If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for surround sound system

Options
  • 06-10-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I'm a complete beginner to this, but I'm planning on buying a new TV, and I would like a 5.1 surround sound system for it.

My budget is about €800 altogether.

What do I need to buy, and how would it be connected? I'd be primarily watching via the TVs built in apps. 

Ideally, I'd like as easy to use a system as possible. I'll be getting an electrician to wire in the cabling beforehand, so it would also be useful to know what I need to request there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Blisterman wrote: »
    I'm a complete beginner to this, but I'm planning on buying a new TV, and I would like a 5.1 surround sound system for it.

What do I need to buy, and how would it be connected? I'd be primarily watching via the TVs built in apps. 

Ideally, I'd like as easy to use a system as possible. I'll be getting an electrician to wire in the cabling beforehand, so it would also be useful to know what I need to request there.
    I should add, that at the moment, I'm looking at this TV.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203982-sony-bravia-kd65xg8505bu-65-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

I should add, that at the moment, I'm looking at this TV.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203982-sony-bravia-kd65xg8505bu-65-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx
    Hi Blisterman.

Thanks for the post.

The link supplied above is for a TV at 1049 Euro but you say you only have 800 Euro for the TV and 5.1 setup? Or is the 800 Euro for hte 5.1 system and the TV has its own budget?

Starting point for an A/V receiver with 5.1 speaker pack would be the Yamaha YHT1840 priced at 399 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202921-yamaha-yht1840-5-1-package-system-inc-speakers-excluding-dvd-player.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

Hi Kenny,
    Sorry, I should have specified. It's 800 euro for the speakers and whatever else I need for the surround sound.

Hi Kenny,
    Sorry, I should have specified. It's 800 euro for the speakers and whatever else I need for the surround sound.
    Hey Blisterman.

For a 5.1 setup you would need both an A/V receiver and the 5.1 speaker pack.

Denon AVRX550BT along with the Wharfedale DX2 5.1 for just 649 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13475-denon-avrx550-wharfedale-dx2-5-1-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

Or if you went all out you could check out the Denon AVRX2700 paired with the Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 for 999 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14201-denon-avrx2700-monitor-audio-mass-ii-5-1-black-speaker-bundle-av-receiver-with-5-1-sat-sub-speaker-package.aspx

You would also require speaker cable for connecting it up:
    Symphony 100 priced at 1.39 Euro per meter
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-900187-cambridge-audio-symphony-100-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

Sublink for connecting the sub to the amp, priced at 27.99 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10538-cambridge-audio-aud100-7-5m-subwoofer-cable-subwoofer-lead.aspx

The Sony TV that you mentioned above is very good TV but I fear I might not be able to secure stock due to levels being critical at our main warehouse.
    The XG range is the 2019 models and the NEW XH which are 2020 are now in full swing.

In the 2020 range there is the Sony 65XH8196 priced at 1199 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204632-sony-kd65xh8196bu-65-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Kenny.

Hi Kenny. Thanks for that.
    Is the speaker wire clipped directly into the amp and speakers? As in it doesn't need a plug?
    How would I get the sound from the TV to the speakers? Other systems I've seen in people's houses, only things connected to the TV such as DVD players and Sky boxes can play through the speakers. Not built in TV apps. Like I said I'm a complete beginner.

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny. Thanks for that.
    Is the speaker wire clipped directly into the amp and speakers? As in it doesn't need a plug?
    How would I get the sound from the TV to the speakers? Other systems I've seen in people's houses, only things connected to the TV such as DVD players and Sky boxes can play through the speakers. Not built in TV apps. Like I said I'm a complete beginner.
    Hi Blisterman.

The speaker wire can connect to both the amp and speakers without the use of the plugs.

The TV and the amp have HDMI ARC so you connect one HDMI into the ARC port on the TV and then into the ARC port on the amp. This will then take any audio on the TV and output it via the speaker connected to the amp.

For other sources like DVD players, 4k players, games console etc you would connect their HDMI's into the back of the amp and then you can select which input you are connected too.
    This will then output the audio via the speakers and send the picture to the TV.

Each receiver will come with very comprehensive instructions in their manuals on every aspect of the amp.
    It is always recommended to give the manual a really good ready so you get the idea of how things connect and all the settings as there are tonnes.
    Of course we are always here to answer what ever questions may arise but it is still a good idea to get to know the products you are purchasing.

I hope this explains things :)

Kenny.

Thanks. And just thinking, is it possible on the  Denon AVRX550BT to connect say a record or CD player to play over the speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just to chip in....

If you're having the cabling wired in to the walls, don't skimp on it. It's the only component that will require a plasterer to upgrade down the line! I know the lads on here don't do 'upselling', but it it something to consider.

Thanks. And just thinking, is it possible on the  Denon AVRX550BT to connect say a record or CD player to play over the speakers?
    Hey Blisterman.

You can connect a turntable or CD player to the 550BT as it has the phono connections on the back of it.
    You would though either need a turntable with build in phono stage or a separate one like the Project MM priced at 65 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201010-project-phonobox-mm-mm-phono-pre-amp.aspx

A phono stage is need to boost the sound volume from a turntable or it will be very very low and hard to hear.

Some of the higher spec amps like 2700 mentioned above has a phono stage build it so no need for the external one.

I hope this helps.

Any questions please let me know.

Kenny.

Hi, Does the Wharfedale DX2 5.1 speaker package require a plug socket for the subwoofer, or does it get its power from the amp?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi, Does the Wharfedale DX2 5.1 speaker package require a plug socket for the subwoofer, or does it get its power from the amp?
    Hi Blisterman,

the Sub in the DX2 package is an active Subwoofer and it does need to be plugged into a dedicated power socket.. you also need to connect it via a Subwoofer lead back to the AV Receiver..

Hope that's helpful but keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Do you know, with the Denon AVRX550BT, is it possible to get a DVD/Blu Ray player that will also allow me to play audio CDs easily without having the TV turned on?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Blisterman,

of course - you can use the AVRX550 as a normal amp without it being even connected to a TV.

You can easily switch sources and adjust volume on the front of the VARX550 or via its remote. 

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Great. And do Richer sounds sell a Blu Ray player that would work. Ideally with a display on the front?

Great. And do Richer sounds sell a Blu Ray player that would work. Ideally with a display on the front?
    Hi Blisterman.

We do indeed.

Have a check over the link below and see if any catch your eye.
    There are many to choose form depending on budget.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/c-28-blu-ray.aspx#pgnum=&sort=

Let me know your thoughts once you have had a check over the list.

Kenny.

Thanks. It's hard to tell off the pictures though which ones have a display on the front? Not looking for anything fancy.

Thanks. It's hard to tell off the pictures though which ones have a display on the front? Not looking for anything fancy.
    Hi Blisterman.

I've done some checking and for one with the LCD panel on the front you are starting around the Pana DPUB820 priced at 339 Euro.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203380-panasonic-dpub820-uhd-blu-ray-player.aspx

The entry level ones don't show any display at all on the front.

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.