Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXV-44,159 ROI (1,830 deaths) 21,898 NI (598 deaths) (13/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thomas.. wrote: »
    Add the fact it's not the ICU patients triggering Nphet

It's the lack of ICU capacity

Did I hear that the ICU capacity is 270+?

I was under the impression it was far less?

Now I'm confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A popular Kilkenny hotel has been forced to close for a number of days after a Covid-19 outbreak among staff.

Four workers at the Newpark Hotel in the City tested positive for the virus last week.

The staff members reported feeling unwell and are now self-isolating.

Hotel management decided to close the premises from today, Monday, until Friday in line with health measures.

They hope to be open and operating as normal again from Friday onwards.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-hotel-forced-close-after-22793188

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Think about the harm a lockdown now would do. That needs to be balanced with saving vunerable people. Not easy but that's the only way forward realistically.

I get that but the experts, the people who know what they are talking about, say we needed to go to level 5. Who are we to disagree? We might have opinions but that's it. What's the point in having experts at all if you just ignore them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,057 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Think it's inevitable holohan will have to step aside now as he has lost the confidence of the government and damaged NPHET relationship with them. Leo absolutely shredded them and holohan is the figure head of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Claire Byrne was just plain rude this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

froog wrote: »
    absolute ****show of a few days. it does appear like tony went on a mad solo run. i'd say his job is untenable right now and he will be asked to step aside. not sure how he can continue to work with government now, especially after leo threw him under the bus.

for the government, it is a gamble, no doubt about it. we will know if they made the correct call very soon, likely in two weeks time.

it's squeaky bum time to borrow a phrase from alex ferguson.

The next two weeks are critical

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gmisk wrote: »
    He totally threw them under the bus.
    But to be honest I kind of believe he was telling the truth

I wonder is this why Leo was in and not Martin. If it went pair shaped he could say the opposite but can agree if it looks advantageous. Or is he at a secret meeting with NPHET giving them there marching orders

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Amazing you can read the minds of all the other posters. Incredible

We could have a poll, but you may not like the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What takeovers? They're cooperating, it's not a takeover.

It's just extending what is there already .
    Which is fine but not surge capacity as such .
    It is not extra capacity for ICU except in a few places who already have high dependency care for their major surgery .. this would not be for sicker patients as expertise are in the big major hospitals' ICUs .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Will the Greens leave the government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Can people go on holiday (non essential) with level 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I get that but the experts, the people who know what they are talking about, say we needed to go to level 5. Who are we to disagree? We might have opinions but that's it. What's the point in having experts at all if you just ignore them?

Didnt Leo admit they can't afford level 5??

tom1ie wrote: »
    Great to see the flu jab is so abundant.
    Strange how I have to wait until November for mine......

Are you in a risk category not that Clare Byrne should be getting it. My father is getting his Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

A lot of people here seem to be praising the government for standing up to NPHET. Showing them who's in charge, etc. It's bizarre, they're only trying to protect people. This isn't a win.

When you consider how much so many had to lose with their level 5 what else could it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It was odd to hear Leo say that NPHET were recommending a "circuit break".

The advantage of circuit breaks as a concept was that it was supposed to give people certainty. You would have a severe lockdown at a time which was pre-announced and for a defined period of time, and so give people and businesses time to prepare.

What you weren't supposed to do was drop it on people largely unannounced.

Leo was perhaps right that it has never really been tried before, but to my mind at least the concept seems sound and worth a try - I hope somewhere does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A popular Kilkenny hotel has been forced to close for a number of days after a Covid-19 outbreak among staff.

Four workers at the Newpark Hotel in the City tested positive for the virus last week.

The staff members reported feeling unwell and are now self-isolating.

Hotel management decided to close the premises from today, Monday, until Friday in line with health measures.

They hope to be open and operating as normal again from Friday onwards.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-hotel-forced-close-after-22793188

No offence but this is nothing new. Many premises have closed for periods due to staff tested positive. Two pubs within 5 miles of me had to do so this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Did anyone ask any of these government spokespeople what they intend to do when the cases don’t start decreasing two and three weeks into this lockdown?

Because I reckon they won’t.

Schools, colleges and foreign travel are three major problems That level 3 does nothing about.

Four .. northern ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Can people go on holiday (non essential) with level 3 ?

You can go to airport to fly yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You ever think why don't the experts in every other country in Europe think the same as us. Also these experts said things were OK to stay at level 2 on Thursday but 3 days later want level 5, how can you not question what the **** is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The experts are tasked with coming up with recommendations to limit Covid and the harm caused by Covid.

The politicians have to balance that with the bigger picture of the economy, other health implications, mental health etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Did anyone ask any of these government spokespeople what they intend to do when the cases don’t start decreasing two and three weeks into this lockdown?

Because I reckon they won’t.

Schools, colleges and foreign travel are three major problems That level 3 does nothing about.

Cases don't matter. The HSE said that it can cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

hmmm wrote: »
    Leo was perhaps right that it has never really been tried before, but to my mind at least the concept seems sound and worth a try - I hope somewhere does.

Didn't he say that Israel were trying something similar and no real sign as of yet that it's working?

Donnelly being well.. Donnelly. No surprise he comes out with this
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1313230709084114950?s=19

Did Chambers read what I wrote here I will get him for plagirism :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

hmmm wrote: »
    It was odd to hear Leo say that NPHET were recommending a "circuit break".

The advantage of circuit breaks as a concept was that it was supposed to give people certainty. You would have a severe lockdown at a time which was pre-announced and for a defined period of time, and so give people and businesses time to prepare.

What you weren't supposed to do was drop it on people largely unannounced.

The uk are I think but they will no doubt f*ck it up like they have done everything else throughout the pandemic.

The circuit breaker thing isn't new btw it is mentioned quite a few times in Richard Preston's books (the guy who wrote the hot zone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

spookwoman wrote: »

He has those number arseways. Typical Shinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

why do you have an obsession with foreign travel?. The airports are about to go bust due to lack of custom, the airlines are losing money hand over fist and 10000's of people are cut off from family. It is not a problem.

Yes it is a problem.
    It’s a problem that is unquantified because the government have not got in place the necessary system to allow safe travel that detects people who are positive. It doesn’t have aN adequate tracing system For those that have travelled either, so if your issue is with people being cut off and airlines going bust then you can see how safe travel needs to be introduced for a variety of reasons.

seamus wrote: »
    Seems to be some weird games going on here alright. NPHET really pushing the "level 3 isn't good enough" line, when the statistics out of Dublin indicate that it's beginning to work. 3 and 7 day case averages for Dublin are declining, and Dublin's proportion of the overall cases is declining.

Seem short-sighted to declare a lockdown is necessary without giving level 3 (even poorly enforced) a chance to kick in. Iit'll be around the 21st of October before these new restrictions have any noticeable effect nationally

Apparently NPHET spoke about Ireland being brave and Varadkar spoke about NPHET being experimental and wanting the first 'circuit break' in Europe. I wonder if some on NPHET saw an opportunity to make a name for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Claire Byrne was just plain rude this evening

When she ordered the other two to put on the mask and didn't herself, I thought what a...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was all for hard lockdown back in March when we didn't understand the virus and we didn't understand the implications of a lockdown.

WTAF are you on about? What we know about the virus now that we didn't know then is actually worse. We knew before the lockdown that the IFR was most likely somewhere between 2% and 0.5% and almost certainly toward the lower end of that. The WHO currently estimates the IFR as .62% which was a surprise to precisely no-one with a clue. Our new information is how very contagious it is, that it's airborne and that it's not seemingly seasonal. We've also learned that it leads to a very high rate of post-viral issues in even very mild infections which can cause people problems for months. We've also learned that scientists who warned immunity may not be as good as we hoped may have been right as there are a number of confirmed cases of reinfection already. So maybe you were in a tizzy in March thinking this virus was something so awful that the really bad thing it is seems good. But don't put your lack of knowledge in March on everyone else.

The implications (economic and personal) of a lockdown were also crystal clear in March too. What is it that you think was a surprise to anyone about that?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement