Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dionaibh wrote: »
    Hospitals have been overwhelmed in the past and nothing was done.

When? I don't ever recall reports of patients dying because there was no doctor or bed available for them in the hospital when they showed up at A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

MadYaker wrote: »
    When? I don't ever recall reports of patients dying because there was no doctor or bed available for them in the hospital when they showed up at A&E.

Who would you expect those reports from? Irish times? RTE?

Who do you think funds those? :rolleyes:

I would expect it to be widely reported by every media outlet in the country as it would be unprecedented and id probably also hear it from relatives that work in the health service?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Care to elaborate?
    I don't believe, you have been posting all these nonsense free off charge. Are you paid extra for overtime and weekends?

I would expect it to be widely reported by every media outlet in the country as it would be unprecedented and id probably also hear it from relatives that work in the health service?

Well have you heard anything over the last 6 months about the amount of empty hospitals we had in the country, from "every media outlet" and your relatives working in HSE?

• Advertisement

Well have you heard anything over the last 6 months about the amount of empty hospitals we had in the country, from "every media outlet" and your relatives working in HSE?

Yes it was widely reported during lockdown, Tony Holahan even mentioned it at the time. https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-hospital-symptoms-5065098-Apr2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Thierry12 wrote: »
    When you think about it

Surely Government have shills being paid to do this, be it on boards, facebook, twitter, reddit, instagram?

Read that in Poland they are paying influencers handsomely to spread the word.

Nox

Must be making a mint, double jobbing as engineering team lead as well

I actually mentioned on one of the earlier iterations of this thread about a friend of mine who works in public relations for one of the party’s in government at the moment.

I’ve never heard a suggestion that they pay people to post on forums like this, but I can absolutely assure you they monitor what’s being said social media (boards included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Lundstram wrote: »
    Last time we went over 1000 in a day, 38 people died, today we had 3 deaths.

Sad an all as that is, we cannot continue to destroy the lives of millions of people for so few deaths.

We have not destroyed the lives of millions. They only destroyed lives are of those who have died. Inconvenience, is not destruction.

What do people think is going to happen over the next month or so?

If the current trend continues the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed but a full national lockdown is clearly not something the government want to do. We're between a rock and a hard place with no easy option. I think the gov will try and put off the level 5 lockdown for another week or two and then they will decide they have no choice when ICU is full. Or else they'll go back to the private hospitals cap in hand like they did last time around.
    Yes it was widely reported during lockdown, Tony Holahan even mentioned it at the time. https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-hospital-symptoms-5065098-Apr2020/

It seems to me that we have had a lockdown in the past that resulted in tons of empty hospitals as you yourself confirm.

So the choice now is to either carry on and try to salvage whats left of the economy or go into another lockdown only to result with plenty more of empty hospitals.

Based on this - I dont think that another lockdown is a smart idea. At all.

I honestly don't know what the best step forward is here and it's rare that I can't get my head around it enough to give some sort of prediction or opinion on what we should do.

I don't think another full lockdown is an option either to be honest.

• Advertisement

This sort of nonsense conspiracy theory has no place in a serious thread.
    I don't believe, you have been posting all these nonsense free off charge. Are you paid extra for overtime and weekends?

Absolute rubbish of the highest order. I am posting my own opinions which happen to align with the advice of government, health experts and most people in the county. The nonsense is being posted by the open up a F anyone who gets sick or dies brigade. Just look and the total fiction posted in the other post I quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

polesheep wrote: »
    I've noticed a few posters on here who never post at the weekend.

Hahaha! Some people have lives outside Boards.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Hahaha! Some people have lives outside Boards.

Well its not you or me Pen given that we are both posting today ;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I actually mentioned on one of the earlier iterations of this thread about a friend of mine who works in public relations for one of the party’s in government at the moment.

I’ve never heard a suggestion that they pay people to post on forums like this, but I can absolutely assure you they monitor what’s being said social media (boards included).

There are at least 2 very obvious shills on boards-you can spot them by the fact that they agree with literally every single government policy no matter what the issue at hand is, and will keep disrupting a thread with non-sequiturs and ad hominems until the other posters get bored or the thread gets locked.
    I don't think Nox is one but I do think he has a good case against the state for causing him PTSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We have not destroyed the lives of millions. They only destroyed lives are of those who have died. Inconvenience, is not destruction.

Right, yeah, you may be broke, homeless, jobless and have absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel but you're alive.

You can just tell who hasn't had their wage affected can't you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Right, yeah, you may be broke, homeless, jobless and have absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel but you're alive.

Indeed. It amazes me how people can't understand that there's more to life than just merely existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Indeed. It amazes me how people can't understand that there's more to life than just merely existing.

It's interesting to see how people's opinions on what should be done are coloured purely by their own self interest. By and large, we really are a hopelessly selfish species.

I feel desperately sorry for those business owners who have built up their business, run it soundly and are watching it get ripped apart by a freak event that you couldn't have realistically planned for. That's not to mention their staff who have to deal with this pandemic without a wage coming in.

I'm struggling at times to cope with the monotony of life and the hopelessness of the situation. But I've got a very secure job and haven't been hit by the virus. As **** as life is, it could get a whole lot ****ter for me and it has gotten a whole lot of ****ter for a lot of people.

The lack of empathy in some people is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

There in lies the problem really- we are not “in anything together”- so for a very vocal majority their lives and livelihoods are not majorly effected by a lockdown whatsoever- their attitude is (and you can see it here vividly) is that it’s just a minor inconvenience so what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

A view espoused exclusively by those who are alive.

• Advertisement

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    There in lies the problem really- we are not “in anything together”- so for a very vocal majority their lives and livelihoods are not majorly effected by a lockdown whatsoever- their attitude is (and you can see it here vividly) is that it’s just a minor inconvenience so what are you on about?

That's the thing, if we opened everything tomorrow, they could CHOOSE to work from home, have everything delivered, not go the pub, but they want a lockdown that will devestate 100s of thousands.....

Their lack of empathy is a little terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

A view espoused exclusively by those who are alive.
    Breaking News: People die.

Not one person in this country has died from Covid19 alone. They all had serious underlying conditions and/or were extremely old and frail. Median age of death is 88. One person under the age of 25 has died after contracting Covid19, they also had very serious health problems.

Not nice for them or their families but the harsh reality is life has to move on for the other 99.5% of the population.

Meanwhile, lets destroy our economy for decades to come so our Worldometer numbers look good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not one person in this country has died from Covid19 alone. They all had serious underlying conditions and/or were extremely old and frail. Median age of death is 88. One person under the age of 25 has died after contracting Covid19, they also had very serious health problems.

Not nice for them or their families but the harsh reality is life has to move on for the other 99.5% of the population.

Meanwhile, lets destroy our economy for decades to come so our Worldometer numbers look good.

They would have lived longer had they not contracted the illness. Underlying conditions doesn't necessarily constitute life threatening underlying conditions.

I had a great afternoon/evening in (outside) the pub yesterday evening. My local was already at the fifteen capacity so I went to another bar. A couple of fellas were just leaving there which meant we were okay to take a seat. The table service was excellent. No queuing at the bar, no waiting at the bar for the stout to settle, drink and change taken to the table. Hard to beat. There was a large blow heater thing pumping out heat so a jacket wasn't even required. It was enclosed on three sides and under a canopy. The upshot of it is, I couldn't see what difference it made between that and doing the exact same thing inside the place...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I had a great afternoon/evening in (outside) the pub yesterday evening. My local was already at the fifteen capacity so I went to another bar. A couple of fellas were just leaving there which meant we were okay to take a seat. The table service was excellent. No queuing at the bar, no waiting at the bar for the stout to settle, drink and change taken to the table. Hard to beat. There was a large blow heater thing pumping out heat so a jacket wasn't even required. It was enclosed on three sides and under a canopy. The upshot of it is, I couldn't see what difference it made between that and doing the exact same thing inside the place...

One thing I noticed about the canopy system, do you reckon there was 1m distance between tables?

Fair ****s to any pub trying to make this work.....

One thing I noticed about the canopy system, do you reckon there was 1m distance between tables?

Definitely not. Another pub in town has a similar set up that you can see from the main street. It's even more cramped.

Definitely not. Another pub in town has a similar set up that you can see from the main street. It's even more cramped.

I was worried about that. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them....

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

Yes I can’t reconcile that either- anytime I go down town (Kilkenny ir Carlow) they are often mad busy...so, if individuals are “that” worried- why am I not seeing it on the roads or streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Both can be true, it's not one or the other.

We've saved a certain unknown (and unknowable) number of lives, mostly old people.

And we've destroyed the quality of life, mental health and future prospects of many many millions, mostly young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

One group who are benefiting are the medics, with another 300 well paid consultants being hired and €4bn extra being spent on health; and additional €4bn to deal with a “temporary” pandemic. We all know this will go into the annual health budget for eternity.
    These same medics, sitting on NPHET, spouting their crap and showing their complete and utter uselessness by trying to close down the entire economy including the entire health service ex-COVID, close the schools (they will close in level 5), reading numbers off a sheet each evening, and offering no prospect of what their end game is.
    These GPs and medics are completely and utterly useless unless they have a pill to give you; for Covid, they don’t, so we must all stay home and lockdown.
    I never hear the medics talking about the median age of death, the extent of underlying conditions, the number of daily or weekly deaths from other causes, the correlation with obesity. The most interesting discussion I heart in the last 10 days was with professor Moyna of dcu, diet and exercise are crucial, not taking some tablets because the medics are incentivized to push them by the drug companies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement