Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Teaching Gaeilge

Options
  • 05-10-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi I'm a 2nd year BA student studying Irish and French. At the moment I am concerned around wheather or not Irish will remain a compulsory subject or not into the future. The new junior cycle exam is very hard and some teachers are claiming that this is done to justify making Irish optional in the future. There is also the NCCA report on senior cycle which has mixed views over wheather Irish should be a core subject. I saw on Tuairisc.ie that the new exemptions system done by the Department of Education that there has been a 27% increase in exemptions for Irish. With this new government and the new education minister Norma Foley do they believe in retaining Irish as a core subject for the new senior cycle? Can anyone give me assuarances that Irish will remain a core subject into the future and that the curriculum at junior cycle and senior cycle will improve and place more of an emphasis on the oral rather than literature? Go raibh maith agaibh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tiktoktoegirl

I can only pray it stops being compulsory, annoying that I was flying through every other subject when I put in the work except Irish for JC!! Had to study 200008828338x harder for it than any other subject, ended up getting not the best I could in my other subjects too because I had no time to study those thanks to compulsory Irish. Now for LC I have to drop to OL and take an eighth subject outside school as a backup for my only 6 HL ones. It serves no use to me now or later on in life. A complete waste of time ://

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

That's only true if you're not Irish or in Ireland.

OP, leave aside whether or not it's going to be compulsory or not. We need people passionate about the language, and if that's you, plough on. Plenty of teachers teach option subjects. There'll be few that will have as much uptake as Irish would have if it was optional, at least in the short term.
    It will continue to be at risk, sadly, until they start insisting on competent primary school teachers, and until being proud of being Irish isn't unfashionable anymore, but we still need people who appreciate the language in the mean time.

Advertisement