Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A report in today's Sunday Times that less than 10% of the 110,000 women invited to cervical cancer checks, actually attended in the last 6 months.

The needless deaths that are going to be caused by our response to Covid will dwarf those caused by the virus itself.

The fact this report was opposite a nauseatingly, self-congratulatory half page ad by the fear mongers in chief, RTE, entitled "The Truth Matters", would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

A report in today's Sunday Times that less than 10% of the 110,000 women invited to cervical cancer checks, actually attended in the last 6 months.

The needless deaths that are going to be caused by our response to Covid will dwarf those caused by the virus itself.

So cancer screening was taking place? You wouldn't think so reading this thread.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    So cancer screening was taking place? You wouldn't think so reading this thread.

Over 90,000 women didn't get screened for one of the most common cancers which kill women in Ireland, but at least you got a smart arse reply in.

Good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Those that were , at a reduced level.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cancer-screenings-down-60-on-same-period-in-2019-1.4348775

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Such was the level of fear promoted that 90% of women did not show up for their cervical checks. There is something desperately wrong there.

• Advertisement

The fact this report was opposite a nauseatingly, self-congratulatory half page ad by the fear mongers in chief, RTE, entitled "The Truth Matters", would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
    Link? Pic?

Link? Pic?

Try a newsagents.

Try a newsagents.

Too scared to leave the house

Over 90,000 women didn't get screened for one of the most common cancers which kill women in Ireland, but at least you got a smart arse reply in.

Good lad.

Cheers. You obviously missed my point.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

70 year old retires on large pension opening the way for someone younger to move up the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Jizique wrote: »
    One group who are benefiting are the medics, with another 300 well paid consultants being hired and €4bn extra being spent on health; and additional €4bn to deal with a “temporary” pandemic. We all know this will go into the annual health budget for eternity.
    These same medics, sitting on NPHET, spouting their crap and showing their complete and utter uselessness by trying to close down the entire economy including the entire health service ex-COVID, close the schools (they will close in level 5), reading numbers off a sheet each evening, and offering no prospect of what their end game is.
    These GPs and medics are completely and utterly useless unless they have a pill to give you; for Covid, they don’t, so we must all stay home and lockdown.
    I never hear the medics talking about the median age of death, the extent of underlying conditions, the number of daily or weekly deaths from other causes, the correlation with obesity. The most interesting discussion I heart in the last 10 days was with professor Moyna of dcu, diet and exercise are crucial, not taking some tablets because the medics are incentivized to push them by the drug companies.

Someone needs to look into that. Theres a clear conflict of interests when individuals of NPHET hold shares in pharmaceutical companies.

It is astonishing that in the last 9 months we havent heard vitamins and healthy lifestyle being promoted once. All we heard was Tony yapping on about concerned and then Ro Ro telling us we are all infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I see Irish Independent website is leading with headlines suggesting we need another "short, hard lockdown".

I find it hard to reconcile this with the fact that the WHO is consistently advocating national governments not to go into lockdown, but take the steps necessary to protect those who are most vulnerable.

The government and the HSE had over 7 months to get their house in order. Even mentioning another lockdown is absolutely unacceptable imo. That ship has sailed a long time ago...

I unsubscribed from the Irish Independent when I read the front page headline "Christmas could be canceled". I've worked in media and marketing all my life and the Indo have chased the cash cow and lead with clickbait headlines that draw in their core demo (generally older). They've always been bad but they've gone to new extremes during this virus; Fear mongering, using surface level metrics and then putting their own spin on it.

"600 cases today, Christmas Canceled!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

70 year old retires on large pension opening the way for someone younger to move up the ladder.

That’s right. But before you go, we’ll just discredit you and your legacy simply to protect ourselves here in the HSE.....

The man is right. The HSE couldn’t care to admit that. That’s the takeaway here with this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Watching the tennis from Roland Garros, I assumed this match would be held under lock and key due to France’s Covid numbers. Not so, cubicles and people socially distanced are in attendance. Still well down on a big crowd but if it was here, there would be no-one at it.

Dismissive, childish response tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ah but sure it will only be for two weeks and then we can have Santa. ;-)

PTH2009 wrote: »

I stopped listening to Leo ever since end of August interview where he was surprised wet pubs in Ireland were still closed.

1 thing is for certain, collect 10 tayto packs and get into government. It is probably the most telling that no matter who was in charge, response wouldve been near identical.

I havent posted this in a while, OPEN UP THE DAMN COUNTRY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I havent posted this in a while, OPEN UP THE DAMN COUNTRY

No we can't as it will over run the hospitals like in March/April and May !!!! Oh Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

JRant wrote: »
    We are already in cloud coukoo land if you ask me. A deficit of 21 billion already this year and that's before we get shutdown for the next 6 weeks on Monday. It took the entire celtic tiger to rack up a bill of 60 billion and we could be very well at half that figure after 9 months. If that doesn't scare the shīte out of people then there really is no hope for this place.

So what would you favour. A strategy like Sweden`s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Why does this nation lack critical thinking skills? - Critical thinking is the analysis of facts to form a judgment. The subject is complex, and several different definitions exist, which generally include the rational, skeptical, unbiased analysis, or evaluation of a subject matter.

Since the year 2000, Ireland has been seen as this advanced, modern, wealthy, western society that has changed dramatically. But this simply isn't true, countries that have become or have always been advanced have critical thinking skills amongst the general population.

What do we have? hysteria, fearmongering, panic, shock tactics, doom and gloom, endless negativity.

Germany, Sweden, Denmark the list goes on.....they will not put up with this type of daily hysteria that occurs in Ireland. This nation still has this underlying sense of fearmongering that stretches back centuries and people are still controlled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John45

Just talking to my brother in law who lives in Newry. He says that there was a lot of southern registered cars in Quays Shopping Centre all week. Mask compliance is not as good as the south either.

John45 wrote: »
    Just talking to my brother in law who lives in Newry. He says that there was a lot of southern registered cars in Quays Shopping Centre all week. Mask compliance is not as good as the south either.

I saw few people going to the airport on Friday morning. I was jelly.

Ironically enough, since people are advised not to go to other counties, people take the advice literally and go cross borders to get the hell out of here :D

my Jesus, over in the covid thread they're literally talking about mass vaccines!!!
    AS something you'll need to undertake to prove your immunity, not outrage or disbelief!

I've never held a sandwich board in my life but I'll gladly take the day off work and hold jim corrs hand if this is the new direction of the new normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

RobitTV wrote: »
    Why does this nation lack critical thinking skills? - Critical thinking is the analysis of facts to form a judgment. The subject is complex, and several different definitions exist, which generally include the rational, skeptical, unbiased analysis, or evaluation of a subject manner.

Since the year 2000, Ireland has been seen as this advanced, modern, wealthy, western society that has changed dramatically. But this simply isn't true, countries that have become or have always been advanced have critical thinking skills amongst the general population.

What do we have? hysteria, fearmongering, panic, shock tactics, doom and gloom, endless negativity.

Germany, Sweden, Denmark the list goes on.....they will not put up this type of daily hysteria that occurs in Ireland. This nation still has this underlying sense of fearmongering that stretches back centuries and people are still controlled by it.

I'm reading Plato's Republic at the minute. I'm only early into it, but so far it's essentially a load of men sitting in a room debating the merit of things, in a healthy fashion. I know the conversations themselves are a work of fiction, but I don't doubt that many debates were handled in such a manner back then. I couldn't help but think "there's no way this would happen in modern Ireland, or Europe for that matter". We're going backwards, and many don't even seem to realize it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

rusty cole wrote: »
    my Jesus, over in the covid thread they're literally talking about mass vaccines!!!
    AS something you'll need to undertake to prove your immunity, not outrage or disbelief!

I've never held a sandwich board in my life but I'll gladly take the day off work and hold jim corrs hand if this is the new direction of the new normal!

Very few of them understand that we still need a certain amount of herd immunity even with the vaccine. I don't think people get that if we roll out a vaccine and we want to get back to normal we need to let it rip. Vaccine won't be much use to 89yr olds with multiple underlying conditions, I doubt there even canadites for the vaccine.
    I've a feeling a lot of the pro locdowners think vaccine = cure. I've seen a few of them ask that question.

Flu vaccine for example, it's usually somewhere between 30% and 50% effective. Even if 100% of people take it 50% or greater are still at risk of getting covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Very few of them understand that we still need a certain amount of herd immunity even with the vaccine. I don't think people get that if we roll out a vaccine and we want to get back to normal we need to let it rip. Vaccine won't be much use to 89yr olds with multiple underlying conditions, I doubt there even canadites for the vaccine.
    I've a feeling a lot of the pro locdowners think vaccine = cure. I've seen a few of them ask that question.

Flu vaccine for example, it's usually somewhere between 30% and 50% effective. Even if 100% of people take it 50% or greater are still at risk of getting covid.

This is exactly why I love it when I hear Ireland and N.I have 1000+ cases per day. One step closer to HERD IMMUNITY. (The only logical way out of this mess)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I see Irish Independent website is leading with headlines suggesting we need another "short, hard lockdown".

I find it hard to reconcile this with the fact that the WHO is consistently advocating national governments not to go into lockdown, but take the steps necessary to protect those who are most vulnerable.

The government and the HSE had over 7 months to get their house in order. Even mentioning another lockdown is absolutely unacceptable imo. That ship has sailed a long time ago...

Think so too.

Another thing that occurred to me while 'thinking' that NPHET who are essentially mostly HSE admins always come out with recommendations how the population and businesses need to behave. Wash your hands, keep your distance, no meetings, stay at home, close your shop. But not once have I heard something like '...and HSE must commit to 100 extra hospital beds by 1/12/2020' or similar. Funny that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement