Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If Smyths have 2000 consoles to sell, there is absolutely no benefit to selling 1750 and holding back 250 (as an example), particularly in Covid.

Get the pre-orders and sales recorded and allocate them all. Ending up with unsold consoles (albeit unlikely) doesn't serve anyone.

Yeah they don't do this, they want to sell it!

They allocate using the PRE order numbers and all of those orders are tagged as pre-orders. They have stock counts for those they can change separately than the "normal" stock counts. All stock counts do have a threshold of reserved stock though, to prevent overselling, issues with warehouse etc, but it's usually a small percentage, and once things quiet down, they issue those into the normal pre-order stock count. The system that allocate stock basically gets all orders with that item, ordered by date, grouped by Pre-Order being active or not. It's why they don't allow you to mix other items with it.

Normal stock count also has a threshold too, and they will set those values when they are ready to release to the normal population, and all pre-orders are fulfilled.

Source: I wrote the previous version of this check, I doubt it's changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mightn't be the same for everyone, some might say update, some will say not to.

Personally, when "Santa" brought me my playstation 1, I woke up on Christmas morning to it already plugged in and hooked up and ready to play. I was ecstatic. I'd imagine nowadays you'll lose some initial magic if you've to wait an hour or two to download updates. If you're in the countryside with crap internet, even worse again.

That being said, at 11 I would be surprised if he didn't know. I found out at 8 and milked it for good presents for the following 3-4 years until I was found out lol

Don't know if I'm right but I'd put money on a kid today wanting to unbox it themselves.

I'm far from a kid but I just watched an unboxing video for something I've no intention or need to ever own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Send us your address there and we can verify

123 Fake Street...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 HolyMackerel

Varik wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm right but I'd put money on a kid today wanting to unbox it themselves.

I'm far from a kid but I just watched an unboxing video for something I've no intention or need to ever own.

Depends on the kid I'd say, some will want to dig in immediately and others will want to unbox and know it's brand new. It's hard to judge I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Varik wrote: »

I'd agree with this. Especially as nowadays there's so many unboxing videos that most kids would tend to watch. My nephew tends to watch more people playing or talking about games than he does playing them himself. He's 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just got a text from Smyth's to say

Your Smyths Toys parcel has been on boarded by our courier and is scheduled for delivery today!!

At 17.37pm. Surely it won't be out this evening

DPD link still says Order data received from sender

All round to Billy's gaff for a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CSF wrote: »
    The GameStop lack of communication is bizarre. They keep posting ads on social media for various things and it’s just people fuming at them.

It’s as if they don’t realise that there are now countless other ways for people to buy games etc in the future, and that people are now gonna order elsewhere instead.

Given that in reality they obviously do realise that, is why I’m worried that there is gonna be legitimate problems with the dispatch and that they’re aware of this already.

TBH after paying off my controller and Gamestop ignoring my attempts to have it shipped I probably will go with Smyths in future. Headphones and charging station sent out from them last week no hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭TheWatcher182

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    TBH after paying off my controller and Gamestop ignoring my attempts to have it shipped I probably will go with Smyths in future. Headphones and charging station sent out from them last week no hassle at all.

Also, GameStop are away more expensive for games! Only ever go them as last resort. Preference is always Smyths or Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All round to Billy's gaff for a go.

The courier is definitely opening it tonight to play the bollox off it.

rach784 wrote: »
    would anybody have any idea how long the updates take for a new console, I have a pre order with smyths for my 11 year old son for christmas, we are border line as to weather he still believes (Santa) or not, debating about trying to open and update before christmas or do I leave as it is and update Christmas day..
    any thoughts??
    I would update beforehand, but not til closer to the date. On Christmas day there's going to be a lot of people hitting Sony's servers at the same time for updates. It will be slow.

If you are careful and remember how it was packed you should be able to box it back up like new. An 11-year old won't really notice if the cable ties etc are not perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭DaisyDLady

I would update beforehand, but not til closer to the date. On Christmas day there's going to be a lot of people hitting Sony's servers at the same time for updates. It will be slow.

If you are careful and remember how it was packed you should be able to box it back up like new. An 11-year old won't really notice if the cable ties etc are not perfect.

Totally agree.
    Was a complete **** show with ps4 Christmas morning, servers crashed for days .

And also a good idea to have 1 game on disk , for fear servers crash and you cant buy digital .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Also, GameStop are away more expensive for games! Only ever go them as last resort. Preference is always Smyths or Argos

Smyths and Argos are always €5-10 cheaper. The €5 pre-order discount in Smyth's is good for games I know I'm getting on day one. Don't know why people shop in GameStop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

So both Gamestop and Amazon have not dispatched them yet, so possibility of getting it launch day looking slim especially from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,245 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Absolutely. I’d been ordering from them exclusively during Covid under some misguided belief that they were the most reliable. No reason to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

RGARDINR wrote: »
    I see news story on skynews its getting worse about orders backlogged at ports in England saying xbox series x and new ps5 are getting delayed in containers over there marked for UK and Ireland

https://news.sky.com/story/christmas-orders-may-not-arrive-on-time-as-covid-and-brexit-stockpiling-cripple-major-uk-port-12134655

Nothing in it. Using PS5 and xbox as a headline grabber to be honest. A bit click-baity and certainly won’t impact the launch this week

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hope everyone gets sorted folks not sure if it’s comparable but I had no series x preorder and got one direct from ms Monday night last week delivered Thursday so I’d wager there will be a few ps5s around aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 occne

CSF wrote: »
    Absolutely. I’d been ordering from them exclusively during Covid under some misguided belief that they were the most reliable. No reason to now.

Smyths is the only retailler i'd ever buy a console from. I'm heading to the store first thing Thursday morning to pick up my 2 orders. Kept in the loop from them from the start, no panicking about delivery, online payment dates, trying to phone customer services etc. They also texted to say they would keep my consoles for nearly 2 weeks in-store if i couldn't pick them up due to covid. No other retailler here would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hate to burst your bubble but an 11 year old doesn't believe in Santa. My niece pretended she did for months because she was afraid that if she said she didn't believe she wouldn't get presents.

Now if your child is home schooled on a permanent basis then maybe but there is always some sh*t in school who gathers everyone around and says "You won't guess what I heard"

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Looks like I've been charged twice by GameStop! One payment gone and one 'pending' with the money taken from my card. Paid through PayPal.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Smyths and Argos are always €5-10 cheaper. The €5 pre-order discount in Smyth's is good for games I know I'm getting on day one. Don't know why people shop in GameStop.

I shop at GameStop because of the usually good trade-in deals and the loyalty membership deals you get on top of your trades and purchases.
    I know the majority here hate GS and yet some still shop with them. Yes they are one of the more expensive retailers game wise.

They've never let me down on any console pre-orders up to date.
    The only exception this time round why my pre-order online might be late, would be because of postal delays and the pandemic.
    Other than those current circumstances they usually have my pre-orders delivered to me, a day before release.
    Also I added earlier GS will be using UPS as well as An Post for their PS5 pre-orders, this time round.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The courier is definitely opening it tonight to play the bollox off it.

Some serious horror stories in the US from people who had theirs shipped by FedEx.

I'd say DPD have started picking them up is all.

Doubt it will be here early.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Berty wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble but an 11 year old doesn't believe in Santa. My niece pretended she did for months because she was afraid that if she said she didn't believe she wouldn't get presents.

Now if your child is home schooled on a permanent basis then maybe but there is always some sh*t in school who gathers everyone around and says "You won't guess what I heard"

I have a cousin who's 14 and wholeheartedly believes in Santa to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Some serious horror stories in the US from people who had theirs shipped by FedEx.

I'd say DPD have started picking them up is all.

Doubt it will be here early.

No change on my side unfortunately. Mine will only be collected tomorrow I reckon and delivered for launch. Suits me as long as I get it Thursday

Wonder if you work in Smyths or GS would you even get one early?

Would the managers allow that carry on? Would they take one for themselves end of the night or anything?

Suppose they are used to midnight launches and would be in the store all that day prepping so no real point. But not that the shops are "closed" you reckon anyone has picked one up early...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Wonder if you work in Smyths or GS would you even get one early?

Would the managers allow that carry on? Would they take one for themselves end of the night or anything?

Suppose they are used to midnight launches and would be in the store all that day prepping so no real point. But not that the shops are "closed" you reckon anyone has picked one up early...
    I would imagine they be able to perorder one before the public.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, when there’s now barely 24 hours until release day, the ‘early’ part of ‘getting it early’ has fairly diminishing returns at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone with a Currys pre-order hear anything from Currys? Radio silence since putting down the 5 euro deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

matt360 wrote: »
    Looks like I've been charged twice by GameStop! One payment gone and one 'pending' with the money taken from my card. Paid through PayPal.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Pending one will likely drop off seven days after it was placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In GameStops defence, they've handled in-store game preorders really well.

I only ever use GameStop for trade ins as their value is second to none when offers are on.

Can't speak to the console orders but they've surprised me with in-store game orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Speaking of the devil, they finally emailed me tonight with the coupon code for my controller.

In fairness they were grand for the ps3/4 launch and would have been fine for this but for Covid.

I'm all digital now except when buying games that don't get good psn deals but in that case I order off CEX.

rob808 wrote: »
    I would imagine they be able to perorder one before the public.

Or else they just pre ordered months ago or even a year ago when the public could pre order but nobody was arsed.

Advertisement