Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXV-44,159 ROI (1,830 deaths) 21,898 NI (598 deaths) (13/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So you think it's ok to be mandatory - in 10 years time - to wear masks as you walk alone down the street

You don't have to wear a mask on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

quokula wrote: »
    It won't be mandatory, but hopefully people who choose to wear them sometimes won't be ridiculed and won't be made to feel uncomfortable. Wearing masks was common in Asia before this pandemic. It reduces regular illnesses too, and it's considered polite not to be spreading your germs, even if it's just a common cold.

Their lovely habits also created this misery for the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The biggest change you'll see along with masks will be distancing measures in Irish society. People will be use to distanced pubs or restaurants for example so it won't feel a big change but versus December 2019 these are big changes.

We are lucky, as bad as it is, we are dealing with COVID. We have been walking this tightrope decade after decade and somehow keeping balanced. Now we've fallen off.

If we were dealing with something just as contagious but with higher fatality rate what's being implemented today would pale in comparison to the restrictions we have to live with now.

It's a low price to pay to make sure this never happens again.

People won't wear masks after this , maybe in hospitals or clinics but not in public.

Whats the story in Ireland, is it mandatory to wear them outdoors ?

You don't have to wear a mask on the street.

I FUCKING DO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

The biggest change you'll see along with masks will be distancing measures in Irish society. People will be use to distanced pubs or restaurants for example so it won't feel a big change but versus December 2019 these are big changes.

We are lucky, as bad as it is, we are dealing with COVID. We have been walking this tightrope decade after decade and somehow keeping balanced. Now we've fallen off.

If we were dealing with something just as contagious but with higher fatality rate what's being implemented today would pale in comparison to the restrictions we have to live with now.

I don't see any reason not to let that get right back to normal once the pandemic has passed. The only difference would be that we'd be quicker, and we'd know how, to prepare if a novel virus turns up on the other side of the world, rather than assuming everything will be grand (even though 9 times out of 10 it will be fine)

And distanced pubs and restaurants won't stay around a second longer than they need to, the owner's profit margins will see to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

73 days until Christmas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

flanna01 wrote: »
    Did I just read a poster outlining his plans for Christmas dinner this year....??

Sweet suffering Jaysis... What a snowflake you are..

Thankyou for kindly sharing your Christmas dinner plans with us... Sorry you can't make the in-laws this year (desperate isn't it!)

Anyway, hopefully this Kung Flu will blow over...

I hope the rest of the 5 million population are as transparent as yourself.. Love to hear their Xmas dinner plans... NOT!

That was probably me, in response to someone talking about Halloween...the virus is going nowhere and until folks start wearing masks correctly and stop having house parties we will be on rolling restrictions for the next 6-18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

73 days until Christmas.

The Christmas market is going ahead in Galway too

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

But it will happen again because sweet FA was done to prevent the disease-incubating countries from doing their "thing" in the past, there's sweet FA being done to prevent them doing it now, and I'd say it's safe to assume that won't change in the future either.

If you had to put a percentage guess on China being the originator of the next global pandemic, what would it be? 30%? 70%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

quokula wrote: »
    It won't be mandatory, but hopefully people who choose to wear them sometimes won't be ridiculed and won't be made to feel uncomfortable. Wearing masks was common in Asia before this pandemic. It reduces regular illnesses too, and it's considered polite not to be spreading your germs, even if it's just a common cold.
    Agree, no one should be ridiculed for their choice. But, actually a serious question were/ are handkerchiefs used in Asian countrys? Think they would be more environmentally friendly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sorry I have to strongly disagree with you here, you think masks and distancing will continue?

While masks could well be a personal choice if someone feels comfortable then fine, but they won't be mandatory long term.

Distancing measures being a long term consequence... not a chance of that. You really believe people will stay distant as a permanent change ?

You use pubs and restaurants as an example so i will do likewise, apprehensions about going back into that environment after distancing there quite well and probably will be from some people, again something over time that will become normal again is seeing busy pubs and restaurants. Much like crowds in stadiums, festivals etc all will return to pre covid environments.

Quite frankly its naive to believe distancing is a long term consequence, that just isn't human nature and that doesn't change easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive.

There are few footballers who haven't at this stage.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1316037404835315713

That's really putting it up to Messi now. He needs to seek out a huge viral load to make sure he gets it better than CR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive.

There are few footballers who haven't at this stage.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1316037404835315713

And how many of them have died or reported any lasting negative effects???

Pretty sure Ronaldo will be fine, hes fit and healthy.

If covid couldn't rock Trump most people who get it will be fine.

Gradius wrote: »
    But it will happen again because sweet FA was done to prevent the disease-incubating countries from doing their "thing" in the past, there's sweet FA being done to prevent them doing it now, and I'd say it's safe to assume that won't change in the future either.

If you had to put a percentage guess on China being the originator of the next global pandemic, what would it be? 30%? 70%
    ?

100%, sooner or later some filthy kernt will want to eat ****ty pangolin anus ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Quite frankly its naive to believe distancing is a long term consequence, that just isn't human nature and that doesn't change easily.

Agreed, this thread is divorced from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

bennyl10 wrote: »
    7 day rate increases by .1 based on swabs

has the 14 day rate also increased?

Looks like the original level 3 green shoots in counties have fallen again

are NPHET expected to recommend Thursday? Or just a general meeting?..

Level three only started for the majority of the country 6 days ago

No way you'd see change that quickly

Sorry I have to strongly disagree with you here, you think masks and distancing will continue?

While masks could well be a personal choice if someone feels comfortable then fine, but they won't be mandatory long term.

Distancing measures being long term... not a chance of that. You really believe people will stay distant as a permanent change ?

You use pubs and restaurants as an example so i will do likewise, apprehensions about going back into that environment after distancing there quite well and probably will be from some people, again something over time that will become normal again is seeing busy pubs and restaurants. Much like crowds in stadiums, festivals etc all will return to pre covid environments.

I opened this can of worms about the permanent nature of masks, because some CNN moron was saying it will be permanent and to get used to it - my point was more that he's loving this doom and gloom ...

Regarding masks or not in the future, don't think I saw any at that crazy pool celebration on the city of presumed origin?

A better mandatory option, would be protecting the environments that bats live in from human interferance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

73 days until Christmas.

Woo hoo, cant wait for the 12 pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

Distancing measures being long term... not a chance of that. You really believe people will stay distant as a permanent change ?

Quite frankly its naive to believe distancing is a long term consequence, that just isn't human nature and that doesn't change.
    Less sure about distancing however people wearing masks while ill could become the norm. That would be a nice change. I mean you can argue about personal choice but I see them like pants. You are expected to wear them out and about.

I also wonder how many anti mask campaigners are pro letting people walk around stores pantless. I imagine many stores would want people wearing pants else they could lose a lot of customers.

I would say distancing can vary naturally by culture though things like football games are inevitably close quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

And how many of them have died or reported any lasting negative effects???

Pretty sure Ronaldo will be fine, hes fit and healthy.

If covid couldn't rock Trump most people who get it will be fine.

Hopefully he doesn’t suffer with Long Covid like that poor your doctor last night.
    That would put an end to his career

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Distancing measures being a long term consequence... not a chance of that. You really believe people will stay distant as a permanent change ?

I think what some people seem to be missing is that quite a significant % aren't even apprehensive about going to these now, even right now restaurants over Dublin are as busy as they're allowed to be, so the idea that distancing will last a second longer than it needs to is laughable.

Thanks raind Great answer talking about something else. :eek:
    The question related to the chart and the data shown on it.
    Of course exponential growth will not continue indefinitely but our health system may well be overrun long before that point.

You don't need to answer of course but looks like you are being evasive. I'll ask it again just in case you want to clarify your understanding of the chart (posted below) so that their can be no ambiguity.

Would you agree that cases are increasing exponentially currently? It's a yes or no question I'm afraid. I'm not asking what the rate of increase or decrease will be in 3 months. It's ok to say it. Exponential is not a dirty word.

529149.png

That's exactly what I said. Growth fits a fairly sable 4% growth rate since June. But a pandemic can only exhibit xt = xo(1 + r)^t growth for a period of time when the level of susceptible individuals is high relative to the control measures in place. It is too simplistic a model to give an overall picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

You are correct. Social distancing is already over in China. There have been a few isolated outbreaks (one Beijing and one in Qingdao) which they crack down on very hard but everywhere else life goes on as before without the international travel. Beijing is already back to normal.

Even if a vaccine is not found we will eventually adopt a China like model. We can't go on social distancing for years.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Less sure about distancing however people wearing masks while ill could become the norm. That would be a nice change. I mean you can argue about personal choice but I see them like pants. You are expected to wear them out and about.

I also wonder how many anti mask campaigners are pro letting people walk around stores pantless. I imagine many stores would want people wearing pants else they could lose a lot of customers.

I would say distancing can vary naturally by culture though things like football games are inevitably close quarters.

I think that a penis or vagina, the pubic regions of the body are seen culturally here as very different than a face. And anyhow pants/ trousers keep you warm in the Irish climate. Can believe I am writing this.:D... Back to covid any posutive numbers for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

That's exactly what I said. Growth fits a fairly sable 4% growth rate since June. But a pandemic can only exhibit xt = xo(1 + r)^t growth for a period of time when the level of susceptible individuals high relative to the control measures in place. It is too simplistic a model to give an overall picture.
    Correct - eventually the virus will have infected so many people that its growth will slow because there aren't enough people left to infect. However, the model gives a pretty good picture of what can happen over the new months, while there are still plenty of people to infect, and suggesting it's not an appropriate model because it can't continue indefinitely is a little disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Christy42 wrote: »

I would expect masks to be optional and not mandatory but yes I would think the same as yourself, it won't be socially acceptable I feel for someone to be going about their business as usual if there coughing or sneezing everywhere and could well mean social responsibility by wearing a mask if your sick but a general culture of wearing them daily I doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

speckle wrote: »
    I think that a penis or vagina, the pubic regions of the body are seen culturally here as very different than a face. And anyhow pants/ trousers keep you warm in the Irish climate. Can believe I am writing this.:D... Back to covid any posutive numbers for today?

Tbh I'm a nudist so I'd much rather they loosened cultural rules around lower half coverings, in summer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There's zero chance of this ever becoming the norm. Literally zero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's exactly what I said. Growth fits a fairly sable 4% growth rate since June. But a pandemic can only exhibit xt = xo(1 + r)^t growth for a period of time when the level of susceptible individuals is high relative to the control measures in place. It is too simplistic a model to give an overall picture.

It's not a model it's a statement. 'Cases have and are increasing exponentially'
    That person took the data and fitted a curve to it. One that follows an exponential trajectory. Our health system will be long overrun before an inflection point is reached and majority of people have become infected so no point mentioning that. Only proven thing that stops it is restrictions. Trying to do that while keeping schools open looks like it is proving tricky. We'll see.

You still have not used the word exponetial so I'll presume you are not allowed to say it.

Here's one final chart which I would attach the following statement to.

"Covid cases in hospital are rising exponentially"

You can argue what will happen in the future but the statement is accurate whether people like the word or not.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement