Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The whole point of pre-ordering something is that you get it at or near launch, if GS can't guarantee that, they shouldn't take the pre-order.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have been out of the preorder loop for a while as I was lucky to get one from the first batch but I have a few people asking me about getting a ps5 for their little one off Santa. Is it looking most likely to reserve in argos night before, queue up outside harvey normans/currys morning of or somewhere else that might be doing it?

Currys took in-store pre-orders and they were filled in a couple of hours. I wouldn't trust HN or Argos, the staff will take most of them. Best bet is another round of pre-orders opening up from one of the online retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

For anyone who has pre-ordered with Smyths or has experience with them in the past - Do you know if its possible to reduce the balance that will be charged to your card by using smiths vouchers/gift cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd be in a similar boat as Berty with my preorder being in GS.

I got my preorder started in Feb and had the console paid off by August. But for me, the whole preorder thing is more about having a structured way of paying off the console in installments rather than one big whack. Now obviously I'd prefer to have it launch day, but I'm happier knowing I'll walk in, collect and walk out with potentially only dropping money on games.

However, since my local is in Dublin, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that even preordering 8 months ago won't be enough.

I do think this was going to be lose-lose for GameStop though, they are getting hammered for taking a list of potential customers but the alternative is first come first served on the day the consoles arrive in store or online. And considering the amount of people with multiple pre-orders considering things like Gamestop's queue, Amazon's delivery etc it's not unreasonable to say that people with multiple pre-orders are also contributing to the problem. I know pretty much everyone here said they'd cancel the other preorder or give it to family or sell for cost but the reality is that potentially you've kept a preorder from someone else and now when the preorder is potentially cancelled, only GS have a "queue" system to ensure the next in line gets notified.

Don't get me wrong, they were far from perfect, and in my head while a deposit is a good idea, 50 seems a bit too high for me, ultimately, I don't know how much I'd do different if I was a gaming retailer, especially when you consider they didn't know what their allocation was but people were coming in demanding to get a preorder in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

For anyone who has pre-ordered with Smyths or has experience with them in the past - Do you know if its possible to reduce the balance that will be charged to your card by using smiths vouchers/gift cards?

Unless you have pre order in store, then no. I asked a shop assistant whilst in store about that.
    If you have an online reservation, the payment will be sought in full of the card you placed the order with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it's a worry get a prepaid card and change payment details to that, and then add money to the card before hand.

Or set up a 0 notice saving account and just add money to that on you bank and a week before release add that amount into the normal current account you debit card pays out of. Just make sure the current account has enough already in it to cover anything else if you don't want the balance to drop for any free fees stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Varik wrote: »
    If it's a worry get a prepaid card and change payment details to that, and then add money to the card before hand.

Or set up a 0 notice saving account and just add money to that on you bank and a week before release add that amount into the normal current account you debit card pays out of. Just make sure the current account has enough already in it to cover anything else if you don't want the balance to drop for any free fees stuff.

Ah no, its not a worry. Just have a few hundred quid worth of smyths vouchers and thought this be a good way to use them. No panic if can't, I'll just use them for xmas for presents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

recyclops wrote: »
    I think this is part of the problem, majority of the people who paid are expecting it on day 1, this is no fault of gamestop really but they also need to considering with the majority of products that you preoder you get them on day 1. They could easily have done the exact same as others and not required a €50 deposit which i think compounds the believe of most people they will get it on day 1, again this is on the consumer but stupid practice by gamestop and unnecessary.

Consumer behaviour has got worse over time not better and gamestop should of had the cop on to not allow over allocation, it was more than likely the suits who made these decisions but will be the staff who bear the brunt.

I myself have had run ins with them cancelling orders after taking money so I may be slightly biased but the above still rings true,
    Penn wrote: »
    I think Gamestop would have been better only taking enough preorders to match their allocation of stock from the PS4/XB1 launches (even just to use that as a benchmark) until they actually knew how many consoles they'd be getting at launch. That's the issue. They took in far too many preorders, and now people who thought they'd be getting their console at launch and therefore didn't try preorder one elsewhere like Smyths are being told they may not get their console until after launch, which could even be after Xmas given how many preorders they took in.

Most retailers limited the number of preorders they accepted. Gamestop didn't until it was too late, and that has left some of their customers who preordered relatively early now having to scramble to get one elsewhere.

I'm not disagreeing totally, in regards to overselling stock allocations.And the fact after the first wave of online orders(where no deposit was required) were gone and then they put the €50 queue system. Then shortly after adding that not all pre-orders are guaranteed, to the listing. This all happened in a relatively short space of time. Realistically they are not the only ones to oversell allocations and nobody knows the allocation figures for any of the retailers. Unless they are involved in that actual area, for each retailer.
    But to back up my end regarding other retailers and the fact I'm not involved in the business. I'm basing it on previous console launches, where I've seen the post from people being left without a launch day pre- order from various retailers. Due to overselling initial stock allocations. Hope that makes sense, to anyone bothered to read this.

Other retailers are not just gaming stores, that only sell gaming related items. Smyths, Hardly Noramal, currys, etc, to name a few. So when they oversell pre-orders, you don't see as many bitching about it.

I know GS are far from an Angelic company and have had their fair share of in the spotlight controversies.
    Plus they are more expensive when it comes to selling games.

But I think the €50 deposit queuing system and the €50 extremely early "register Your interest option" are not a big a deal as people make out. Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm probably banging on about it too much.

It's because I logically can't see, what's wrong with it. It's not breaking any consumer law. It's offering people another way and not anywhere do they state by using the said choices, that it's a guarantee of securing the product
    day one or year one. When I walked into my local store back in January and inquired about putting down a deposit extremely early. I knew there'd be no idea of stock allocations and a possibility of it being a waste of time.
    That was my part of the contract and is the same for everyone.

Other retailers had a register your interest via email option. Which in my eyes is worse because when it came to pre-order time, I doubt anyone got notified in time.

It's your choice at the end of the day. We can all probably agree that it's not down to the staff or regional management.But it's in the hands of higher power.
    I'm basing this on GS Ireland solely and not international. I look at it in the manner that we need shops like GS to stay in business, in our small little bubble of a country. It's convenient for many reasons in my eyes.
    Like trade-ins,the fact it's also a bricks and mortar physical store(walk in and purchase release day items* subject to availability ;)) and they offer a decent loyalty program.
    And not to forget the fact they employ people, throughout the country. Especially in the ****fest that is 2020, when so many people depend on the likes of gaming to survive the current pandemic.

Holy mother of God, I was not expecting my post to be this long winded and if it comes across as OTT.
    Mods feel free to let me know/delete it.

I just feel I have to say something to some of the biased comments and little digs. I might not be the best of getting my thoughts out on paper and might come across a bit hypocritical.
    In regards respecting individual opinions and at the same time not seeing the logic of your/their argument on this topic.

Also it may not sound like it, but I do use other retailers too:) Now I'm 100% done in regards to this and hopefully in the overall light of things... I'm still on topic. Sorry all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I see over in the Xbox thread that some had their preorders cancelled with the MS store because Revolut rejected the preauthorization for the transaction.

Hope that isn’t going to be a problem with Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

I see over in the Xbox thread that some had their preorders cancelled with the MS store because Revolut rejected the preauthorization for the transaction.

Hope that isn’t going to be a problem with Smyths.
    smyth will give you 24 hours to fix any problems with your payment.They email you asking you to update your payment details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

bazzz wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing totally, in regards to overselling stock allocations.And the fact after the first wave of online orders(where no deposit was required) were gone and then they put the €50 queue system. Then shortly after adding that not all pre-orders are guaranteed, to the listing. This all happened in a relatively short space of time. Realistically they are not the only ones to oversell allocations and nobody knows the allocation figures for any of the retailers. Unless they are involved in that actual area, for each retailer.
    But to back up my end regarding other retailers and the fact I'm not involved in the business. I'm basing it on previous console launches, where I've seen the post from people being left without a launch day pre- order from various retailers. Due to overselling initial stock allocations. Hope that makes sense, to anyone bothered to read this.

Other retailers are not just gaming stores, that only sell gaming related items. Smyths, Hardly Noramal, currys, etc, to name a few. So when they oversell pre-orders, you don't see as many bitching about it.

I know GS are far from an Angelic company and have had their fair share of in the spotlight controversies.

But I think the €50 deposit queuing system and the €50 extremely early "register Your interest option" are not a big a deal as people make out. Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm probably banging on about it too much.

It's because I logically can't see, what's wrong with it. It's not breaking any consumer law. It's offering people another way and not anywhere do they state by using the said choices, that it's a guarantee of securing the product
    day one or year one. When I walked into my local store back in January and inquired about putting down a deposit extremely early. I knew there'd be no idea of stock allocations and a possibility of it being a waste of time.

Other retailers had a register your interest via email option. Which in my eyes is worse because when it came to pre-order time, I doubt anyone got notified in time.

It's your choice at the end of the day. We can all probably agree that it's not down to the staff or regional management.But it's in the hands of higher power.
    I'm basing this on GS Ireland solely and not international. I look at it in the manner that we need shops like GS to stay in business, in our small little bubble of a country. It's convenient for many reasons in my eyes.
    Like trade-ins,the fact it's also a bricks and mortar physical store(walk in and purchase release day items* subject to availability ;)) and they offer a decent loyalty program.
    And not to forget the fact they employ people, throughout the country. Especially in the ****fest that is 2020, when so many people depend on the likes of gaming to survive the current pandemic.

Holy mother of God, I was not expecting my post to be this long winded and if it comes across as OTT.

I just feel I have to say something to some of the biased comments and little digs. I might not be the best of getting my thoughts out on paper and might come across a bit hypocritical.
    In regards respecting individual opinions and at the same time not seeing the logic of your/their argument on this topic.

Also it may not sound like it, but I do use other retailers too:) Now I'm 100% done in regards to this and hopefully in the overall light of things... I'm still on topic. Sorry all.
    Just wish gamestop would contact people who have deposit down who will get them day 1 as surely they know their stock etc. By now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Spooch

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Just wish gamestop would contact people who have deposit down who will get them day 1 as surely they know their stock etc. By now.

Gonna give my store a ring in the morning see if they can tell me anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

bazzz wrote: »

GameStop is a massive company (obviously going through some tough times right now) that deal with products that are regularly pre ordered. Having a system in place where people have clear knowledge about having something ready on release should be their bread and butter.

When a console launches this close to Christmas it’s going to be a stressful time for a lot of people trying to secure one before then, and it is completely ridiculous that people who have preordered over a year ago still don’t know if they have one on launch day. The preorder is basically worth nothing to lots of people when they don’t know when they’ll get the console.

People are rightly having a go imo, they shouldn’t have been taking pre orders if they weren’t going to be able to fulfil them. It’s fine saying you’d like them to survive(which I do too) but it’s their job to provide a quality service. If they don’t do that, they’re doomed, pandemic or no pandemic.

Lads... Advice required.

I can't figure this out perusing the web,

If I get the BO CW cross gen bundle which includes the PS4 disc and then code to upgrade the version to PS5 with a code (with PS4 disc inserted), Can my lad still use the disc to play on the PS4 after the upgrade to PS5 ?
    So... when on PS5 he logs in and plays, but he can also use the disc to go back to PS4 when required and carry on with his gaming ?

Thanks in advance.

McFly85 wrote: »
    GameStop is a massive company (obviously going through some tough times right now) that deal with products that are regularly pre ordered. Having a system in place where people have clear knowledge about having something ready on release should be their bread and butter.

When a console launches this close to Christmas it’s going to be a stressful time for a lot of people trying to secure one before then, and it is completely ridiculous that people who have preordered over a year ago still don’t know if they have one on launch day. The preorder is basically worth nothing to lots of people when they don’t know when they’ll get the console.

People are rightly having a go imo, they shouldn’t have been taking pre orders if they weren’t going to be able to fulfil them. It’s fine saying you’d like them to survive(which I do too) but it’s their job to provide a quality service. If they don’t do that, they’re doomed, pandemic or no pandemic.

They should definitely let people know if they have one or not as I ordered last December and still don't know for sure. Surely they would know how many they have now per shop etc. So tell people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lads... Advice required.

If I get the BO CW cross gen bundle which includes the PS4 disc and then code to upgrade the version to PS5 with a code (with PS4 disc inserted), Can my lad still use the disc to play on the PS4 after the upgrade to PS5 ?
    So... when on PS5 he logs in and plays, but he can also use the disc to go back to PS4 when required and carry on with his gaming ?

Thanks in advance.

It's a tricky one, and not fully confirmed I don't think, but this seems to give the best explanation:
    https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/explaining_call_of_duty_black_ops_cold_wars_ps4_to_ps5_upgrade_transition
    If you want the PS5 version as well as the PS4, then you’ll be able to purchase the Cross-Gen Bundle which includes both – or a PlayStation Store upgrade. However, if you purchase the PS4 game on Blu-ray, you’ll need to have that inserted into your PS5 in order to enjoy the next-gen version. If you buy the PS5 Digital Edition, then you’ll need to buy the PS4 game digitally to play it on your PS5.

So it would seem if you buy the Cross-Gen bundle or PS4-to-PS5 upgrade, you still have full access to the PS4 version of the game. You'll need the disk whichever console you're playing it on, but you can still play it on either console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

RGARDINR wrote: »
    They should definitely let people know if they have one or not as I ordered last December and still don't know for sure. Surely they would know how many they have now per shop etc. So tell people.

Exactly-if you preordered last year and they opened the website for additional pre-orders the day Sony announced the price and date then there shouldn’t be any question of you not getting your console on launch day.

But the fact that they still haven’t confirmed these sounds like GameStop themselves aren’t 100% sure who’s first in their queue. I feel for the employees because they’re going to get a lot of grief from customers over this but how a company who would have gone through several generations of console launches can still act like this is beyond me.

Lads... Advice required.

Thanks in advance.

That should work just fine, but he won't be able to transfer his saves, so he will have 2 different profiles across the 2 consoles

Markitron wrote: »
    That should work just fine, but he won't be able to transfer his saves, so he will have 2 different profiles across the 2 consoles

Current info seems to be hinting that you might be able to use cloud saves on PS+ between 4 and 5.
    Sony are being vague AF about this though.

I have the PS5 version pre ordered, but I might go with the cross gen as it makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think it's Vague because GTA are talking about developing new content on the PS5 Multiplayer so if you advance your profile when playing the PS5 then it wouldn't work with the PS4 because the DLC isn't there. So how it loads then is questionable.

Current info seems to be hinting that you might be able to use cloud saves on PS+ between 4 and 5.
    Sony are being vague AF about this though.

I have the PS5 version pre ordered, but I might go with the cross gen as it makes more sense.

I think those cloud saves are for bringing PS4 saves to your PS5 to continue playing PS4 games via BC. I would be very surprised if you could just flick back and forth between PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game. It shouldn't be a problem, but only Nintendo are worse than Sony for this kind of thing.

• Advertisement

McFly85 wrote: »
    Exactly-if you preordered last year and they opened the website for additional pre-orders the day Sony announced the price and date then there shouldn’t be any question of you not getting your console on launch day.

But the fact that they still haven’t confirmed these sounds like GameStop themselves aren’t 100% sure who’s first in their queue. I feel for the employees because they’re going to get a lot of grief from customers over this but how a company who would have gone through several generations of console launches can still act like this is beyond me.

Ohhh I really pity staff when they have to inform people. But they should just get a move on it. As a bit of a joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

Has anyone got any update from there local gamestop?
    Tried mine just been told you have a good chance as preordered early (last November). This is a bit of a **** show from them with launch so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

jvrk wrote: »
    Has anyone got any update from there local gamestop?
    Tried mine just been told you have a good chance as preordered early (last November). This is a bit of a **** show from them with launch so soon.

I haven't heard anything yet. Am waiting for house plans from an Architect as well and the fact both were supposed to come this week and neither delivered means I'm extra :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

RedXIV wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything yet. Am waiting for house plans from an Architect as well and the fact both were supposed to come this week and neither delivered means I'm extra :(

OK, I know the console's big, but you don't have to plan a house around it

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

So everyone has got their pre orders that are going to get them at this stage, I presume??
    Will there be availability, off the shelf, before Xmas.
    My young fella announced that he's asking Santa for one.
    My heart sank I will freely admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

No one knows to be honest if there will be any more released before Christmas but obviously Sony will want as many as they can get out there. Its just a question of if they can produce and ship enough.

Keep an eye on Argos the evening before launch. At some point after the stores close on November 18th the PS5 will go live on their website for order. That's your best hope but you'll need to be fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

FaganJr wrote: »
    So everyone has got their pre orders that are going to get them at this stage, I presume??
    well you can try argos close to launch around midnight to see if you can reserve one you might be lucky.They didn't do perorders here only in UK .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Has anyone with a Smyths pre-order to collect the PS5 in-store asked what they are planning if non-essential stores are closed? I'm going to ask them if orders will be switched to home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

FaganJr wrote: »

Could you tell him Santa caught Covid closer to the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

Has anyone with a pre-order to collect the PS5 in-store asked what they are planning if non-essential stores are closed?

Gamestop seem to so incompetent with this preorder I'd be afraid to ask them.

Advertisement