Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXV-44,159 ROI (1,830 deaths) 21,898 NI (598 deaths) (13/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Varadkar finally says it, nobody on NPHET would have to go on PUP tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A strange observation. I was out and about today and the temperature was a pleasant 13 degrees and dry, yet Tony & co needed to wrap up and wear coats and scarves.

I'd say the atmosphere was pretty frosty in government buildings .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's now a huge rift between Tony Holohan and the government; they are virtually at war!

Ha! Funny.... Leo's spin is working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

He's always thought of himself first. It'a all about Leo

He's got the human touch whatever else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Absolutely despicable from Varadkar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My 87 year old grandmother was in bits yesterday at the news of level 5. Completely freaking out. I assume that was repeated across the country. Even the concept of it is way above the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sticking it to Tony and rightly so, I've family both elderly and in business that were beside themselves with worry today over that leak last night.

Dead right . So many had sleepless night last night with worry and fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Question: So if things get worse and you need to increase who takes the responsibility
    Donnelly: The Virus

You could not make it up

Like an answer David Brent would give !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Claire Byrne trying her best to stir the pot between the government and NPHET trying to make Tony's position untenable tbh I'd be in favour of him going. It was disgusting what was done leaking that letter and putting the whole country in a state of panic and hysteria over the last 24 hours.

The letter was published on the government website.

Who knows who leaked its contents last night? Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Varadkar worried about people in poverty...first time for everything I suppose!

• Advertisement

Leo is brilliant here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Where I am, hospitals have been advertising pretty hard for recovered patients to donate plasma. They are definitely using it here at least. And remdesivir too to the point that how many vials they have in stock is part of the daily published figures. Maybe that isn't the case everywhere.

But, no, of course the average patient won't get every treatment thrown at them like trump unless absolutely necessary. Or a luxury hospital room! But those treatments are available if needed.
    Some people here who have recovered are donating plasma too but it’s for research and the amount of that actually reaching patients as a antibody treatment is very small. Would think it’s limited to research trials in USA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That's both Martin and Varadkar coming across extremely bad in the space of an hour on national TV. What a shambles this government is.
    Naw. Martin is useless, no confidence in anything he is saying, not a good speaker at all.
    But Varadkar is doing rather well on Claire Byrne imo and I wouldn't be a big fan usually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Leo is brilliant here!!!

Should still be Taoiseach. Streets ahead of Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

That was a pretty wild interview

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

plodder wrote: »
    He's not pulling his punches.
    Will TH be considering his position?

He's not. While he says he has confidence, everything he's said would indicate that he hasn't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see resignations from NPHET in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be fines and every Friday the people who were fined that week should be announced before the 9pm news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

That was fantastic from Leo. Grinning to myself here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Goldengirl wrote: »
    NPHET are doing their job .
    Let the government get off their Meehole and do theirs , and be ACCOUNTABLE for it .
    Stop blaming NPHET ffs

NPHET kept leaking their recommendations to the media as if they were Government, with no data or evidence to back this up. They would do this before even informing Government cabinet sub committee or cabinet. This is very wrong and would have a domino effect on the wider public implications re what was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Leo is saying all the right things here. Can’t fault a single thing he’s said so far. Sensible, solid points with clear delivery. NPHET have massively pissed off the public with their stunt yesterday evening. Loved how Leo said it’s well for them recommending level 5 when they won’t have to suffer the consequences of being on social welfare. Although he was very diplomatic, it’s about time someone stuck it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Oh Leo leo, aaahhhhh Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There should be fines and every Friday the people who were fined that week should be announced before the 9pm news.
    ....I can't tell if you are joking or not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I have a feeling Tony Holohan will now resign, and take a legal case.
    Don't see what basis he would have to take a legal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's both Martin and Varadkar coming across extremely bad in the space of an hour on national TV. What a shambles this government is.

I get the impression nothing would get Leo a decent rating in your book. Thankfully we can all watch and decide for ourselves.

I didn't vote FG but I'm very impressed with Leo since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Looks like they dragged Eamon out of bed

NEPHET should advise against such things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Much needed dose of reality. Byrne tried her best to be sensationalist but she displayed zero understanding of how high level decisions are agreed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Donnelly said HSE is in full communication with private hospitals. They're included in the surge plan and may be used for non-covid care. HSE have plenty of resources for ICU expansion. Basically saying that capacity not an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

That interview will haunt Varadkar for the rest of his life. When numbers of cases skyrocket in the coming weeks he is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Finally a government minister calling it as it is.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Don't see what basis he would have to take a legal case.

For being effectively forced out of his job if that transpires.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement