Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New hot water cylinder recommendations

• 05-10-2020 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Evening ,
    I need to get a new hot water cylinder, 200l ,I am thinking stainless as the 2 previous copper ones have not lasted.
    What do ye recommend?
    Twin coil needed for solid stove and oil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Question that might help other plumbers to help you: why didn't the last two cylinders last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Question that might help other plumbers to help you: why didn't the last two cylinders last?

In an extremely hard water area, have now fitted a water softener. There is a hole in a coil which is filling the header tank and overflowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

One might associate a holed coil with low PH acidic water, I have seen a few coils covered in limestone but still water tight apart from transferring little heat and taking hours to heat the DHW cylinder.

John.G wrote: »
    One might associate a holed coil with low PH acidic water, I have seen a few coils covered in limestone but still water tight apart from transferring little heat and taking hours to heat the DHW cylinder.

Must get a ph test strip and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Most manufacturers of stainless steel will void the warranty if the cylinder is used with artificially softened water

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Most manufacturers of stainless steel will void the warranty if the cylinder is used with artificially softened water

Am I better to stick to copper so?

Redriddick wrote: »
    Am I better to stick to copper so?

I’d go with grade 2 copper and water Softner. And don’t use your immersion

The PH strip or better again a water analysis might point the way to go, can you see the coil (or the last one) to see how heavily scaled up it is?, also if you were using a immersion then that element will scale up much faster due to very high element temperature.

The PH strip or better again a water analysis might point the way to go, can you see the coil (or the last one) to see how heavily scaled up it is?, also if you were using a immersion then that element will scale up much faster due to very high element temperature.

Dont use the immersion at all, oil for half an hour .

I’d go with grade 2 copper and water Softner. And don’t use your immersion

Thanks mate will have a look around and see where is best to get one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Evening ,
    I need to get a new hot water cylinder, 200l ,I am thinking stainless as the 2 previous copper ones have not lasted.
    What do ye recommend?
    Twin coil needed for solid stove and oil

Not answering your question but asking another one - do you need a twin coil cylinder for oil & solid fuel, would single coil do ?
    Not being a plumber I thought you could heat the cylinder off solid fuel stove by direct cylinder system and use the single coil off the oil boiler.
    M.

monseiur wrote: »
    Not answering your question but asking another one - do you need a twin coil cylinder for oil & solid fuel, would single coil do ?
    Not being a plumber I thought you could heat the cylinder off solid fuel stove by direct cylinder system and use the single coil off the oil boiler.
    M.

That's not possible, stove circuit must be open or you technically have a bomb in your house

M.

Absolutely not. Has to be dual coil.

You can do it with a vented heat store (direct cylinder system) where the solid stove circulates the water directly around the cylinder, normally, the gas/oil fired would do likewise (direct) with two different tapping points but you could do it with a coil and also have a solar powered second coil, the DHW is then normally supplied by the mains water flowing directly through another coil.

Absolutely not. Has to be dual coil.

I beg to differ with you when you say ''that it has to be'' dual coil
    A solid fuel stove with boiler has to be plumbed into an open vented system.
    You can heat the water in the cylinder (using basic gravity) without even a single coil in the cylinder. Fact normally called a direct cylinder system
    To heat the same cylinder using, say, an oil boiler the cylinder would need one coil for this purpose. Fact.

That's not possible, stove circuit must be open or you technically have a bomb in your house

Can you explain how could this be.
    A stove with boiler has to be plumbed into an open vented system.
    As I have explained elsewhere it is possible to heat the water in a cylinder connected to solid fuel stove boiler without having a coil fitted. With a dual coil it is possible to heat the same cylinder with say an oil or gas boiler and say solar panels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You can heat the water in the cylinder (using basic gravity) without even a single coil in the cylinder. Fact normally called a direct cylinder system
    To heat the same cylinder using, say, an oil boiler the cylinder would need one coil for this purpose. Fact.
    What's possible and what's best and usual practice are different things.
    If you hadn't finished with the word "fact" I would not even have replied to this. It created a confrontational tone to your post.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    What's possible and what's best and usual practice are different things.
    If you hadn't finished with the word "fact" I would not even have replied to this. It created a confrontational tone to your post.

Apologies moderator, my post was not meant to be confrontational.
    M.

Apologies moderator, my post was not meant to be confrontational.
    M.

Thanks. I guessed as much. That's why I didn't reply in bold lettering.

No chief, it has to be dual coil. Unless the cooker is 80 years old and has a bronze boiler then any modern stove with a steel boiler will rot. I’m assuming it hasn’t a bronze boiler and the stove heats the radiators too.
    There are the more expensive options of heat genies etc but that’s making things complicated.

• Advertisement

The thing to remember with the above (re monseiur post) is that the hot water in the cylinder forms the primary circuit and cannot be used for washing/showers etc, it will/should also contain inhibitor etc to prevent corrosion in the boiler stove and/or in a gas or oil fired boiler if these are heating this primary water directly as well and in the whole heating system including radiators and UFH if installed, these systems will generally but not always have a separate circulating pump. The DHW is heated by running mains water through a coil in the cylinder.

You can do it with a vented heat store (direct cylinder system) where the solid stove circulates the water directly around the cylinder, normally, the gas/oil fired would do likewise (direct) with two different tapping points but you could do it with a coil and also have a solar powered second coil, the DHW is then normally supplied by the mains water flowing directly through another coil.

I have never seen anything like this before?

I have never seen anything like this before?
    I think some heat stores work something like that, but not sure.

I think they are popular on the continent, if you google "maxipod" you will get a idea of how they work.

also put maxipod in the boards search box, above.

I think they are popular on the continent, if you google "maxipod" you will get a idea of how they work.

also put maxipod in the boards search box, above.

Ah yea I’ve seen them. I think it’s only over complicating the op’s issue though

Thanks for all the comments, dual coil cylinder there already so going with the same again. Yes stove heats rads too.
    Just as aside I plumbed the whole house in 2004 when I built it. I'm not a plumber and dont claim to be but I think I have a fairly good grasp on these things.

This what you don't want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

I'm not a plumber, but about to get a re-plumb done on a house.

For a stove pipework, have you looked at nrgzone heatlink?

Also, Joule do a "Wellmaster" stainless steel tank. Apparently it is ticker to last longer in hard water areas?

Also, Joule do a "Wellmaster" stainless steel tank. Apparently it is ticker to last longer in hard water areas?
    No it’s to protect against well water. Well water will erode stainless steel welds.

• Advertisement

There are several incarnations of pipe manifold for stove pipework, systemlink, heatsink heat hero etc

So, I'm back. Still haven't got around to changing cylinder but am going to do so over the next few weeks.
    Still thinking of going for the dual coil copper 60x18.
    I have got a new magnaclean filter I'm going to fit on the return to the oil boiler too.

So, I'm back. Still haven't got around to changing cylinder but am going to do so over the next few weeks.
    Still thinking of going for the dual coil copper 60x18.
    I have got a new magnaclean filter I'm going to fit on the return to the oil boiler too.

It’d be pointless fitting the filter unless you powerflush the heating system first.

It’d be pointless fitting the filter unless you powerflush the heating system first.

Thanks, yep powerflush will be done. I will fit.the new cylinder, add cleaning chemicals, and powerflush. Refill and add inhibitor

Thanks, yep powerflush will be done. I will fit.the new cylinder, add cleaning chemicals, and powerflush. Refill and add inhibitor

What machine are you using for the powerflush?

Advertisement