Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galvoband Vs Washers?

• 05-10-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Making a Dog Cage. Hold a big, strong one when the bitches throw heat.

2 x 2 timber. 1" mesh welded steel. mesh fitted internally, flush to the outer edges of the timber, so he has no wood available. (Plenty of his own though, thinking about it! Poor sod! :D)

I was all set to run 25 x 1.5 Galvoband along the mesh edges and screw it down profusely. Last minute Dark Night Of The Soul moment; Might steel washers, screwed tight into the corners of the mesh so's to overlap well, work better?

Admittedly, having just typed that? I wonder what the hell I'm thinking. But, I've typed it now, so throwing it out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tek screws. The type for timber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Stigura

Be much the same argument though, wouldn't it, Lumen? I'd be getting less 'coverage' with them, or a washer. Banding is contiguous and so gives strength between each screw.

That make sense? I'm sitting here, visualising it.

That's funny, I could have sworn the roll I had that I thought was Galvoband only had a single large set of holes, too big for small timber screws, but I checked online and see small holes too, so maybe you're right.

Galvoband-25mm-10mt-Roll.jpg

Anyway, I used Tek screws with the "galvoband" I had and they worked great.

FWIW I now assemble weldmesh cages using an corded electric narrow crown stapler, having gone through various manual Arrow staplers that never got sufficient penetration, although the hammer tacker was OK.

Staples?! This Thing begs to differ! :D

Balzactntn.jpg

Must say though; I Really like the idea of tek's and banding! Hell, yeah! Only, I had to down tools, today, because I came up short on brackets. I'm having more air lifted in. But, tomorrow, while I wait for them, I can be getting on with blasting the mesh onto the frames I have made up.

I use those nasty, sharp (Leave tiny splinters in ye finger tips!) dry liners screws of colour. And I have a shed ton of them in my store. In fact, they could use using up as I over stocked! :o

So, yeah, as I suspected; I've really answered what was already becoming a severely weakened question. But, Tek woods and strapping? F**k yeah! Wish I'd thought of that!

PS. Just out of curiosity; What do ye keep in those cages?

And, yeah, my stuff's 1" in 8' x 4' sheets, from the builders yard. Dunno what the gauge is but, it'd keep most things in. Especially as they couldn't get a jaw on the 'bars'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

last time i did something like this i used those little L shaped brakets like this http://123frame.net/100oflbr1x1z.html. . i flattened them out with a hammer and screwed them on . dont flatten all the way and it will sit flat with a hump in the middle for the mesh.

It's for keeping out starving foxes looking for a fresh chicken dinner.

I use 1.6mm (16G) galvanized weldmesh with 25mm holes. It's bloody strong when properly attached. I can stand on the roof of the run and it's only made from 2x2 scrap.

:cool: PT; That's a nice concept :) Though, at 17 per ton? I dread to think how many I'd using. And the endless days sat beating them with a hammer. This is exactly why I plumped for the 'off the reel / cut and fix' idea.

Granted; Your way certainly does offer a more strictly bespoke fitting to each strand. I'm just banking that my lunatic beast won't be able to get his teeth far enough into the place I'm confronting him with to gain any leverage. I can also use as many screws as I like. Damn fast! ;)

Lumen; Ye had me going for a minute there. I wondered if ye had rabbits :cool: We have a thing going on, for rabbits, elsewhere on here :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

any holes another dog can get his thing in saw it happen you might need double cage or bring her to vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Stigura wrote: »
    :cool: PT; That's a nice concept :) Though, at 17 per ton? I dread to think how many I'd using. And the endless days sat beating them with a hammer. This is exactly why I plumped for the 'off the reel / cut and fix' idea.

Granted; Your way certainly does offer a more strictly bespoke fitting to each strand. I'm just banking that my lunatic beast won't be able to get his teeth far enough into the place I'm confronting him with to gain any leverage. I can also use as many screws as I like. Damn fast! ;)

Lumen; Ye had me going for a minute there. I wondered if ye had rabbits :cool: We have a thing going on, for rabbits, elsewhere on here :D

ignore those redicules prices. you would get them a lot cheaper.

depends on how many you are putting on. galvoband will work fine. i would use the smaller one with one row of holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    any holes another dog can get his thing in saw it happen you might need double cage or bring her to vet
    Is the op not caging the male?

Put an insulator under the mesh and connect an electric fence:
    Faraday cage-esque

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Absolute swine, isn't it? Yesterday, I downed tools when I ran out of the Heavy Duty galvy straps that I was cutting up and bending, to make frame brackets.

Rang my neighbour and asked him if he could pick me some more up. He rang, at noon, today to say he was in the shop getting them. Good.

So, I've gone back down to the stables and have cracked on with applying the Galvoband to the frames I made yesterday. (Two more to put together)

Guess what? Just come to the end of an entire, brand new reel of Galvo!!! 2 3/4 frames to do. So, that's it then. Early finish for me, again. FFS.

Advertisement