Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I disagree. Sony have said that they wont stock the PlayStation 5 on shelves so it would make sense for stores to throw everything up on preorder that they have for click and collect when its ready.

So certainly some may come up on the morning of in some stores if that's when they receive stock, but most stores will just throw their preorder stock up. No value in holding stock back.

Sony are telling retailers to not have any stock available on launch day?

They aren't holding stock back by having launch day availability. It will sell 100%. Whether it's 8am, 5pm or even the next day. They'll get through their stock very quickly.

The Xbox One S/X had stock available on launch day in my local Smyths.
    CSF wrote: »
    Unfair on who though?

The people who didn't pre-order? I missed the initial midnight one and the second one I only found out about because of a post on Reddit, not that it mattered because it was gone by the time a lot of people saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The people who didn't pre-order? I missed the initial midnight one and the second one I only found out about because of a post on Reddit, not that it mattered because it was gone by the time I saw it.

They can't accomodate everyone like, you missed the pre orders, its hardly UNFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If Smyths have 2000 consoles to sell, there is absolutely no benefit to selling 1750 and holding back 250 (as an example), particularly in Covid.

Get the pre-orders and sales recorded and allocate them all. Ending up with unsold consoles (albeit unlikely) doesn't serve anyone.

• siblers wrote: »
    I saw a post on Reddit where someone said the likes of Argos, Currys etc won't have any on launch and only Gamestop, Smyths etc would have them available for pre-order.

He could be completely wrong on that though

Just found it there. Seems awfully familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

unfair is a stretch
    a big stretch

is there luck involved in a pre-order, sure. As there is for every console launch

But there's a limited quantity and tis not in any businesses interest to not sell all of its stock in advance and have carried on the day cash flow

Unfair it is not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I’d say every retailer planned on selling all the preorder allocation regardless if they new they’d be getting more from Sony on the 19th.

Why wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,245 ✭✭✭✭CSF

bennyl10 wrote: »
    unfair is a stretch
    a big stretch

is there luck involved in a pre-order, sure. As there is for every console launch

But there's a limited quantity and tis not in any businesses interest to not sell all of its stock in advance and have carried on the day cash flow

Unfair it is not

Yeah, I mean someone was always gonna end up without it if there was more demand than supply. First come first served is arguably the fairest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭PopeVicodin

I pre-ordered and I'm in a queue with an ETA of 27th of Dec.

It would be more unfair that someone who didn't bother pre-order would get one just turn up on the day and get one before me.

In fact many North Americans have already done exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Behanjin

It would be more unfair that someone who didn't bother pre-order would get one just turn up on the day and get one before me.

Yeah if a store has a "second wave" queue, those people should get the spares, not some random off the street. Lockdown or not, thats just not the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

The people who didn't pre-order? I missed the initial midnight one and the second one I only found out about because of a post on Reddit, not that it mattered because it was gone by the time a lot of people saw it.

I can sympathize with people missing the midnight preorders, but Smyths advertised their 2nd round in advance. What's your plan if Argos gets stock? Rock up to the shop at 9am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

kirkfx wrote: »
    I can sympathize with people missing the midnight preorders, but Smyths advertised their 2nd round in advance. What's your plan if Argos gets stock? Rock up to the shop at 9am?

No thats not how it works, you cant just "rock" up to the shop. They wont be getting stock, even if by some miracle they do, it will have to be reserved on their site and will be gone in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I don't know if I just lucked out, but I was able to get through to GS's customer support and didn't find the gaps between emails to be anything crazy, given the logistics they are have to do with moving the in store order to online. I ran into some issues with the gift card not showing the total value I paid in store, and I also was one of the ones not getting emails from the team with my code details, but once I contacted Support it was all resolved within 48 hours. It honestly sounds like the store didn't have the right details for my email address, but it was resolved easily.

The same here, i emailed them last night and got a reply by lunchtime today with all the codes necessary to continue with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Every store is different so its just tough luck if you have a pre order for the 27th of DEC from Game stop.

I spoke with Harvey Norman and PC world customer support directly and both had the same answer. They did not opt to do pre orders with the stock allocation they had. Its first come first serve with click and collect.

Thats from the horses mouth not a friend of a friend. They also said they will have a very limited amount and most shops wont even have them so i wouldn't be surprised if the staff snap them up before they go on sale because it sounds like they have only a small few.
    I tried to get an answer from Argos but they just gave a very diplomatic semi automated response so i cant comment on that.
    I missed the initial one and i missed the tweet from Smyths by 10 minutes for the saturday allocation on Sept 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I see news story on skynews its getting worse about orders backlogged at ports in England saying xbox series x and new ps5 are getting delayed in containers over there marked for UK and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

kirkfx wrote: »

If somewhere has stock I'll place an order and wait. I'd like to get one at launch but chances are slim to none, it makes no difference to me as I'm in no rush. I just think anyone who didn't manage to get a pre-order should still have a chance at getting one but people seem to disagree. It's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean someone was always gonna end up without it if there was more demand than supply. First come first served is arguably the fairest solution.

If only it was actually first come, first served. Smyth's website shat itself and inexplicably allowed people who were later to the game secure one at the expense of people who were ready and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

If somewhere has stock I'll place an order and wait. I'd like to get one at launch but chances are slim to none, it makes no difference to me as I'm in no rush. I just think anyone who didn't manage to get a pre-order should still have a chance at getting one but people seem to disagree. It's not a big deal.

Smyths and game stop were the only two taking pre orders as far as im aware? its not like they are the only two in the country going to get them, i imagine the rest's business does not largely hang on game consoles so they will sell what they are given. Tho i assume what they will be given is quite small.

RGARDINR wrote: »
    I see news story on skynews its getting worse about orders backlogged at ports in England saying xbox series x and new ps5 are getting delayed in containers over there marked for UK and Ireland

That article mentions the PlayStation and XBox in passing only noting that Sony and Microsoft have mentioned they will be hard to come by. I think that was a handy sub-headline to draw attention :)

I don't think it'll have much impact on this week's pre-orders in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

RGARDINR wrote: »

Ye are killing yourselves with this speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

That article mentions the PlayStation and XBox in passing only noting that Sony and Microsoft have mentioned they will be hard to come by. I think that was a handy sub-headline to draw attention :)

I don't think it'll have much impact on this week's pre-orders in any event.
    Ohh yeah that's fine more if stock might of came in before Xmas and yeah ha probably click bait seeing xbox and ps5 mentioned ha got me reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rach784

would anybody have any idea how long the updates take for a new console, I have a pre order with smyths for my 11 year old son for christmas, we are border line as to weather he still believes (Santa) or not, debating about trying to open and update before christmas or do I leave as it is and update Christmas day..
    any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

rach784 wrote: »
    would anybody have any idea how long the updates take for a new console, I have a pre order with smyths for my 11 year old son for christmas, we are border line as to weather he still believes (Santa) or not, debating about trying to open and update before christmas or do I leave as it is and update Christmas day..
    any thoughts??
    Standard North Pole procedure is to not update the system software so I would leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

any thoughts??

Depends how fast your Internet is, also will he be playing online games? If so he will have to update that game before playing. Servers could be overloaded and downloads could be slow on Christmas day.

Honestly if it was me I'd have it all updated and ready to go. I'd even plug it in Christmas eve to be sure

any thoughts??

Update on Christmas Day I would say. You could find yourselves updating it multiple times before Christmas to find a further update due on the day. Get it set up early on Christmas Day and it shouldn't take too long - I've read Sony have worked on download speeds for updates.

They absolutely should, but there was none left after pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Just got a text from Smyth's to say

Your Smyths Toys parcel has been on boarded by our courier and is scheduled for delivery today!!

At 17.37pm. Surely it won't be out this evening

DPD link still says Order data received from sender

If only it was actually first come, first served. Smyth's website shat itself and inexplicably allowed people who were later to the game secure one at the expense of people who were ready and waiting.

I didn’t know that. Certainly a bad scenario. Don’t really know how they could have fixed it to make it legit first come first served once the website went wonky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

any thoughts??

The PS5 has a start up sequence that it only does the first time, it's nothing special but he might notice and you'd need to sign in to download any game he owns already or that are free.

Updates are a great way to force family time.

Honestly depends on your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Just got a text from Smyth's to say

Your Smyths Toys parcel has been on boarded by our courier and is scheduled for delivery today!!

At 17.37pm. Surely it won't be out this evening

DPD link still says Order data received from sender

Send us your address there and we can verify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 HolyMackerel

any thoughts??

Mightn't be the same for everyone, some might say update, some will say not to.

Personally, when "Santa" brought me my playstation 1, I woke up on Christmas morning to it already plugged in and hooked up and ready to play. I was ecstatic. I'd imagine nowadays you'll lose some initial magic if you've to wait an hour or two to download updates. If you're in the countryside with crap internet, even worse again.

That being said, at 11 I would be surprised if he didn't know. I found out at 8 and milked it for good presents for the following 3-4 years until I was found out lol

Advertisement