Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 3 National restrictions - Your Q & A's megathread

Options

Comments

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is it the hotels responsibility to ask every guest which county they travelled from? Surely that's on the individual. What if the guests lie? There is no way to "prove" it.

The hotel has to ensure capacity is limited per restrictions and that is 100% their responsibility.

Traveling from another county to attend the wedding is a breach of restrictions, but (IMO) it doesn't fall to the hotel themselves to enforce.

Precisely.

Can hardly expect a hotel to seek proof of address upon guest's arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

deniseedoo wrote: »
    Is this not a breach of restrictions? I know I'm free not to attend and I probably won't, but it is concerning that a hotel is willingly letting a group from at least 6 different counties gather for a whole day.

Your concern is not for the wedding, but that the hotel is letting people from different counties attend?

The couple must have been really hard-up for guests if they invited someone like you to their wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any clarity on Hotel Bars? Seemingly residents can be served. But does the hotel bar carry the same restrictions as any other bar? Meaning an outside area for dining/drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Your concern is not for the wedding, but that the hotel is letting people from different counties attend?

The couple must have been really hard-up for guests if they invited someone like you to their wedding!

Don’t think the OP has any concerns, has said a few times they are asking out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Don’t think the OP has any concerns, has said a few times they are asking out of curiosity.

He literally said it's concerning...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

No food at this wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The rules are not being made for the entertainment of the government, they are a serious attempt to restrict the spread of the disease. With the level of ignorant, self-centred, stupid responses on show here they are at nothing.

Its almost a pity that it can't be relied on that the people willing to break the rules are the ones to fall sick, with the long term consequences of a viral illness, or death as a result. Sadly it is as likely to be some young one waiting on tables at the wedding, who can't afford to refuse to work, who will end up sick. But that's ok, so long as we don't tell on other people, and show how independent/macho we are by refusing to cooperate.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    it is concerning that a hotel is willingly letting a group from at least 6 different counties gather for a whole day.

I don't think the poster is genuine now that I see it's a new reg

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Yes, hotel is in breach 100%

How? Has the hotel travelled? No. It hasn't.

The guests stress in breach but then they are only breaching health recommendations, not legal requirements so they can if they want to.

My doctor tells me to eat more veg and less red meat, I still don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in breach of what exactly?

There is advice not to cross county boundaries (which btw were randomly created lines on the map by the english 100s of years ago when carving up Ireland as presents for soldiers and suporters) , its not a law.

You are allowed to cross county bounds (by the non legally binding advice) for essential travel -which is not defined
    Some define it as visiting relatives (which for many of us who havent seen our parents since last christmas, is getting more necessary by the day) but travelling to be at a one in a lifetime family occassion is not really a frivolous occassion that you can postpone till another time so to many thats very essential travel.

If the only people who are travelling around the country are visiting eldery relatives or attending the miniscule amount of weddings happening nowadays, then the aim of the directive still has its full effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Technically it's breaking the restrictions, but I don't think it's up to the hotel to police this.

It's bloody hard for couples though, especially with changes happening at the last minute. They've probably gone from having a guestlist of 50 down to 25 within a matter of days. And now they're worrying about where all their guests live and if they can actually travel a few miles across the county border to attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deniseedoo

MrStuffins wrote: »

I'm disappointed for them but yeah, my ultimate concern is for the health of my family and if I can avoid attending an event where there is a higher risk of getting the virus. , I'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

Seems to me the hotel needs to ensure the numbers are within the limit of 25. It is up to each guest to decide if they should travel outside their county. It's the guests who would be ignoring the advice, not the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I'm disappointed for them but yeah, my ultimate concern is for the health of my family and if I can avoid attending an event where there is a higher risk of getting the virus. , I'll do it.

Why is there a higher risk, are there some crazies going? Otherwise it's paranoia based on arbitrary rule. You think county boundaries stop a virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

looksee wrote: »
    The rules are not being made for the entertainment of the government, they are a serious attempt to restrict the spread of the disease. With the level of ignorant, self-centred, stupid responses on show here they are at nothing.

Its almost a pity that it can't be relied on that the people willing to break the rules are the ones to fall sick, with the long term consequences of a viral illness, or death as a result. Sadly it is as likely to be some young one waiting on tables at the wedding, who can't afford to refuse to work, who will end up sick. But that's ok, so long as we don't tell on other people, and show how independent/macho we are by refusing to cooperate.

Technically, the rules are being made because the government have inadequately prepared our health service for a pandemic. That was the advice from NPHET that, based off our current health service and fragile ICU capacity, we need to drastically act to stem the spread. I don't think you can be called ignorant for not 100% acting or relying on the advice of a government that have shown themselves, numerous times, to be quite incompetent over the past 12 weeks.

I'm not sure how a hotel or a couple can be blamed for spreading the virus, just because they're all from Kerry and some of their siblings now live in Dublin and need to travel down for the wedding. This is the same government who pushed travelling & staycations across the country for the past 8 weeks, and launched a tax incentive to spend in restaurants & hotels, of which only started 7 days ago!

It's very easy to avoid attending the event. Just don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If the couple are going to ignore the spirit of the restrictions like that, they could at least temperature check all guests on arrival, everything outside and be strict as hell on the social distancing;

"Ah do you remember our wedding, dearest? What a lovely day"

"It sure was, pity it killed off Great-Aunty Betty and left Cousin Oisin with narcolepsy though..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keenanem

I honestly think this is one of the guidelines that really doesn't make sense
    in all the weddings I've been to none of them have been In the same county to where the bride or groom live.
    My brother is due to get married end of October in Dublin, we are based in Wicklow, so does that mean none of the guests can attend the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

keenanem wrote: »
    I honestly think this is one of the guidelines that really doesn't make sense
    in all the weddings I've been to none of them have been In the same county to where the bride or groom live.
    My brother is due to get married end of October in Dublin, we are based in Wicklow, so does that mean none of the guests can attend the wedding?
    Actually, thats a good point

but weddings are in the same bracket as funerals allowed more attendees than anything else, so that surely is a government signal that they are an essential visit / trip

Numerous hotels are cancelling the bookings of people from outside their county or totally closing up for the duration of level 3 so some hotels are definitely considering it their place to not allow people from other counties stay.

From what I’ve heard of recent weddings once the function room doors close it’s a free for all and no restrictions, social distancing etc so a wedding is a risky thing to be running at the moment imo and a possible cluster creator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

If you are the one crossing the county bounds you are in breach, the hotel is not.

So long as they are hosting the correct number of people for the wedding they have done nothing wrong.

It is not the hotels business.

you are the covid spreading monster here:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bring you're golf bats. That'll surfice

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

All decisions require a proportionate response.

I agree the easiest way to stop the spread of cases is for everyone to lockdown like they did in China for several months, but this wouldn't be a proportionate response.

Considering the infection mortality rate (as well as hospital loading) is so extremely low and impact specific profiles (advanced age, type 2 diabetes, severe respiratory conditions). Then I believe small groups of people should be able to gather in controlled environments for important life events.

I'm meant to get married in 2 weeks - where / when / how / who / how many..... God knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Personally I think for the rules to be effective they need to be backed up by fines, at this stage it has been publicised soo much on TV/Radio etc. that they are advice only and do not need to be adhered to. Fines would give the rules some teeth and might influence the people who currently don't follow the advice and carry on in Level 3 like it were Level 1. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

But they won't turn away guests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Some perspective on governments grá of the arbitrary county borders.

A hotel in Mitchelstown can host people from 2.5 hours away in Crookhaven, but those 5 mins away over the Limerick/ Tipp borders can forget about it. Countrywide is level 3. It's not like someone is coming from level 4 to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Amazing people can't differentiate between the law and guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For gods sake, this is not something to be smart and rules lawyering about!

I have to cross a county boundary to get to my nearest shop 15 minutes away, otherwise I have 45 minute drive to anywhere else. I go to the shop, with all suitable precautions. That is reasonable common sense and I doubt anyone would make anything of it.

It has nothing to do with politics or how you feel about the government or how disgruntled you are about not going to the pub. Everyone needs to be looking at the spirit of the regulations and accepting that it is not possible to make absolute rules for every single event, or even enforce everything all of the time. It does need people to try and abide by the spirit of the regulations, accept, sadly that some events have to be adjusted or cancelled, and just bloody get on with it. There are worse things than not going to a wedding. Yes it is disappointing, but that's life sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The restrictions around weddings for level 3 don't make any sense. On the one hand they're saying that they can go ahead with 25 people. But on the other hand, they're saying you can't travel outside of your county to attend a wedding - how many of the 25 people are going to within the same county as the wedding venue?

Either let weddings go ahead or don't. Putting extra restrictions on them that effectively cancels them anyway is just infuriating for couples.

Just one of the many things that hasn't been thought through.

Advertisement