Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

It’s human nature.

The water protests were successful because it affected everyone through their money. They could see the effect. Immediately. Through their bills.

But with the pension levy, meh. What’s a pension, what’s 0.75%, sure that’s 30 years off. Etc. In fact, I’m certain some people here still don’t even know about it!

Same with this protest today. A significant enough cohort of people who do disagree with the whole lockdown/mask idea are just thinking, ‘what’s another day in a mask, another rule about lockdowns and Garda checkpoints, it doesn’t really affect me as I work from home, I stopped going to the pub years ago, my pay isn’t cut (right now. Immediately. That I can see it) so I’ll just do nothing.

People have said it here already. Put people on the PUP and you’ll see mass disobedience, louder calls for opening up and the focusing on ‘vulnerable’ people etc.

It’s always always money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

3xh wrote: »
    It’s human nature.

The water protests were successful because it affected everyone through their money. They could see the effect. Immediately. Through their bills.

But with the pension levy, meh. What’s a pension, what’s 0.75%, sure that’s 30 years off. Etc. In fact, I’m certain some people here still don’t even know about it!

Same with this protest today. A significant enough cohort of people who do disagree with the whole lockdown/mask idea are just thinking, ‘what’s another day in a mask, another rule about lockdowns and Garda checkpoints, it doesn’t really affect me as I work from home, I stopped going to the pub years ago, my pay isn’t cut (right now. Immediately. That I can see it) so I’ll just do nothing.

People have said it here already. Put people on the PUP and you’ll see mass disobedience, louder calls for opening up and the focusing on ‘vulnerable’ people etc.

It’s always always money.

Thanks.

I would have thought no cinema, no theatre, no football matches, concerts, or really any of the joys that make life worth living, would have bothered people enough to protest against the tyranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Zebra3 wrote: »
    At a loss to how it is a "notable shock" to the economy when you close a lot of it down.

10b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Thousands of anti-mask protesters are in the middle of a stand-off with Gardai as round two of protests that brought Dublin City to a standstill last Saturday take place again today.

More trouble and possible violence was feared for Dublin city this weekend as the repeat 'anti-mask' protest went ahead kicking off at 2pm.

A swarm of far right anti-maskers were met by an army of Gardai outside the Dail as the vexed protesters were halted by the officers when both clashed.

The marchers made their way through the city centre with Irish flags and banners expressing their anger about current health restrictions and rules in the capital.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/protest-dublin-city-coronavirus-lockdown-19083969

Penfailed - is this a sizeable enough protest for you? Or does army of Gardai usually patrol Kildare St?

I happened to coincide with these idiots earlier but there were nowhere near thousands. Maybe 50-100 at most.
    They were vastly outnumbered by Antifa counter protesters who had at least double their numbers.

I happened to coincide with these idiots earlier but there were nowhere near thousands. Maybe 50-100 at most.
    They were vastly outnumbered by Antifa counter protesters who had at least double their numbers.

But why are they idiots? I don't understand why people trust the government to return their rights and freedoms to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

OP travels abroad once every 3 - 4 years as has posted earlier in like thread IV.

While I've always agreed that travel broadens the mind, I've often found the opposite to be the case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dionaibh wrote: »
    But why are they idiots? I don't understand why people trust the government to return their rights and freedoms to them.

Sorry but I’ll call the national party of Ireland idiots every day of the week.

Antifa are also idiots, they were actually more aggressive and threatening than their enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Isn’t it incredible that we now have Northern Ireland’s numbers thrown in our faces everyday since they rose, not a word about them when they were low. MM even manages to lump their numbers in when he speaks for dramatic effect.

Their deaths are minuscule like ours but of course that doesn’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Lundstram wrote: »
    Isn’t it incredible that we now have Northern Ireland’s numbers thrown in our faces everyday since they rose, not a word about them when they were low. MM even manages to lump their numbers in when he speaks for dramatic effect.

Already wondering what their number will be tomorrow.

Very worrying.

It's rampant up there.

I wouldn't go out for a slice pan if I was up there.

I'd say 1,500 cases tomorrow. Might check Powers for what odds are available.

Yes. While it won't be mandatory life will be made very difficult for those who refuse it.

And rightly so, anti vaxers should be shunned by society.

• Advertisement

We still had tourism, weddings, sporting events, concerts, restaurants, pubs you name it following '08 bad as it was.

We still have large proportions employed and totally unaffected (or doing better) now. We didn’t have that in 08 for the most part. Have you see how much personal savings have grown this year, it has been almost unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Petrol Head_Pilot

I need to travel to Clonmel for work tomorow and Tuesday, I need to be there for 10am and seeing the latest reports I will probably have to leave Dublin at 6am to get there in time!

Does any have any updates of N7 Checkpoint waiting times so I can plan the route?

Before anyone asks I tested negative a few days ago and I have a travel letter from work. I was tested because I am due in Clonmel tomorrow and the contract is for the Local Council via my private employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LAZYIRISH

Why should they be shunned? Can you elaborate on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Thanks.

I would have thought no cinema, no theatre, no football matches, concerts, or really any of the joys that make life worth living, would have bothered people enough to protest against the tyranny.

Again, I think it goes back to the physicality of money.

Closing the cinemas ‘just for 3 weeks’ and then extending it just for a little while longer is harder to fight against than seeing cash being demanded of you in your water bill. It’s a psychological thing.

‘A football game? Sure you can watch that on TV, no one is stopping you from going to the park either.....’ Same thing.

That’s not to say those^^^ facilities of entertainment are worth anything less. It’s just the peculiarities of the human mind.

As I said with the pension levy, no one saw their pension money being taken out. But they saw the water bills, the threats of reducing the water to a trickle for non compliance.

If and when these pensions are drawn down in time and the government physically took a fist of cash out, the pensioner would react then!

I just think it satisfactorily explains the unfortunate low numbers at the protest today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Lundstram wrote: »

We used to laugh at how inaccurate the ni numbers were because their testing was amazingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We used to laugh at how inaccurate the ni numbers were because their testing was amazingly bad.

They used to test the sick I supoose?

Ridiculous, testing the healthy to find positives is how you ramp up hysteria

You should check out the thread on the Great Reset. It could be that mandatory vaccines are the least of our worries.

3xh wrote: »
    Again, I think it goes back to the physicality of money.

Closing the cinemas ‘just for 3 weeks’ and then extending it just for a little while longer is harder to fight against than seeing cash being demanded of you in your water bill. It’s a psychological thing.

‘A football game? Sure you can watch that on TV, no one is stopping you from going to the park either.....’ Same thing.

That’s not to say those^^^ facilities of entertainment are worth anything less. It’s just the peculiarities of the human mind.

As I said with the pension levy, no one saw their pension money being taken out. But they saw the water bills, the threats of reducing the water to a trickle for non compliance.

If and when these pensions are drawn down in time and the government physically took a fist of cash out, the pensioner would react then!

I just think it satisfactorily explains the unfortunate low numbers at the protest today.

Thanks. It's really amazing how much people will put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

level 5 here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Breaking: RTE is receiving reports that George Lee has fainted after hearing today's coronavirus case numbers. Mr. Lee is now recovering and will be able to report live at 9pm and give the nation a positive boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

RobitTV wrote: »
    Breaking: RTE is receiving reports that George Lee has fainted after hearing today's coronavirus case numbers. Mr. Lee is now recovering and will be able to report live at 9pm and give the nation a positive boost.

Christ he's going to packed so full of doom and gloom that he might explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Oh no we don’t agree on this but I’m sure there are things in life that we do agree on, if that comforts you.

Thank you I am relieved now

Apart from within your post, I have never seen the term ‘Death by Covid’ used. I certainly haven’t seen it in any official reporting. ‘Deaths related to COVID-19’ or ‘COVID-19 related deaths’ yes but I think your fantasising otherwise.

Yes sorry my bad, I made that up, every report and every death toll clearly state the real cause of death.

Ah but when they died they had the virus: that must mean only one thing, covid-19 killed them.

Let's lock down the world population

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

darconio wrote: »
    Thank you I am relieved now

Yes sorry my bad, I made that up, every report and every death toll clearly state the real cause of death.

Ah but when they died they had the virus: that must mean only one thing, covid-19 killed them.

Let's lock down the world population

Thing we need to remember this was in the community last feb and jan and we saw what happened.

Need to get it down now before we hit a march again.

Maybe we need a quick referendum on lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Getting sick of it now

Media will be full of doom and gloom, Level 5 is going to happen and think it could start on Monday

Can't look forward to anything cause it will be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Getting sick of it now

Media will be full of doom and gloom, Level 5 is going to happen and think it could start on Monday

Can't look forward to anything cause it will be cancelled

Well level 5 might get us to level 3 for xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Perhaps we could make them wear a bell, or send them all onto an island..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Thing we need to remember this was in the community last feb and jan and we saw what happened.

Need to get it down now before we hit a march again.

Maybe we need a quick referendum on lockdowns

Surely all the people who want lockdown would stay at home??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

"I am very worried"

-Man who has been gravely concerned up to now

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-figures-saturday-5229538-Oct2020/

1) There can’t be a lockdown if banks won’t do payment breaks and PUP payments are decreased.

2) 1000+ positive cases. How many are sick though?

3) Lockdown doesn’t work anyways. It will cost an absolute fortune and the cases will rise again when we come out from under the bed.

Only solution now is to increase ICU as much as possible and accept there may be casualties among the very elderly and/or unhealthy.

We simply can’t afford to go to these lengths anymore to prolong a few lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

"I am very worried"

-Man who has been gravely concerned up to now

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-figures-saturday-5229538-Oct2020/

The median age of today’s cases is 30.

Btw - nobody died? this deadly virus is biding its time....... where are those morons who couldnt stop posting "deaths will catch up" ???

Degenerates posting on the journal comment section lol "can we please enter level 5 now to stop the spread and have a chance at celebrating xmas" idiots.

Seriously, this virus has made me realise just how many idiots are out there. No wonder Leo & co smirk most of the time.... free pass lol. collect 10 tayto packs and Irish public will vote you in :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement