Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Early days. It's only started less than 6 months ago. I can bet, one will can get jailed for denying COVID restrictions in a year time. As for now you can easily be fired and left with no means to support your family if you question decisions of the Junta. it's only first few steps to GULAG are difficult, later it's going to be the norm.

the Junta

the Gulag

mixing up your hyperbole there a bit

what does "denying COVID restrictions" mean? Did you mean to write defying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

acequion wrote: »
    Oh will you do us all a favour and knock yourself out! Your history on this thread proves that you will always take the most obtuse position and never back down even with the facts staring you in the face! Are you a troll?

Restaurants and bars are open all over Europe. Fact.
    Religious services are open all over Europe. Fact
    Cinemas, museums, galleries etc are open all over Europe. Fact.
    All of the above are subject to pandemic restrictions. Fact.
    Several zones around Europe but few to no other entire country are currently undergoing various lockdown conditions. Fact. But those lockdown conditions have not fully shut down businesses so are actually less severe than in Ireland.
    Masking wearing poses no risk to people's livelihoods, has no negative impact on an economy and is an inconvenience rather than a restriction. Fact.

Now compare with Ireland:

All bars and restaurants closed unless serving out doors. Fact,
    All religious services cancelled. Fact.
    All cinemas, museums, galleries closed. Fact.
    Mandatory mask wearing everywhere indoors including schools. Fact.

Now I'll ask a four year old to look at those two lists and see which is harsher. And maybe a 6 year old will see which is more injurious to the economy!

But unfortunately you are not somebody it's possible to have a reasonable debate with!

Your original post asked, which countries have harsher restrictions and how are they harsher. You said you were genuinely curious. I posted quite a number. Fact.

That didn't suit you. You then become contemptuous. The same thing you berated me for previously. Fact.

I don't deny that we are living under harsh restrictions when looked at in the round. I merely pointed out that some individual restrictions are harsher in other countries.

Fact.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

lawred2 wrote: »
    the Junta

the Gulag

Not really hyperbole if it’s happening right in front our eyes .
    2 examples below

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/579147/limerick-doctor-removed-from-role-as-chair-of-shannondoc-after-covid-rally-speech.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/doctor-resigns-from-hospital-group-after-comments-on-draconian-covid-19-curbs-1.4356244%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Penfailed wrote: »
    Your original post asked, which countries have harsher restrictions and how are they harsher. You said you were genuinely curious. I posted quite a number. Fact.

That didn't suit you. You then become contemptuous. The same thing you berated me for previously. Fact.

I don't deny that we are living under harsh restrictions when looked at in the round. I merely pointed out that some individual restrictions are harsher in other countries.

Fact.

You tried to maintain that Ireland has it easier than other countries. I can't be bothered trawling back to get your exact words but that's what it amounts to.

Of course I got cross. "Contemptuous" is a bit of an exaggeration but hey we live in a hysterical country in crisis times :rolleyes: And I got cross because I don't have much patience with people who get deliberately obtuse.

Yes I was curious and actually I found the article you posted very interesting but it didn't show harsher restrictions anywhere when you look at the overall picture. That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Have a nice evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Has the extension of mortgage payent breaks been extended?

Or will 43000 homes be in arrears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

GP to close practice after threat of suspension over anti-mask views,
    A bit like Orwell’s 1984, pretty scary actually

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gp-to-close-practice-after-threat-of-suspension-over-anti-mask-views-1.4375726?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm outside the cinema

Let me innnnn and have something good innnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Early days. It's only started less than 6 months ago. I can bet, one will can get jailed for denying COVID restrictions in a year time. As for now you can easily be fired and left with no means to support your family if you question decisions of the Junta. it's only first few steps to GULAG are difficult, later it's going to be the norm.

Junta
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/junta

Dunno what to say to the rest of your post, so I'll leave it. This thread is something..

Dionaibh wrote: »
    I'm referring to the people you read about in the media who want endless lockdowns.

People acknowledge that COVID-19 is harmful mainly to the elderly and to people with underlying conditions. It's a mild virus for everyone else. And, yes, I know that there have been cases of healthy young people being badly struck down by the virus, but such cases are rare.

The Great Barrington Declaration calls for a balanced approach.

This is exactly it. You can argue but you cannot deny it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Well you didn't get jailed for your alternative point of view yet. So I don't think it's illegal..

Well you do get threatened with suspension by the Medical Council if you happen to be a medic

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dublin-gp-to-close-practice-after-threat-of-suspension-over-anti-mask-views-1.4375726?mode=amp

Junta

Dunno what to say to the rest of your post, so I'll leave it. This thread is something..

Is this thread as exciting as the echo chamber main thread ?

uli84 wrote: »
    Well you do get threatened with suspension by the Medical Council if you happen to be a medic

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/dublin-gp-to-close-practice-after-threat-of-suspension-over-anti-mask-views-1.4375726?mode=amp

Well he closed himself, his decision.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Is this thread as exciting as the echo chamber main thread ?

It's about the same. Another echo chamber.

Dionaibh wrote: »
    An alternative point of view is illegal in modern Ireland.

No, it's not.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

"From Monday there will be no countries on Ireland's Green List"

https://www.thejournal.ie/no-countries-on-ireland-green-list-5227903-Oct2020/

Must be because cases here are lower than everywhere else in Europe... right?!?

acequion wrote: »
    You tried to maintain that Ireland has it easier than other countries. I can't be bothered trawling back to get your exact words but that's what it amounts to.

Of course I got cross. "Contemptuous" is a bit of an exaggeration but hey we live in a hysterical country in crisis times :rolleyes: And I got cross because I don't have much patience with people who get deliberately obtuse.

Yes I was curious and actually I found the article you posted very interesting but it didn't show harsher restrictions anywhere when you look at the overall picture. That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Have a nice evening!

You were looking at the overall restrictions. I was looking at restrictions individually. I was not trying to maintain that Ireland had it easier. Apologies if that's what you took from it. It was not my intention. I hope you also have a nice evening.

Amazing article on why lockdowns are NOT necessary

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/10/01/sweden-has-destroyed-the-case-for-lockdown/

Sweden did not lockdown and they are having no problem with hospital numbers.
    Why would we ????

Junta

Yeah. Kinda like saying that we live in a police state or a banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Its really becoming a despotic regime

• Advertisement

Walking around Mahon Point in Cork. Holy sh*t the place is empty. Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseach-targets-nphet-for-sundays-level-5-leak-expresses-confidence-in-donnelly-as-health-minister-39602060.html

So Holohan made out Nphet didn’t leak...and also pretended to respect the elected Government at the press conference Tuesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

lawred2 wrote: »
    the Junta

the Gulag

Sorry, was writing in a traffic jam created by our brave Garda. I mean that those who against COVID related restrictions will be persecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In 2013 staffers for Governor Chris Christie closed Toll lanes in Fort Lee New Jersey with the aim of intentionally creating gridlock to reflect badly on a political opponent, this resulted in federal prosecution for the staffers and is credited with costing Christie his 2016 presidential campaign.

In 2020 the Irish government has instructed its police force to intentionally block major routes in and out of its capitol city and to intentionally create gridlock that affects tens of thousands of honest hard working people.

Not a ****ing word said about it.

It is an utter disgrace what is happening in this country and unfortunately it remains quite clear that the media are fully complicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yeah. Kinda like saying that we live in a police state or a banana republic.

As things have been developing for the last few months, we won't wait long for a police state.
    And all what you want to know about "banana republic" you can ask Bob Geldof.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

However I do believe in mask wearing / social distancing and general close proximity crowd control.

And I cannot argue with that, I wouldn't deprive anybody of their freedom of choice. I personally stopped using hand sanitizer since last june: I believe our antibodies can deal with 99.9% of the bacteria because they get to fight them on a daily basis. Again this is a personal opinion but if we keep behaving like that, the majority of the population will either end up sick or "addicted" to hand sanitizer.

Just to clarify I am not by any means an anti-vax lunatic

I would absolutely love to protest, but I having witnessed first hand the lunatics on Grafton St on Sat, I quickly realised most of these are not like minded to me.

Can I ask you why you think they are lunatics?
    I wasn't aware of the protest, I only researched their group after the demonstration took place, but they didn't seem to be so distant from reality?

In 2013 staffers for Governor Chris Christie closed Toll lanes in Fort Lee New Jersey with the aim of intentionally creating gridlock to reflect badly on a political opponent, this resulted in federal prosecution for the staffers and is credited with costing Christie his 2016 presidential campaign.

In 2020 the Irish government has instructed its police force to intentionally block major routes in and out of its capitol city and to intentionally create gridlock that affects tens of thousands of honest hard working people.

Not a ****ing word said about it.

It is an utter disgrace what is happening in this country and unfortunately it remains quite clear that the media are fully complicit.

The Irish government haven't instructed the police force to intentionally block major routes or intentionally create gridlock. The routes aren't blocked. You'll get through eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has the extension of mortgage payent breaks been extended?

Or will 43000 homes be in arrears?

As far as I'm aware it's now a matter for the banks themselves on a case by case basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

dalyboy wrote: »
    Amazing article on why lockdowns are NOT necessary

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/10/01/sweden-has-destroyed-the-case-for-lockdown/

Sweden did not lockdown and they are having no problem with hospital numbers.
    Why would we ????

I’m afraid the source of this article might not stand up to the standards and scrutiny of some on this forum. It is not RTÉ after all. ;).

On a more serious note the Swedes had balls to slow down their thinking and look critically at the evidence, and treat this problem with a long term strategy as everyone should. This is quite impressive as they went against the human nature to react first and think later. The Swedes can plan Christmas now or leave it until later. And we are back at the crystal ball to see what Fat Tony and his gang will come up next.

It is interesting to see how much one man can swing an opinion of 40 or so members of nphet. It is a little bit like Bill Gates getting into a pub. With him inside an average net worth per person is million times greater than without him. Seems to me that Fat Tony has a similar effect in nphet. He calls the shots. And if he is wrong, sweet Jesus...

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

darconio wrote: »
    And I cannot argue with that, I wouldn't deprive anybody of their freedom of choice. I personally stopped using hand sanitizer since last june: I believe our antibodies can deal with 99.9% of the bacteria because they get to fight them on a daily basis. Again this is a personal opinion but if we keep behaving like that, the majority of the population will either end up sick or "addicted" to hand sanitizer.

Just to clarify I am not by any means an anti-vax lunatic

Can I ask you why you think they are lunatics?
    I wasn't aware of the protest, I only researched their group after the demonstration took place, but they didn't seem to be so distant from reality?

Lots of “I believe.........”. They seem to know fcuk all, but believe an awful lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement