Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dionaibh wrote: »
    But, speaking for myself, and I don't mean to be arrogant and suggest that I'm as hard as nails, I can't imagine I'd skip an important hospital appointment (one reads of stories of people missing cancer scans because of being too afraid to go to the hospital) because of a news story or what some guy on RTÉ says about cases. It's amazing how afraid a lot of people are. I don't know what can be done to make them not be afraid.

Any medic who tries to offer a better alternative to the NPHET narrative is either fired or discredited by RTE and other Irish news outlets... What else is there? The protests against lockdown have been hijacked by the far right as you would have seen from today....

A middle path is needed, and people need to demand it from their T.D's

https://twitter.com/davidnabarro/status/1314510020122468353

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are the roads controlled 24/7 by Gardi for people travelling ?? Back roads everywhere

So back to lockdown and all the claps/lighting candles/dancing etc for the health workers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How many were really sick before last March happened?

Yes banks need to agree. We can do another lockdown as economy didnt do as bad as we thought. GDP didnt drop as much as expected.

Actually it has been admitted the domestic economy has suffered severe contraction, you are using the income of multinationals to put a gloss on things. How's the hospitality sector for example. Almost 200,000 employed directly and indirectly in this sector. That represented just under 10% of the workforce up to March.

The government are asleep at the wheel, we need level 5 or higher now, not tomorrow not in two weeks. Schools cannot be allowed to open on Monday it’s madness if they do. We need fines for all breaches and fast and we need the army on the streets to combat these mindless idiots protesting, any force necessary to disperse them.

The back patting anti restrictions minority in here would make your blood boil reading their idiotic posts, denying the reality of this virus, supporting anti -vax and anti mask scum. It’s depressing reading but luckily only a very small minority of the country despite what they think themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Actually it has been admitted the domestic economy has suffered severe contraction, you are using the income of multinationals to put a gloss on things. How's the hospitality sector for example. Almost 200,000 employed directly and indirectly in this sector. That represented just under 10% of the workforce up to March.

People don't have a clue, the boost to the Irish GDP by Pharma exports etc. isn't the true figure of how the real economy is declining...

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/nationalaccounts/quarterlynationalaccounts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

The government are asleep at the wheel, we need level 5 or higher now, not tomorrow not in two weeks. Schools cannot be allowed to open on Monday it’s madness if they do. We need fines for all breaches and fast and we need the army on the streets to combat these mindless idiots protesting, any force necessary to disperse them.

The back patting anti restrictions minority in here would make your blood boil reading their idiotic posts, denying the reality of this virus, supporting anti -vax and anti mask scum. It’s depressing reading but luckily only a very small minority of the country despite what they think themselves.

You sound angry tonight. Maybe you should go down to the beach and shout at the virus for not behaving as per restrictions

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    People don't have a clue, the boost to the Irish GDP by Pharma exports etc. isn't the true figure of how the real economy is declining...

Ah sure look let them off. I believe if you place you head in sand long enough you begin to enjoy the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

A media barrage of scare stories? Tony Holoham and his team shouldn't be allowed on air everyday, no more daily figures, weekly reports can be issued through Government and published on their websites, we don't need the constant headlines from the Indo, IT, Journal.ie.... it's driving the fear into them.

I see Tony is out tweeting his 'concern' tonight. Taking a leaf out of Nolan and Glynn's book of plays.
    He should be made to keep his tweeter shut. He is not running the country, he is just a high paid civil servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Either 60% or 65% of Irelands GDP comes from only 10 different multinational companies.

Staggering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Tredstone

I see Tony is out tweeting his 'concern' tonight. Taking a leaf out of Nolan and Glynn's book of plays.
    He should be made to keep his tweeter shut. He is not running the country, he is just a high paid civil servant.

Freedom of speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Tredstone wrote: »
    Freedom of speech

That only appears to apply if it’s the “right” opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jesus nox, you need a night out.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    91sn32Q

Was there really a need to quote him?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Jesus nox, you need a night out.

Is it really madness to open the schools on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/hugosrest/status/1314907510755688453

I believe a VAT cut is coming in the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What good is a vat cut?

"here's a reduction on stock you're not buying cause you can't open"

Vat, a charge on goods or services sold. A business has to be open to sell goods or services. Mad concept but true.

What will happen with the 26 families that eat at Hugo's?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Tredstone wrote: »
    Freedom of speech

If he wants to tweet about who he wants to win a football match that's freedom of speech.
    As CMO it's unprofessional. You wouldn't get a 'normal' civil servant tweeting their political views and rightly so.
    This is the same as Nolan and Glynn a few weeks ago announcing Level 3 restrictions for Dublin via twitter before the Government had even met about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

13.5% of zero is zero. Big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

If he wants to tweet about who he wants to win a football match that's freedom of speech.
    As CMO it's unprofessional. You wouldn't get a 'normal' civil servant tweeting their political views and rightly so.
    This is the same as Nolan and Glynn a few weeks ago announcing Level 3 restrictions for Dublin via twitter before the Government had even met about it..

Yep. I’d have thought that was obvious to many here. Seems not so.

This whole social media era appears to make celebrities out of anybody. He should really stay off the air talking about Covid stuff like that. All info should come from the elected politicians only.

It’s like an employee saying my (identified) employer needs to do something else to be better. And the customers need to shower more before coming into my company’s business.

They’d be soon fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I think that if there ever was a change in strategy the timing to switch to Swedish method is far from ideal now. It is spring and summer that should have been used to push the virus through the herd. That is not what you want to do in autumn and winter. The best we can hope for is that McDonkey and Fat Tony run out of anecdotal evidence that the current strategy works and turn towards Swedish model. The soonest it may happen is March 2021.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Jaysus. More people died in Road Traffic Accidents in the last 3 months then directly died of Covid and this Drink driving Advocat wants to shut the economy down. Put the car keys down and cut out the Guiness should be his priority. Alcohol itself kills many multiples of what Covid will kill in any year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

So why are you so worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Penfailed - is this a sizeable enough protest for you? Or does army of Gardai usually patrol Kildare St?

I'm flattered that you're asking me but I'm not sure why...?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    You sound angry tonight. Maybe you should go down to the beach and shout at the virus for not behaving as per restrictions

I’ll sit at home and drink beer to try forget reading some of the absolute bile posted in here.

Yes, the default response to protests is "far-right" and "anti-vaxx".

What I don't understand is why there are so few people out protesting. This is the worst interference with liberty in the history of the country.

Were you there? If not, you can't complain about low turnout.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I've been looking at Ireland from afar and wondering why there has been very little pushback.

Ah! Complaining about Ireland from afar. Okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

Penfailed wrote: »
    Ah! Complaining about Ireland from afar. Okay.

Not complaining, but rather surprised that so few people have protested.

• Advertisement

While I've always agreed that travel broadens the mind, I've often found the opposite to be the case too.

Not that I should have to explain myself but I have travelled plenty over the years. I considered it a privilege to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement