've been advised that our average speed meets their terms. If you hit 2.5mbs download at least once each day, they've met the contract. And they say our average speed is more than acceptable because early mornings we get 15-20mbs for a few hours so this totally skews the stats. Their support is beyond rubbish. Upgrade the routers is what I was told even though I told them they told me that 2 years ago and that new router made no difference.

Advertisement