Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

mightyreds wrote: »
    Someone on reddit rang all the stores that would usually sell them, below is the results, not looking good but maybe some availability on launch who knows.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/jtiwuv/ps5_availability_by_stores/
    That thread contains a claim I have seen a couple of times here, which is that Argos HQ are not providing Irish stores with stock in order to have more units in the UK.

If this is true it will surely result in some very bad publicity for Argos.

I still have some doubts about the veracity of the claim, we will see soon enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That thread contains a claim I have seen a couple of times here, which is that Argos HQ are not providing Irish stores with stock in order to have more units in the UK.

If this is true it will surely result in some very bad publicity for Argos.

I still have some doubts about the veracity of the claim, we will see soon enough.

Argos' parent is looking to close 400+ stores with thousands of redundancies. I doubt bad press in Irel;and over the PS5 would worry them unduly, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jsemple

I'm willing to believe Argos won't have any at launch. As far as I can tell they didn't get any Dualsense Charging Stations or Pulse headsets on Thursday which were sold out on pre-orders in the UK.

Still, they clearly didn't do that with Xbox.

Personally I am suspicious of all those retailers not getting any additional stock until 2021. First of all I doubt many of the employees you could get a hold of the phone would be sure enough to say that. Secondly most of those retailers only took pre-orders for launch day (GameStop being a notorious exception) so the idea that none of them are getting more this year seems unlikely. Especially when it seems like a bunch of UK retailers are going to be selling more online on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mikiek14

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Again, sorry to keep going on about it. Smyth's customer service on Facebook replied, saying the above. Then I explained we were in contact with Blanchardstown. They obviously got the details from that support ticket, and were able to send the payment details to the alternate email I provided to Blanch yesterday.

Unbelievable customer service, streets ahead of most company's I have dealt with.

That is mighty customer service. Good for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's safe to say that if smyths are creating labels with UPS and DPD on a Sunday there's no way they're being allocated for pickup. Chancers are just for palletising them for Wednesday I'd say. They might send them Tuesday , doubt they'd care what Sony think at this stage.

If you're in Athlone and Smyths send on Tuesday you'll be guaranteed delivery Wednesday(sorting hub is there). If you're someplace where DPD use Seasonal staff(like my guy a moonlighting taxi driver) then hmmm you'd wonder.

Mine is click and collect so Thursday of course.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Argos' parent is looking to close 400+ stores with thousands of redundancies. I doubt bad press in Irel;and over the PS5 would worry them unduly, TBH.
    I would not expect a company to stop caring about their image just because they are going through a tough period. They should care more.

We're not talking about simple "bad press over the PS5". What people are alleging would be a clear case of anti-Irish discrimination. From a company that has had a presence here for 20+ years I just have a hard time believing it.

Anyway, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I would not expect a company to stop caring about their image just because they are going through a tough period. They should care more.

We're not talking about simple "bad press over the PS5". What people are alleging would be a clear case of anti-Irish discrimination. From a company that has had a presence here for 20+ years I just have a hard time believing it.

Anyway, we'll see.

Discrimination? Holy jaysus.... According to the Reddit link Argos, Harvey Norman, Power City, DID will have none. People forget the U.K. population is 13 times greater than ours

Extremely popular console and Covid had both increased demand for gaming in general as well as holding up all areas of production

I’m pretty sure Argos want to sell to you and would if they could

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Even if Argos have some it will be like the Xbox and about 5 in a handful of stores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I know i mentioned the address thing already for amazon but just received this email from them there 2 mins ago. It's getting closer :D Just take my money FFS.

Hello,

We noticed that you may have used a freight forwarder when you ordered your PlayStation 5 Console.

We’re pleased to confirm that this item is now available for delivery to addresses in the Republic of Ireland.

You can update your orders delivery address to an Irish address by following these steps:

1. Click on Your Account at the top of any page of our website.

2. Under "Orders" click the "Your Orders" button, and sign in with your e-mail address and password.

3. Click the "Change Delivery Address" button next to the order number you want to modify.

4. To use an address that's already in your account, scroll down through the list and click the "Use This Address" button beneath the correct address.

5. To use a new address, click on "Add Address" and enter the new information. If this is an address to which you haven’t previously dispatched orders, we’ll ask you to re-enter your payment card number for security purposes.

6. Remember to click the "Confirm" button after making your change.

Please also note that if the order is marked "Dispatching soon", it’s already entered the dispatch process and you won’t be able to make any changes to it. Also, if the order is a gift that was ordered with just the recipient's e-mail address, for security reasons you won’t be able to view or edit the delivery address.

Please note: amending your order may affect the original estimated delivery date.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I know i mentioned the address thing already for amazon but just received this email from them there 2 mins ago. It's getting closer :D Just take my money FFS.

Hello,

We noticed that you may have used a freight forwarder when you ordered your PlayStation 5 Console.

We’re pleased to confirm that this item is now available for delivery to addresses in the Republic of Ireland.

You can update your orders delivery address to an Irish address by following these steps:

1. Click on Your Account at the top of any page of our website.

2. Under "Orders" click the "Your Orders" button, and sign in with your e-mail address and password.

3. Click the "Change Delivery Address" button next to the order number you want to modify.

4. To use an address that's already in your account, scroll down through the list and click the "Use This Address" button beneath the correct address.

5. To use a new address, click on "Add Address" and enter the new information. If this is an address to which you haven’t previously dispatched orders, we’ll ask you to re-enter your payment card number for security purposes.

6. Remember to click the "Confirm" button after making your change.

Please also note that if the order is marked "Dispatching soon", it’s already entered the dispatch process and you won’t be able to make any changes to it. Also, if the order is a gift that was ordered with just the recipient's e-mail address, for security reasons you won’t be able to view or edit the delivery address.

Please note: amending your order may affect the original estimated delivery date.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

Did you do it? Got the same but a bit worried about this piece as you have to change to a slower delivery method. Hope the point of this was to get ROI delivery on Thursday rather than Friday with PM.

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    Did you do it? Got the same but a bit worried about this piece as you have to change to a slower delivery method. Hope the point of this was to get ROI delivery on Thursday rather than Friday with PM.

I did but changed back hahaha :pac: it went from delivered Thursday 19th to my Parcel Motel address to estimated between 21-24 November to the Irish address.

I don't know what to do. With the delays people are saying with parcel motel if it arrives in Newtonabbey late Thursday, probably won't get to Dublin Friday or Saturday then if they miss the cutoff, Could be Monday for delivery. Too much sitting around for my liking.

Probably end up arriving same time direct from amazon. Or they could be using the new drivers and banging them out early :confused:

Decisions, decisions

Discrimination? Holy jaysus.... According to the Reddit link Argos, Harvey Norman, Power City, DID will have none. People forget the U.K. population is 13 times greater than ours

Extremely popular console and Covid had both increased demand for gaming in general as well as holding up all areas of production

I’m pretty sure Argos want to sell to you and would if they could
    Perhaps you have jumped in and replied without reading the previous posts?

Argos are allocated a certain number of units by Sony, based on their number of branches (incl Irish stores).

The claim - which I have no idea is true - is that no units at all will be supplied to the Irish branches, in order to have more available for British customers. For a company with a presence both here and in the UK, that would be a clear case of discrimination. I have no doubt it would be picked up by some publications.

Companies like DID and Power City do not have a presence in the UK so that's a totally irrelevant comparison.

It's wasted breath going round in circles further on this one, since for all I know the claims may be false. Lets wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I did but changed back hahaha :pac: it went from delivered Thursday 19th to my Parcel Motel address to estimated between 21-24 November to the Irish address.

I don't know what to do. With the delays people are saying with parcel motel if it arrives in Newtonabbey late Thursday, probably won't get to Dublin Friday or Saturday then if they miss the cutoff, Could be Monday for delivery. Too much sitting around for my liking.

Probably end up arriving same time direct from amazon. Or they could be using the new drivers and banging them out early :confused:

Decisions, decisions

FWIW I had a PS5 accessory ready for collection at 6am last Friday (arrived in NI on Thursday). Didn't experience any delay, that's pretty normal.

v3ttel wrote: »
    FWIW I had a PS5 accessory ready for collection at 6am last Friday (arrived in NI on Thursday). Didn't experience any delay, that's pretty normal.

Yeah looked through my recent parcels and they've all been next day too.

But it's too big for the locker apparently. No idea if the home delivery is any different time wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Yeah looked through my recent parcels and they've all been next day too.

But it's too big for the locker apparently. No idea if the home delivery is any different time wise?

I haven't checked dimensions but is the PS5 console specified as oversized?. I currently have it set at home delivery but tempted to change to locker & take the chance. It really is hard to know. I'm based in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,336 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got the same email from Amazon. Don't mind the slower delivery time because it's a Christmas present so time isn't of the essence.

Did notice that the price went up to £453.74 - think that's Irish VAT tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

My main reason for doing it is because I don't trust Parcel Motel with the most in demand product in the world right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Decisions, decisions

I did the same as you. I only changed back because I’ve paid for extra insurance and had topped up my PM account for the expected oversize fee and home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm not a prime member atm and I only have the 3-5 days option, is there a faster option if you have prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭consulatory

The_Brood wrote: »
    Being between the UK and the US you'd think Ireland would be in prime position to get important stock in a reasonable timeframe; instead it looks like we're some kind of forgotten satellite off Pluto's third moon.

Whoever is responsible for this needs firing.

I also haven't a clue what you're on about with regards to our geographic position. It's not the 1700s. Containerised shipping & motorised ship engines exist.

The Sony crew aren't embarking on a voyage with stock that will take them 3 months. FFS!

We have money the same as everybody else unless your people trade in gold and saffron and had a good barter lined up for them.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm not a prime member atm and I only have the 3-5 days option, is there a faster option if you have prime?

No, I have Prime and it's the same.

No, I have Prime and it's the same.

Thanks. I'm debating whether or not to just go with the 3-5 day option, this PS5 isn't for me, I'm collecting mine from Smyths. If its more reliable I just go with it though, the person I ordered it for isn't waiting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The claim - which I have no idea is true - is that no units at all will be supplied to the Irish branches, in order to have more available for British customers. For a company with a presence both here and in the UK, that would be a clear case of discrimination. I have no doubt it would be picked up by some publications.

It's not discrimination though. The UK stores had a framework for taking pre-orders, whereas the Irish stores did not. The UK stores need the full allocation of consoles they're getting to fulfill the pre-orders they've already taken in the UK, hence no more left for the Irish stores which haven't taken pre-orders anyway.

It's a business decision, and no doubt it'll annoy much of their Irish customers who missed out on pre-orders elsewhere and were banking on getting one in Argos on release, but either way, it's not discrimination.

The claim - which I have no idea is true - is that no units at all will be supplied to the Irish branches, in order to have more available for British customers. For a company with a presence both here and in the UK, that would be a clear case of discrimination. I have no doubt it would be picked up by some publications. .

Not really discrimination per se. I think the issue - if it turns out to be true that there is no Irish stock - is that they were taking pre-orders in the UK and not in Ireland. Easy to imagine that the pre-orders filled their stock allocation.

Markitron wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm debating whether or not to just go with the 3-5 day option, this PS5 isn't for me, I'm collecting mine from Smyths. If its more reliable I just go with it though, the person I ordered it for isn't waiting on it.

That's exactly the boat I'm in. Decided to cut out an unnecessary step in the process and just go with Amazon, that way if anything does go wrong I only have them to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Surprised to see this even lasted 3 hurts up on Adverts and is still there as of 15:38!! - https://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-5-bundle-raffle/22153837

That's exactly the boat I'm in. Decided to cut out an unnecessary step in the process and just go with Amazon, that way if anything does go wrong I only have them to deal with.

Yea, I just changed it there. Not waiting on it so save myself the hassle and the 20 quid PM would cost me.

Even if Argos have some it will be like the Xbox and about 5 in a handful of stores

Regarding Argos, I spoke to a guy in one of their stores when collecting a Series X a few days ago, and they definitely haven't been told they're not getting any in. They also haven't been told that they definitely are, so who knows. What he did say is that all of the staff wanted one, and they're limited to 1 each. The same will apply to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

madmoe wrote: »
    Surprised to see this even lasted 3 hurts up on Adverts and is still there as of 15:38!! - https://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-5-bundle-raffle/22153837

Seen adds on eBay digital version selling for €850!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 occne

Basil3 wrote: »
    What he did say is that all of the staff wanted one, and they're limited to 1 each.

The guy that served me for my 2 preorders in Smyths said the same, the guy in the queue in front of me asked him if he'd reserved his own yet, and he said 'ah i'll do it on my lunch break' they were sold out in 30 mins poor guy.

If Argos get any, looks like they're going to the staff.

Advertisement