Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

jj880 wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

"Stay at home.

Exercise within 5 kilometres of home.

I hear what you're saying about why have click n collect if you cant go outside 5km for it but thats not how I read it. Its not in the list of exceptions.

Edit: ok I concede you can click n collect for food, medicine and health products. You will have a job telling a garda your PS5 is a health product.

You can see the SI here : https://assets.gov.ie/93456/96b8b3b1-5293-42f6-9cfa-080e7bbf3fdd.pdf

As it says above, stay at home, exercise within 5k.

They are not saying you *can* go to Smyths, for example, within 5k. They are saying you have to stay at home, unless you are (a) exercising within 5km, or (b) out for one of the reasons provided for.

If they weren’t content for people to pick up non essential click and collect shopping, why would they opt to allow all click and collect outlets to open as essential retailers? Do we imagine the government are so muddled on this that they specifically allowed the likes of Smyths to open, but didn’t make any provision allowing people to go collect from them? And “it’s ok if you’re within 5km” is not correct, because that’s only mentioned in relation to exercise in the Statutory Instrument.

Anyhow I guess the people with Xbox preorders are the guinea pigs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

"Stay at home.

Exercise within 5 kilometres of home.

There will be a penalty for movement outside 5 kilometres of home, with the following exceptions:

travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    travel to attend disability day services
    for food shopping
    to take school aged children to permitted training as provided for in the Exercise and Sporting section above
    for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone but excluding social family visits
    for farming purposes, that is food production or care of animals
    to attend a wedding or funeral
    to visit a grave"

I hear what you're saying about why have click n collect if you cant go outside 5km for it but thats not how I read it. Its not in the list of exceptions.

Edit: ok I concede you can click n collect for food, medicine and health products. You will have a job telling a garda your PS5 is a health product.

So say you’re going to woodies

The gardai aren’t going to ask what you’re going to get, can we have a little bit of perspective here

They also aren’t going to stop you on the way back to ask you to show you your purchases

It’s very easy, are you going somewhere essential?
    Yes.

Carry on

bennyl10 wrote: »
    So say you’re going to woodies

The gardai aren’t going to ask what you’re going to get, can we have a little bit of perspective here

They also aren’t going to stop you on the way back to ask you to show you your purchases

It’s very easy, are you going somewhere essential?
    Yes.

Carry on

There were stories this morning of people being turned around at checkpoints because the guards wanted letters from an employer, I remember hearing last time about them telling people you can go to a shop closer than the one you’re going to etc. Probably most interactions with them will be grand and they’ll just wave you on, but you can get unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

Do we imagine the government are so muddled on this that they specifically allowed the likes of Smyths to open, but didn’t make any provision allowing people to go collect from them?

Yes click n collect for all goods is not on the exception list - even in your SI link it's not on the exception list. I'm not sure what you want me to say.
    bennyl10 wrote: »
    can we have a little bit of perspective here

People seem to be arguing over what they think should be in the rules. I'm just saying how they are at the moment. Hopefully they change. Use whatever excuse you want. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work or the gardai look for more proof than you though they would.

Yes click n collect for all goods is not on the exception list - even in your SI link it's not on the exception list. I'm not sure what you want me to say.

If the only goods you are allowed to travel to a shop for are those on the exception list, then nobody is allowed to go to a click and collect retailer for a nonessential item, regardless of whether it’s within a 5km radius or not, because the 5km radius is *only* for exercise, not for non-essential shopping, stargazing, yodeling, trainspotting, or anything other nonessential activity you might pursue within 5k of your abode.

I agree that reading the list of exceptions for the individual, it sounds awfully like a trip to the game store is not allowed. But the list of essential retailers does indeed cover game stores with c’n’c. And if they permit cnc game stores to open, they must imagine that people will travel to them for the collect bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

The 5km limit is for exercise. Agreed.

But outside that limit you have to be on the list of exceptions.

The entire list of essential retailers (yes this does include click n collect) is not on the exception list.

Im not sure what more I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Lads ffs, just go to smyths and get your consoles. Tell a guard you're going shopping or whatever excuse takes your fancy at the time. They don't care and won't stop you travelling.

Say you're going to a certain area to collect a child, you're going shopping in a certain shop.

This discussion is beyond ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This discussion is beyond ridiculous.

I'd be inclined to agree.

Lets get back to PS5 discussion.
    Only 4 weeks to go.

There is a covid 19 forum to discuss the travel do's/don'ts: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

F1ngers wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree.

Lets get back to PS5 discussion.
    Only 4 weeks to go.

There is a covid 19 forum to discuss the travel do's/don'ts: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865
    Agree so what has everyone preordered? I’m getting Assassins Creed, Fifa, extra controller and charging dock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Is there zero probability one will be able to walk into a Gamestop etc. in mid December and buy an off the shelf PS5?

I'm not an avid gamer and won't/haven't got involved in the pre order race, just wondering what realistic expectations are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Is there zero probability one will be able to walk into a Gamestop etc. in mid December and buy an off the shelf PS5?

I'm not an avid gamer and won't/haven't got involved in the pre order race, just wondering what realistic expectations are.

Its very unlikely. I think sometime early next year is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Paul MCM wrote: »
    Agree so what has everyone preordered? I’m getting Assassins Creed, Fifa, extra controller and charging dock

Extra controller, Spiderman, Demon Souls & I bought Fifa for the PS4 so I'll have a bit to do me for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cyberpunk (i know not actually next gen but cmon), demon's souls and I'm fairly sure NBA 2K21 after they announce their 'mind blowing' next gen career mode in a week or 2. They will keep me going well throughout Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Available anywhere atm, naw?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cyberpunk (i know not actually next gen but cmon), demon's souls and I'm fairly sure NBA 2K21 after they announce their 'mind blowing' next gen career mode in a week or 2. They will keep me going well throughout Christmas.

Can’t make my mind up on Cyberpunk, looking at You Tub and just not sure. It looks like the type of game I would play but I said the same about the Witcher and I just couldn’t play that game. Tried three times and just gave up, not even sure why I disliked it, even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They are telling some people that pre-ordered months ago that they are not getting it until next year, so there's zero chance in Gamestop anyway. Your best bet is somewhere like power city or Argos

https://www.platestation5.com/collections/all

Check out the above link. I would be tempted.

https://www.platestation5.com/collections/all

Check out the above link. I would be tempted.

It’s on the main PlayStation 5 thread if people want to read about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Smyhts are not doing a midnight launch. I just received this from CS,

" Smyths Toys <cshelpdesk@smythstoys.com>
    Thu 22/10/2020 16:49
    Hi XXXX

Thanks for getting in touch.

We can see your order is active on our system and will be ready for collection once the stock becomes available in your chosen store.

Unfortunately, we will not be holding any midnight openings this year for this launch, apologies for any disappointment this may cause.

If you have any further queries, please be sure to contact us

Best wishes,
    XXXXXXX.

Customer Service Dept.
    Smyths Toys Superstores "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good. Would be the height of irresponsibility to have a crowd gather unnecessarily for a midnight console launch at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Good. Would be the height of irresponsibility to have a crowd gather unnecessarily for a midnight console launch at the moment.

Not really.
    Give an allocated pickup time, pull up, show them your order details with ID and they put it into the car for you or hand it to you at the door. There would be no other shoppers about as it's just the PS5 gang there. Seems to me to be a far safer method than during normal business hours when mixing with general footfall in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just found out I've an extra 1.5 days to take so might use them on that Thursday and Friday.
    Have other days to take that I've already taken into account so since these are extra, gives me an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not really.
    Give an allocated pickup time, pull up, show them your order details with ID and they put it into the car for you or hand it to you at the door. There would be no other shoppers about as it's just the PS5 gang there. Seems to me to be a far safer method than during normal business hours when mixing with general footfall in the same area.

Haha, would you fancy arriving to a smyths after midnight to collect a ps5? Just imagine the scum that would be waiting around the corner for the people walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not really.

Might be okay for smaller places but wouldn't larger areas have more preorders, so you could be allocated a time of 1 or 2 in the morning.
    I'm just planning on picking it up at lunch on release day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Also, you get home, set it up, install updates, install games, install game updates and go to bed angry as you can't get past the tutorial level of Demon's Souls. I'm happy going in first thing in the morning.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Also, you get home, set it up, install updates, install games, install game updates and go to bed angry as you can't get past the tutorial level of Demon's Souls. I'm happy going in first thing in the morning.

I'm collecting mine from Smyths in Blanch, but I am gonna hold off until around 10:30, hopefully the queue will have died down a little by then

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm collecting mine from Smyths in Blanch, but I am gonna hold off until around 10:30, hopefully the queue will have died down a little by then

Going to collect mine in Smyths in Carrickmines around 9.30. Hopefully not much of a queue

Going to collect mine in Smyths in Carrickmines around 9.30. Hopefully not much of a queue

If there is a queue, hopefully it will move fairly quickly as people are just collecting it and not paying. On the other hand most people there will have multiple separate pre-orders for games and accessories which could hold things up.

Markitron wrote: »
    If there is a queue, hopefully it will move fairly quickly as people are just collecting it and not paying. On the other hand most people there will have multiple separate pre-orders for games and accessories which could hold things up.

I hope Smyths have everything ready to go for each customer. Have the PS5 console, games, accessories all sorted per customer. Then they can just make one trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I chose to order online as my local Smyths was flanked by a halting site and that'd be really chancing fate walking out with a new console, turns out shop moved since I was there last. Lockdown is making it a better choice in either case.

Advertisement