Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXV-44,159 ROI (1,830 deaths) 21,898 NI (598 deaths) (13/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Emphasis on the word IF.

IF you're lucky enough to be admitted. IF they decide your life is worth a ventilator.

Nursing home cases were allowed to die in nursing homes without being referred to hospital back in March/ April/ May.

That's down to DNR and doctors making the right decision in the best interests of the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

begbysback wrote: »
    Well how is that special treatment, you can earn 5k for participating in drug trials, The Donald has done it for free, Legend.
    Obvious troll is obvious...The Donald...ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Can somebody explain the benefit of having checkpoints in place between counties if every county as at the same level? Am I missing something?
    Yes, because you'll get the same morons that we saw with Blackrock GAA that will still flout the guidelines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

boege wrote: »
    My wife is a theatre nurse and she is saying that her hospital is chocked full of patients that should have been treated in the past, but were not due to Covid patient prioritisation. These patients are presenting with more complex conditions due to delays in receiving treatment. Add in a winter flu bug in the coming months, plus a bout of Covid and we wont be talking about the Irish hospital capacity that we were talking back in March when we borrowed time off patients that needed treatment for non-Covid conditions.

There was a big screwup

Hospitals were operating way below capacity during lockdown

Now they'll be getting hit on the double

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What channel is our glorious leader's speech on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Donald or Michael?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Disney

niallo27 wrote: »
    This is the occurrence for most issues in nursing homes I'm afraid, its not new to COVID.

When my mother tested positive for the B strain of flu about two years ago the nursing home had no hesitation in referring her to hospital immediately.

But when she first displayed symptoms of covid and before she was tested positive, we were told she would not be referred to a hospital.

So we'll have to differ on that.

In an overwhelmed hospital system, (which is going to happen) there is no way anyone is going to get "an excellent level of care", and especially not a hope if you're over 60.

Thomas.. wrote: »
    There's a whole load of stuff they could do without too like oxygen and bandages

Do you think it's acceptable for ministers to use the HSE budget to bring jobs that aren't actually required to their constituency?

• Advertisement

begbysback wrote: »
    Donald or Michael?

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

"baby chimp school" on rte 2. is that the presser?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If Boris survived it why are people surprised by Donal Trump? He appears a lot healthier than Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lundstram wrote: »
    Eamon. :pac:

Minister of Trampolines, Stephen Donnelly answering questions tonight, apparently.

Would Eamon be awake this late?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

polesheep wrote: »
    Nonsense, if you are admitted to an Irish hospital you will get an excellent level of care.
    I was actually thinking more about the millions of people in his own country that don’t have health insurance and are turned away from Emergency Departments for treatments that people get for free in the public health system here as much as it is maligned.

And by the way, the average person will not be getting Regeneron’s antibody cocktail, etc.

When my mother tested positive for the B strain of flu about two years ago the nursing home had no hesitation in referring her to hospital immediately.

But when she first displayed symptoms of covid and before she was tested positive, we were told she would not be referred to a hospital.

In an overwhelmed hospital system, (which is going to happen) there is no way anyone is going to get "an excellent level of care", and especially not a hope if you're over 60.

The nursing home don't refer, a doctor does that. The doctor will make a decision based on the treatment required and the likely outcome. This type of decision is made all the time, regardless of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Would Eamon be awake this late?

I'd say he had a snooze earlier. Stephen had him bouncing on a trampoline earlier to tire him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can somebody explain the benefit of having checkpoints in place between counties if every county as at the same level? Am I missing something?

Some counties have more cases than others, need to stop the spread

polesheep wrote: »
    That's down to DNR and doctors making the right decision in the best interests of the patient.

There was no DNR on my mother. And as for the best interest of the patient?

You must mean in the best interest of the ones they considered worth making an effort to try and save.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If they are afriad public Hospitals wont cope with a peak in cases, why not make a plan for private Hospitals to help their collegues with capacity, instead of blanket restrictions

They are trying to organise this .
    If they had got a proper contract where the private hospitals could have continued with elective surgeries and medicine , services in the public hospitals would not have been so badly hit .
    HSE jumped in took over the private hospitals instead of working with them to sort the problem out .
    Private hospitals do a lot of public work paid for by the public purse, and this could and should be increased .
    It would affect the lucrative private work of these consultants but they have paid for these hospitals themselves so are entitled to request that HSE at least pay them .
    A lot of them were left twiddling their thumbs earlier in the year and wanted to help but were not given public contracts .

• Advertisement

5 level plan is already a mess. 2 counties placed on level 3 and a bit right from the start and now we're throwing the plan out the window altogether and putting the whole country on the sake level despite huge variation between counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I have to agree with Loueze here. I remember reading at the time (April ish time) that if a person in a Nursing Home tested positive for Coronavirus that they would not be transferred to hospital.
    I have a family member (not immediate) in a Nursing Home with Dementia but no other physical conditions so I remember being particularly concerned about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Not allowed leave your own county unless it's for work or education etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An obese 74 yr old man was in hospital for only 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

fin12 wrote: »
    If Boris survived it why are people surprised by Donal Trump? He appears a lot healthier than Boris.

I don't find it that surprising. Trump looks and acts a lot younger than his age, I'd imagine his biological age is a lot younger than his actual age. I would imagine with such a large white house cluster and the age of US government members some of them will be hospitalised, but they're all in probably better health than their peers in the community so that will help their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He’s dead to me if he doesn’t Give a quote From a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

majcos wrote: »
    I was actually thinking more about the millions of people in his own country that don’t have health insurance and are turned away from Emergency Departments for treatments that people get for free in the public health system here as much as it is maligned.

And by the way, the average person will not be getting Regeneron’s antibody cocktail, etc.

No one is turned away from emergency departments in the US. its literally illegal to deny treatment due to being uninsured. Don't know why people continue to believe this bull****.

The city I live in currently has more than 700 staffed ICU beds available, with just over a hundred others in use by covid patients. How many in ireland? Double figures? Maybe not Regeneron, but remdesivir, antibody treatment and all the other stuff he got, is standard treatment protocol for the average person. I know where I'd rather take my chances with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Waffle waffle and more waffle, we all know your plan isn't worth the paper its written on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NIMAN wrote: »
    An obese 74 yr old man was in hospital for only 3 days.

Says he felt better than he did 20 years ago, he is a poster boy for the man in the street :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement