Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXV-44,159 ROI (1,830 deaths) 21,898 NI (598 deaths) (13/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Sorry I have to strongly disagree with you here, you think masks and distancing will continue?

While masks could well be a personal choice if someone feels comfortable then fine, but they won't be mandatory long term.

Distancing measures being a long term consequence... not a chance of that. You really believe people will stay distant as a permanent change ?

You use pubs and restaurants as an example so i will do likewise, apprehensions about going back into that environment after distancing there quite well and probably will be from some people, again something over time that will become normal again is seeing busy pubs and restaurants. Much like crowds in stadiums, festivals etc all will return to pre covid environments.

Quite frankly its naive to believe distancing is a long term consequence, that just isn't human nature and that doesn't change easily.

Obviously distancing will not be mandatory after COVID I don't know why anyone would think that but COVID will certainly have a lasting impression on how we think about and relate to crowds and high density living and for a lot of people those things seem to be leaving a sour taste in their mouths
    Massive exodus currently ongoing from New York city to the suburbs after covid for instance
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/nyregion/suburbs-nyc-pandemic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

El Sueño wrote: »
    There's zero chance of this ever becoming the norm. Literally zero
    Covid aside, imagine how pleasant it would be to be in a pub or restaurant where you weren't crammed in like sardines? (I realise it's not good for business).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I'm absolutely disgusted how no papers of note have interviewed virologist Dr Li Meng.

https://www.wionews.com/world/facebook-censors-wion-after-interview-with-chinese-virologist-dr-li-meng-yan-who-claimed-covid-19-is-lab-manufactured-334832

Instead, interviews with her are being labelled fake news. She a very credible academic and it's horrendous to see her ostracized in such a manner

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I would expect masks to be optional and not mandatory but yes I would think the same as yourself, it won't be socially acceptable I feel for someone to be going about their business as usual if there coughing or sneezing everywhere and could well mean social responsibility by wearing a mask if your sick but a general culture of wearing them daily I doubt.
    If you finally got the date of your dreams and you noticed that he/she turned up with a cough and a sniffle, would you pull out a mask and say “here you go”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely disgusted how no papers of note have interviewed virologist Dr Li Meng.

https://www.wionews.com/world/facebook-censors-wion-after-interview-with-chinese-virologist-dr-li-meng-yan-who-claimed-covid-19-is-lab-manufactured-334832

Instead, interviews with her are being labelled fake news. She a very credible academic and it's horrendous to see her ostracized in such a manner
    Did she break her story on Loose Women, iirc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She thinks but cannot prove any of it so that makes her a conspiracy theorist. Very few support that position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have we today's swab figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Have we today's swab figures?

855 positive swabs on slightly over 15,000 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

If you finally got the date of your dreams and you noticed that he/she turned up with a cough and a sniffle, would you pull out a mask and say “here you go”

On a first date? Definitely, might even splash her with sanitizer. You never know..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Gradius wrote: »
    But it will happen again because sweet FA was done to prevent the disease-incubating countries from doing their "thing" in the past, there's sweet FA being done to prevent them doing it now, and I'd say it's safe to assume that won't change in the future either.

If you had to put a percentage guess on China being the originator of the next global pandemic, what would it be? 30%? 70%?

It's entirely possible this didn't originate in China. Remember, the Spanish Flu started in the USA, not Spain. Spain just happened to have the first major outbreak.

Epidemics happen all over the world for a myriad of reasons but don't let that get in the way of the subtle xenophobia that some folks are happy to promote on these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

What are the numbers of extra doctors and nurses who've been recruited by the HSE permanently (as opposed to fixed-term contracts) since the March lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Ficheall wrote: »
    Did she break her story on Loose Women, iirc?

Exactly, I've never heard of loose women prior to Dr Li Meng. She is a credible academic who fled her career in Hong Kong because of her beliefs and has been ignored and labelled fake news and laughed at by people who have never published a peer reviewed paper or completed a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Has she provided any evidence for her claims? She's a member of the scientific community, she would know there is an expectation of proof for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What are the numbers of extra doctors and nurses who've been recruited by the HSE permanently (as opposed to fixed-term contracts) since the March lockdown?

Same could be said of teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Huge number again today

Gael23 wrote: »
    Huge number again today

You think?

Have you a reason or just throwing it out.

You think?

Someone said 855 a few posts back

Gael23 wrote: »
    Someone said 855 a few posts back

Yeah that's the swab numbers. It's not the total case numbers. It's always a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Richard Chambers adding a few days ahead of the NPHET meeting Thursday

Apparently at that stage level three will have been in for 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The knuckle draggers are outside Leinster House again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GooglePlus wrote: »

They must finish work at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Protestors or TDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Why are these shower allowed to gather like this , hard enough for the rest of us to try adhere to regulations.
    Most decent people are doing what’s needed to help fight this but it frustrating to see authorities turn a blind eye to these protests. Most people social activities cancelled or curtailed yet these lot are allowed to do as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The failure to restore the PUP will further erode public compliance with the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They must finish work at 5.

Plenty of time on their hands.. and everything else due to poor hand hygiene practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Healy Rae's being interviewed?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Richard Chambers adding a few days ahead of the NPHET meeting Thursday

Apparently at that stage level three will have been in for 10 days

Will they lock us up then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive

Wont even be a cold to a super fit, elite athlete like him

Djokovic had it a while ago and was in the French Open final at the weekend

• Advertisement

Anything over 111 in Dublin will see the 7 day average rising further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement