Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best virtual option

Options
  • 06-10-2020 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I hope everyone is well!!

My missus is a big into the cycling and has mentioned a few times shes seen her favourite vloggers or whatever you call them on youtube using a virtual cycling app.

In short they hop up onto their stationary bike and away they go against others in a race virtually or just a leisurely cycle.

Whats the best option to go for with this? We have a pretty good stationary bike already so is there something we can attach too it to measure the pace and intensity which is connected to an app or do I need to buy her a new bike or? Essentially I would be doing this from scratch and Im a little unsure of the best way to sort it.

Id appreciate any advise on this as I'm really not sure about how to go about it and whats the best option.

Thanks in advance lads.

Kind regards,

Peter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

She's probably talking about zwift.

https://zwift.com/eu

Several different ways you can get going but at a min you'd need a subscription to zwift and if she has a bike already a turbo trainer and a speed/cadence sensor along with the obvious internet connection and a device to run the programme.

Alternatively you could go all out and buy her a wattbike pro which is a dedicated stationary bike but pricey.

Wahoo and other smart trainers make the training more immersive as it varies the resistance giving a life like feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You won't be able to use your existing stationary bike, as mentioned above you will have to invest in a dumb turbo supported by Zwift (less accurate), or a Smart Turbo (very accurate) that measures and transmits power and cadence itself.

Zwift sub is €14.99 a month, if you wife already has a road bike then it can be mounted to a dumb (@€;100) or smart turbo (@€;500).

Smart Turbos - Wahoo Kickr, Tacx Flux and others
    Dumb Turbos - Supported list here

Advertisement