Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

rusty cole wrote: »
    my Jesus, over in the covid thread they're literally talking about mass vaccines!!!
    AS something you'll need to undertake to prove your immunity, not outrage or disbelief!

I've never held a sandwich board in my life but I'll gladly take the day off work and hold jim corrs hand if this is the new direction of the new normal!

I know, I was over there trying to talk some sense but there’s a lot of hysterics over there in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Eight hundred million cases today.

2 deaths.

also approximately 78-81 people died off other causes.

How are we not in level 2? Where are those scenes from Northern Italy? Where is HSE claiming they dont have PPE?

Where are the conservative people with their "we dont know much about the virus"?

Also - has any1 noticed about complete lack of articles related to people who suffer from covid long term? You'd think if this was a thing it would be up there with most reported articles.... but alas, only articles published are the ones where Tony is very worried and Leo flip flopping for 981st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Think so too.

Another thing that occurred to me while 'thinking' that NPHET who are essentially mostly HSE admins always come out with recommendations how the population and businesses need to behave. Wash your hands, keep your distance, no meetings, stay at home, close your shop. But not once have I heard something like '...and HSE must commit to 100 extra hospital beds by 1/12/2020' or similar. Funny that.

We can create all the beds we like but they are useless without staff to look after the people in them. You can't magic up a load of new doctors and nurses in 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Flu vaccine for example, it's usually somewhere between 30% and 50% effective. Even if 100% of people take it 50% or greater are still at risk of getting covid.

The Flu is a terrible vaccine comparison, Flu mutates a lot and has multiple strains, the same has not been true of Covid-19 to date. Take something like the Rubella vaccine which is 97% effective, a Covid-19 vaccine will be closer to a Rubella vaccine than the Flu vaccine.

Eight hundred million cases today.

2 deaths.

also approximately 78-81 people died off other causes.

How are we not in level 2? Where are those scenes from Northern Italy? Where is HSE claiming they dont have PPE?

:eek::eek: Wow! That's a big jump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Flu is a terrible vaccine comparison, Flu mutates a lot and has multiple strains, the same has not been true of Covid-19 to date. Take something like the Rubella vaccine which is 97% effective, a Covid-19 vaccine will be closer to a Rubella vaccine than the Flu vaccine.

Covid has had a clear run no need to mutate much, wait until we start trying to kill it. I don't think a vaccine for this so quickly will be 97% effective, I open to being wrong hopefully.

Covid has had a clear run no need to mutate much, wait until we start trying to kill it. I don't think a vaccine for this so quickly will be 97% effective, I open to being wrong hopefully.

Every year the medical community effectively try and guess which of 3 flu strains to vaccinate against, and they get it wrong almost as often as they get it right, that is why the Flu vaccine is seen as relatively ineffective. If they pick the wrong strain to vaccinate against the vaccine does nothing.

'Rapidly increasing growth rates across the country' - 814 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed and two further deaths

Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said; “It is vital that the entire population consistently implement public health advice into their daily lives; keep your social contacts to an absolute minimum and keep physical distance when you need to be out of your home.

“22 out of 26 counties have 7 day incidence rates as a percentage of 14 day incidence rates above 50pc. This shows rapidly increasing growth rates across the country.”

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rapidly-increasing-growth-rates-across-the-country-814-new-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-and-two-further-deaths-39610582.html

Tony come back is not having the desired effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In addition to what is already provided in the daily press conference, it’d be more meaningful the following was also reported:

Testing
    * No. Of tests carried out vs current capacity
    * Average time turnaround of test results from original point of contact
    * average test time turnaround in EU

Contact Tracing
    * Average no. Of contacts per case
    * average time lapse between case and notifying close contact

The former would help keep the gov to account and the latter would help keep the public informed that keep contacts minimal slows the spread.

Of daily isn’t possible a weekly report should be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Dismissive, childish response tbh.

I was looking at the positive aspect. Too much negativity in this thread.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Jesus, another day with 150,000 + sitting at home with no end in sight because of "new cases".

Mehole compromised at level 3 will turn out to be as dumb of a decision as Leo's announcement of 2 week lockdown extension back on 1st of May.

Absolute idiots.

Watch from 10:30 and 12:10 ....

Where are those scenes from Northern Italy?

Not sure at what time you jumped into the covid threads but there was a few of us watching what was happening in China and it looked crazy, mass holes to bury bodies, kids dying on hospital floors, state workers burning cash, people dying randomly in the street with blood pouring out of them, people getting welded into their homes.
    Looking back we were taken for suckers by China, I now believe most of the media coming out of China was faked, there back to pool Party's and face masks are optional no mandate or threat of jail for popping into centra.

I think what happened in Italy has the same effect on the Government, if they had of been paying attention to what was happening in China they would have got a lot more frightened a lot quicker and our charts might actually start at a correct time rather than this hypothetical situation they present to us every day that the virus appeared on a Saturday afternoon and had over 1000 dead in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Very few of them understand that we still need a certain amount of herd immunity even with the vaccine. I don't think people get that if we roll out a vaccine and we want to get back to normal we need to let it rip. Vaccine won't be much use to 89yr olds with multiple underlying conditions, I doubt there even canadites for the vaccine.
    I've a feeling a lot of the pro locdowners think vaccine = cure. I've seen a few of them ask that question.

Flu vaccine for example, it's usually somewhere between 30% and 50% effective. Even if 100% of people take it 50% or greater are still at risk of getting covid.

You really do not know how vaccines or herd immunity works do you ?

Jesus, another day with 150,000 + sitting at home with no end in sight because of "new cases".

Mehole compromised at level 3 will turn out to be as dumb of a decision as Leo's announcement of 2 week lockdown extension back on 1st of May.

He has a Chemical Engineering degree and works as a dietician, how on earth are we supposed to pay attention to him when he is completely unqualified to speak about Covid?

Inquitus wrote: »
    He has a Chemical Engineering degree and works as a dietician, how on earth are we supposed to pay attention to him when he is completely unqualified to speak about Covid?

Are you one of the 150,000+?

dalyboy wrote: »
    This is exactly why I love it when I hear Ireland and N.I have 1000+ cases per day. One step closer to HERD IMMUNITY. (The only logical way out of this mess)

Can you give a single example of where HERD IMMUNITY has been achieved or even close to being achieved ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Absolute idiots.

No disrespect to you, Ivor Cummins video is a mix between being selective with his data and talking absolute bollsocks

No, but I am not going to listen to someone who is completely unqualified to speak about Covid-19, as this gentleman is, no more than I would listen to Trump.

faceman wrote: »
    No disrespect to you, Ivor Cummins video is a mix between being selective with his data and talking absolute bollsocks

No disrespect taken.

Ivor has plotted number of cases and number of deaths in Ireland with covid on a graph from March to October.

I am not really sure what bolloxology going on there. Were his numbers on that graph wrong?

If you mean those that follow him, I know of one.
    Dr Dominic Pimenta a cardiology registrar who has been fact checking his nonsence who he keeps running away from.

The Kardashians have more followers. Based on your argument would you take recommendations on health matters from them ?

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    If you mean those that follow him, I know of one.
    Dr Dominic Pimenta a cardiology registrar who has been fact checking his nonsence who he keeps running away from.

The Kardashians have more followers. Based on your argument would you take recommendations on health matters from them ?

Charlie I have abandoned you on the Swedish thread, my apologies.

So you came here looking for me :)

No, what I asked was whether OP is one of the 150,000 that has been put on PUP last week. He said he is not. He also said he is not impressed with chemical engineer who works a dietitian putting Ireland's number of cases and deaths with covid from March to Oct on a graph.

That chemical engineer is not qualified to do that. I dont know what qualification is needed to do that, I suppose OP can clarify.

charlie14 wrote: »
    You really do not know how vaccines or herd immunity works do you ?

Care to enlighten me, where's the road back to normal with a vaccine.

Charlie I have abandoned you on the Swedish thread, my apologies.

So you came here looking for me :)

No, what I asked was whether OP is one of the 150,000 that has been put on PUP last week. He said he is not. He also said he is not impressed with chemical engineer who works a dietitian putting Ireland's number of cases and deaths with covid from March to Oct on a graph.

That chemical engineer is not qualified to do that. I dont know what qualification is needed to do that, I suppose OP can clarify.

Did the chemical engineer use crayons do you know.
    Just on those PUP nimbers and your mention of Sweden, did you ever find out the numbers on furlough there that Bloomberg claimed meant the real numbers of unemployed there was 17% ?

Care to enlighten me, where's the road back to normal with a vaccine.

If you understand what herd immunity equates to it is quite simple.

To achieve herd immunity you need a percentage generally of 60-70% immune, thus providing a shield for those that have no immunity.
    Attempting acquired herd immunity you are doing so by risking the lives of those who are unable to become immune for a multitude of reasons.
    If you can achieve herd immunity through vaccination, you provide the same shield without risking those that are unable for whatever reason to acquire immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Video from the Spanish opposition calling for a national mobilisation tomorrow at 12pm across the entire nation

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I feel that Ivor Cummins deserves aa thread of his own as he is becoming quite a prolific commentator on the pandemic and associated data. His views are not in line with government or media consensus.

As a lay person with no medical expertise I like you all have been bombarded by science, pseudo science, mainstream media hysteria and social media tit for tats. It is hard to see the wood for the trees at this stage.

Then I came across this Ivor Cummins chap on youtube who coincidentally comes from our own shores.

I find his analysis quite compelling and nod along to most of his statements. My general opinion and feeling on the pandemic is matched by his analysis and reportage. Have I been fooled? Is he just selling me what I want to hear to garner lots of youtube clicks?

What am I missing? Is he a con man ? Why are NPHET , the government and main stream media not reporting/analysing the data in the same way as his hypotheses?

Are there more educated posters here who can debunk his contentions or give me an example of why this guy is a chancer/shill to be ignored going forward?

His latest video here for reference: https://youtu.be/gJq8MBgYJ4Q

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This time last week the panic started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    I feel that Ivor Cummins deserves aa thread of his own as he is becoming quite a prolific commentator on the pandemic and associated data. His views are not in line with government or media consensus.

As a lay person with no medical expertise I like you all have been bombarded by science, pseudo science, mainstream media hysteria and social media tit for tats. It is hard to see the wood for the trees at this stage.

Then I came across this Ivor Cummins chap on youtube who coincidentally comes from our own shores.

I find his analysis quite compelling and nod along to most of his statements. My general opinion and feeling on the pandemic is matched by his analysis and reportage. Have I been fooled? Is he just selling me what I want to hear to garner lots of youtube clicks?

What am I missing? Is he a con man ? Why are NPHET , the government and main stream media not reporting/analysing the data in the same way as his hypotheses?

Are there more educated posters here who can debunk his contentions or give me an example of why this guy is a chancer/shill to be ignored going forward?

His latest video here for reference: https://youtu.be/gJq8MBgYJ4Q

I've watched a few of Ivor Cummins' videos and he goes into detail as to why this is a casedemic. I too could be interested to hear people's thoughts on what he's been saying.

Not sure at what time you jumped into the covid threads but there was a few of us watching what was happening in China and it looked crazy, mass holes to bury bodies, kids dying on hospital floors, state workers burning cash, people dying randomly in the street with blood pouring out of them, people getting welded into their homes.
    Looking back we were taken for suckers by China, I now believe most of the media coming out of China was faked, there back to pool Party's and face masks are optional no mandate or threat of jail for popping into centra.

I think what happened in Italy has the same effect on the Government, if they had of been paying attention to what was happening in China they would have got a lot more frightened a lot quicker and our charts might actually start at a correct time rather than this hypothetical situation they present to us every day that the virus appeared on a Saturday afternoon and had over 1000 dead in a couple of weeks.

I’m not even sure the conspiracy theories fourm would welcome this level of nonsensical fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This time last week the panic started

Is it March 21st today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement