Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

1) There can’t be a lockdown if banks won’t do payment breaks and PUP payments are decreased.

2) 1000+ positive cases. How many are sick though?

3) Lockdown doesn’t work anyways. It will cost an absolute fortune and the cases will rise again when we come out from under the bed.

Only solution now is to increase ICU as much as possible and accept there may be casualties among the very elderly and/or unhealthy.

We simply can’t afford to go to these lengths anymore to prolong a few lives.

How many were really sick before last March happened?

Yes banks need to agree. We can do another lockdown as economy didnt do as bad as we thought. GDP didnt drop as much as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

1) There can’t be a lockdown if banks won’t do payment breaks and PUP payments are decreased.

2) 1000+ positive cases. How many are sick though?

3) Lockdown doesn’t work anyways. It will cost an absolute fortune and the cases will rise again when we come out from under the bed.

Only solution now is to increase ICU as much as possible and accept there may be casualties among the very elderly and/or unhealthy.

We simply can’t afford to go to these lengths anymore to prolong a few lives.

My friends partner works in covid test centre. Says that samples arrive for testing with no identification and barely any description. Description like "John" ... seriously.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Surely all the people who want lockdown would stay at home??

Do it by Freepost, postman can collect them.

Do it in wide open spaces is also an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We can do another lockdown as economy didnt do as bad as we thought. GDP didnt drop as much as expected.

Yea exactly, Lock it all up, retail workers, transport workers, schools/colleges/creche... And everyone works from home apart from healthcare workers...
    The PUP was costing €200 million a week so we can well afford that even if it goes to €600 million a week..
    If we close down the ports both Air and Sea it should have a negligible effect on the export economy which has been inflating Ireland's GDP artificially...

My friends partner works in covid test centre. Says that samples arrive for testing with no identification and barely any description. Description like "John" ... seriously.

I know alot of people who work in the centres and would disagree massively with that.

Names are not on samples for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Looking at Jounal.ie and the comments section is like a lockdown lunatic asylum- what I don’t get it- if all these people who are screaming for a lockdown, then why don’t they immediately just do their own personal ones? I mean if they’re that worried....And if lockdowns are such a success then a large reduction in numbers should follow as a big % of the population will be doing their own lockdowns already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

The median age of today’s cases is 30.

Btw - nobody died? this deadly virus is biding its time....... where are those morons who couldnt stop posting "deaths will catch up" ???

Degenerates posting on the journal comment section lol "can we please enter level 5 now to stop the spread and have a chance at celebrating xmas" idiots.

Seriously, this virus has made me realise just how many idiots are out there. No wonder Leo & co smirk most of the time.... free pass lol. collect 10 tayto packs and Irish public will vote you in :rolleyes:

I can't understand why perfectly healthy people are getting tested. The mind boggles. It'd be like a perfectly healthy guy going to A and E for the purpose of having a chat with a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Last time we went over 1000 in a day, 38 people died, today we had 3 deaths.

Sad an all as that is, we cannot continue to destroy the lives of millions of people for so few deaths.

We need to get real here, stop doing things like there’s a vaccine around the corner and start doing things on the assumption there’ll never be a vaccine.

We are not living we are merely existing, a level 5 lockdown will cause irreversible damage to society as a whole.

Life must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Looking at Jounal.ie and the comments section is like a lockdown lunatic asylum- what I don’t get it- if all these people who are screaming for a lockdown, then why don’t they immediately just do their own personal ones? I mean if they’re that worried....And if lockdowns are such a success then a large reduction in numbers should follow as a big % of the population will be doing their own lockdowns already

They can't really stop showing up for work or school because they're doing their own personal lockdown

Lundstram wrote: »
    Last time we went over 1000 in a day, 38 people died, today we had 3 deaths.

Sad an all as that is, we cannot continue to destroy the lives of millions of people for so few deaths.

We need to get real here, stop doing things like there’s a vaccine around the corner and start doing things on the assumption there’ll never be a vaccine.

We are not living we are merely existing, a level 5 lockdown will cause irreversible damage to society as a whole.

Life must go on.

We don't know where we were in feb as we didnt test then. This is the early stage of it.

• Advertisement

Dionaibh wrote: »
    I can't understand why perfectly healthy people are getting tested. The mind boggles. It'd be like a perfectly healthy guy going to A and E for the purpose of having a chat with a doctor.

Because then that young person might isolate and not pass it on down the chain

I highly recommend

RobitTV wrote: »
    Breaking: RTE is receiving reports that George Lee has fainted after hearing today's coronavirus case numbers. Mr. Lee is now recovering and will be able to report live at 9pm and give the nation a positive boost.

There’s a simple solution to this- just don’t watch Rte. I seem to end up watching at my parents house and will turn on the odd time if there’s someone worth listening to. But it’s a truly woeful propaganda appendage

cian68 wrote: »
    They can't really stop showing up for work or school because they're doing their own personal lockdown

Neither are valid reasons- if you want a lockdown and seriously view it as essential then you either wfh, change jobs or give it up and onto welfare.
    And do home-schooling. If you’re unwilling to try any of these things then it shows you really don’t have sincerely held convictions re lockdowns and should stfu about them

There’s a simple solution to this- just don’t watch Rte. I seem to end up watching at my parents house and will turn on the odd time if there’s someone worth listening to. But it’s a truly woeful propaganda appendage

I completely agree. They are funded by the govt, co incidentally, along with other media outlets so its not surprising that for the past 7 months all we hear is utter rubbish.

I havent heard a single time anyone on RTE mentioned "recovered" cases. You'd think people dont recover listening to those idiots.

I highly recommend

Peter Hitchens (what an articulate brilliant mind) and mike Graham have been my salvation. I’m done listening to lobotomised dimwits like Claire Byrne or Mcinenery one that people se to think is intelligent (I’ve never heard it seen it personally)

I completely agree. They are funded by the govt, co incidentally, along with other media outlets so its not surprising that for the past 7 months all we hear is utter rubbish.

I havent heard a single time anyone on RTE mentioned "recovered" cases. You'd think people dont recover listening to those idiots.

They all got a Covid grant from central govt so since then all have been completely on side without fail.
    I’m sure another round will be due soon

Food for thought

Masks made mandatory
    Millions spent on covid app and employing people to track and trace
    Country in level 3 lockdown
    Majority of office workers effectively told to WFH
    Gardai doing checkpoints discouraging people from travelling

Cases keep rising.

Now, this is either a seasonal illness (that no matter what you do - will occur......) or our measures are not working.

And if our measures arent working - why do we keep doing more of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I would happily do 3 weeks of level 5 if it meant having a normal Christmas but it’s never just the 3 weeks, is it?

They’re forever moving the goalposts and changing the objective of why we’re doing it, last time round it went from flattening the curve to getting down to zero cases.

There were many weeks of less than 5 cases per day during the summer and yet they still wouldn’t entertain the idea of letting the hospitality industry open up.

Hairdressers had to threaten legal action in order to be allowed open up at the end of June instead of in the last phase of reopenings in August.
    They were extremely vague about what we needed to achieve case/death wise to open up more industries, instead they just adding on three week extensions ad nauseam, kicking the can down the road.

It was only meant to be for 3 weeks back in March and it lasted the bones of 6 months.
    Dublin were told 3 weeks to begin with too, and now it’s going to be at least 6 weeks for them. They’ll do exactly the same again because there is no confident leadership in government.
    They’re all paralysed by fear and too concerned with their public images to make the hard decisions, hence the repeated extensions rather than firm decisions.

Holding the public and businesses at ransom like that is unacceptable.
    It’s no way to run a business and it’s no way to live, it’s extremely demoralising and damaging to mental health and we can’t expect hospitality workers to be continuously laid off and rehired with a days notice for the next 9 months, particular when the hospitality industry isn’t responsible for the upsurge in cases and deaths.
    They are being made into scapegoats by our inept government.

These rolling restrictions and lockdowns are hurting those who have already sacrificed the most more than any other group, and they are also among the most financially vulnerable in society.
    Their lives and futures should not be offered up as sacrifice in favour of ‘saving’ one more life from covid.
    No one life is more important than the next and we need to get out of the mindset of stopping all covid cases at all costs.
    The bigger picture needs to be considered here.
    As someone else said, put everyone on €300 a week and see how fast attitudes about how scary and lethal the virus is will change.

Peter Hitchens (what an articulate brilliant mind) and mike Graham have been my salvation. I’m done listening to lobotomised dimwits like Claire Byrne or Mcinenery one that people se to think is intelligent (I’ve never heard it seen it personally)

Yes, Peter Hitchens is a joy to listen to. Jonathan Sumption is well worth listening to as well.

• Advertisement

Food for thought

Masks made mandatory

Cases keep rising.

Now, this is either a seasonal illness (that no matter what you do will occur......) or our measures are not working.

See that’s the thing with endemic respiratory viruses...once they’re active in the human population you might as well go to Tramore beach or Brittas bay and ask the tide not to come in and out. It would be about as useful too...nature and a virus you’ll never beat.
    I think the problem is society in the past 50 years as become addicted to controlling everything and having a cure for everything. So many have completely forgotten we are just mammals living in a natural world with an endless array of things that can take us out

Only reason for Lockdown is to allow the HSE to regroup, reorganise, protect exhausted healthcare workers...

.....We did that from March and all through the summer.... now people want it again?

....The healthcare system isn't overwhelmed... As far as I know Govt/HSE haven't reserved all private ICU beds?
    ....No Covid wards are open in places like Citywest for non-critical cases?

We're far off the requirements for a lockdown and the more people panic and demand one the less resistance the authorities will put up to shutting down the country....

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Only reason for Lockdown is to allow the HSE to regroup, reorganise, protect exhausted healthcare workers...

.....We did that from March and all through the summer.... now people want it again?

....The healthcare system isn't overwhelmed... As far as I know Govt/HSE haven't reserved all private ICU beds?
    ....No Covid wards are open in places like Citywest for non-critical cases?

We're far off the requirements for a lockdown and the more people panic and demand one the less resistance the authorities will put up to shutting down the country....

But when you have a casedemic it means that it never ends. Throw out numbers like 1,000 and 1,500 and you scare people, although I have no idea why grown adults can be so scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

How many were really sick before last March happened?

Yes banks need to agree. We can do another lockdown as economy didnt do as bad as we thought. GDP didnt drop as much as expected.

GDP, ffs!

I’ll give you a clue......

‘Hello, is that the MNCs?’

‘Yes, who’s this?’

‘Hi, it’s Micháel. Can you run a few billion more through Ireland for the next while? Just to prop up the GDP figures for the people to think the economy is doing better than forecast’

‘Fine. We’ll need to discuss reimbursement though’

‘Thanks lads, we owe you. We can’t let people understand our GDP ain’t worth feck and that it’s our GNP that is lower than what we forecasted’

Dionaibh wrote: »
    But when you have a casedemic it means that it never ends. Throw out numbers like 1,000 and 1,500 and you scare people, although I have no idea why grown adults can be so scared.

A media barrage of scare stories? Tony Holoham and his team shouldn't be allowed on air everyday, no more daily figures, weekly reports can be issued through Government and published on their websites, we don't need the constant headlines from the Indo, IT, Journal.ie.... it's driving the fear into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Lot of social misfits and people on government money shouting out for lock down. Journal and Twitter comments are full of brain dead morons that think death was invented in March and cannot understand no matter how long you lock down that COVID will be waiting for you on the street corner when you do eventually leave the house.. Zero COVID or vaccine talk is prime jibberish

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A media barrage of scare stories? Tony Holoham and his team shouldn't be allowed on air everyday, no more daily figures, weekly reports can be issued through Government and published on their websites, we don't need the constant headlines from the Indo, IT, Journal.ie.... it's driving the fear into them.

But, speaking for myself, and I don't mean to be arrogant and suggest that I'm as hard as nails, I can't imagine I'd skip an important hospital appointment (one reads of stories of people missing cancer scans because of being too afraid to go to the hospital) because of a news story or what some guy on RTÉ says about cases. It's amazing how afraid a lot of people are. I don't know what can be done to make them not be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Food for thought

Masks made mandatory

Cases keep rising.

Now, this is either a seasonal illness (that no matter what you do - will occur......) or our measures are not working.

It's either leaking in from the North or the schools and asymptomatic kiddies passing it on Imo.

SNNUS wrote: »
    Lot of social misfits and people on government money shouting out for lock down. Journal and Twitter comments are full of brain dead morons that think death was invented in March and cannot understand no matter how long you lock down that COVID will be waiting for you on the street corner when you do eventually leave the house.. Zero COVID or vaccine talk is prime jibberish

It's the worst possible time to have a pandemic, in the social media age. A worrying development you mention is the refusal to accept death as a part of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Food for thought

Masks made mandatory

Cases keep rising.

Because they cannot be seen doing nothing. And changing strategy dramatically (I.e. applying what has been done in Sweden) would be on par with admitting to a major mistake. That is just not going to happen.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement