Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Mind boggling stupidity.

No its not what I said nor is your post accurate I have lived out of home for periods of time since my mid 20's including at the moment.

Living in a house share and going home to mammy with your washing is not living independently....

Did the wife put the foot down when you picked mammy over her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Mind boggling stupidity.

No its not what I said nor is your post accurate I have lived out of home for periods of time since my mid 20's including at the moment.

Love Nox or hate him - he is the soul of this thread.

I remember a classic quote from him, "asking children to learn remotely isnt a big deal, its nothing like they are brought to the woods to fight wolves like in ancient Sparta"

In the meantime, 10,000 + go on PUP

Number on pandemic unemployment payment increases by 23,265
    Extension of Level 3 Covid-19 restrictions last week saw total number grow to 228,858

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-on-pandemic-unemployment-payment-increases-by-23-265-1.4378588

Absolute disgraceful carry on. We didnt even need lack of covid knowledge, PPE or scenes from Italy to start putting thousands out of work this time. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

dalyboy wrote: »
    Sorry but look up the answers to your filibuster style questions yourself.

A five year old could tell which model makes more sense between ours and Sweden’s

Presuming you are over 5 then that should be no problem to you.

If it is then you are either under 5, or your assumptions on Sweden are (and you are not alone here on this), from your anti anything that impinges on your own selfishness, you have jumped on Sweden as a utopia strategy for dealing with this epidemic without the slightest clue as to what you are talking about.

GARDAÍ IN ROSCOMMON have launched an investigation after it was alleged a GAA team held a dinner for up to 50 people following a challenge match over the weekend.

The investigation concerns an event in the town of Boyle following a match between Roscommon and Donegal.

Officers received a number of calls from concerned locals who informed them that the gathering was taking place, the Irish Daily Mail reporting this morning.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-allegations-roscommon-gaa-5230577-Oct2020/

Nox did you make calls? :pac:

Okay, so we have protesters, we have the open up brigade (I am a proud member), we have GAA teams and their fans, we have Sweden, who else do we hate that dont follow lockdown religion? Ohhh yeah golf gate attendees, youth, jaysus at this rate half of country will seem non compliant.

I remember a classic quote from him, "asking children to learn remotely isnt a big deal, its nothing like they are brought to the woods to fight wolves like in ancient Sparta"

Extension of Level 3 Covid-19 restrictions last week saw total number grow to 228,858

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-on-pandemic-unemployment-payment-increases-by-23-265-1.4378588

Absolute disgraceful carry on. We didnt even need lack of covid knowledge, PPE or scenes from Italy to start putting thousands out of work this time. :mad:

I remember you making comparisons to Ireland`s unemployment figures being so much worse than Sweden`s at one stage due to Sweden`s "superior" strategy.
    When I pointed out to you that when Sweden`s furlough figures were included their level of unemployment was no better (worse actually), but you contested that.

I have asked you many time what you believed that furlough figure was. Sadly as yet no response.
    In light of your present post, perhaps you might give it a try now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

What is wrong with protesting from a vehicle Nox? does the 'deadly virus' now have the ability of spreading through car windows?

Most of the people protesting today are wearing masks too.

Article 21 of the Spanish Constitution recognises the right of peaceful assembly. In line with the European Court of Human Rights.

GARDAÍ IN ROSCOMMON have launched an investigation after it was alleged a GAA team held a dinner for up to 50 people following a challenge match over the weekend.

The investigation concerns an event in the town of Boyle following a match between Roscommon and Donegal.

Officers received a number of calls from concerned locals who informed them that the gathering was taking place, the Irish Daily Mail reporting this morning.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-allegations-roscommon-gaa-5230577-Oct2020/

Nox did you make calls? :pac:

Okay, so we have protesters, we have the open up brigade (I am a proud member), we have GAA teams and their fans, we have Sweden, who else do we hate that dont follow lockdown religion? Ohhh yeah golf gate attendees, youth, jaysus at this rate half of country will seem non compliant.

Two GAA teams where all had to test negative before being allowed to intermix in a physical contest for up to two hours then sat down and had a meal together.
    SHOCK HORROR

Edit: From those that thanked this post I can only assume that some if not all have a very poor understanding of irony

charlie14 wrote: »
    WE could name check until the cows come home on the theoretical and it would still prove nothing.

So for today`s lesson would it not be more practical and enlightening to examine an actual case study where we have a lot of verifiable evidence on both the strategy and the people behind it.
    Your stated your utopia as to the righteousness of your belief is Sweden, so why do we not start there.
    1.Who devised the Swedish strategy and what were their stated aims.
    2. What have been the benefits/costs of this strategy when compared to the stated aims.
    3. Have the stated aims been achieved.
    Quite simple points that if your are correct that you should have no problem answering.

No time limit. Take as long as you need
    Presuming you are over 5 then that should be no problem to you.

If it is then you are either under 5, or your assumptions on Sweden are (and you are not alone here on this), from your anti anything that impinges on your own selfishness, you have jumped on Sweden as a utopia strategy for dealing with this epidemic without the slightest clue as to what you are talking about.
    I remember you making comparisons to Ireland`s unemployment figures being so much worse than Sweden`s at one stage due to Sweden`s "superior" strategy.
    When I pointed out to you that when Sweden`s furlough figures were included their level of unemployment was no better (worse actually), but you contested that.

I have asked you many time what you believed that furlough figure was. Sadly as yet no response.
    In light of your present post, perhaps you might give it a try now ?

Charlie this is not Swedish strategy thread. Have you completely lost it?

This is Ireland's restrictions thread where we discuss indoor dinning being banned while Prof Nolan comes out and says NPHET have no idea where virus gets transmitted.

You need to either start posting about Irish restrictions and their effectiveness (clearly ineffective btw as cases keep sky rocketing, lets blame the youth) or start posting in Swedish thread see if any1 wants to converse with you there.

I dont. I find your posts narrow minded and highly repetitive (herd immunity.... god 200 + posts from you on that alone :rolleyes:). I do hope for your sake you stop posting about Sweden in this thread... before you are officially told to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

He's one of the few reasons I keep coming back to this thread. His statement like so many of his ignores some inconvenient facts. Like Broadband is non existent is some parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

What ever we do there are no easy discisions but healthy under 65s are disproportionly disavangaged

In the age group of 25-64, the CSO recorded in its latest release that 98 people from a total of 107 who sadly died had an underlying health condition.

That means that all but nine of those people between 25-64 who have died with Covid-19 had an underlying health condition

this is a fact checked snipet from Jounal

• Advertisement

Charlie this is not Swedish strategy thread. Have you completely lost it?

This is Ireland's restrictions thread where we discuss indoor dinning being banned while Prof Nolan comes out and says NPHET have no idea where virus gets transmitted.

You need to either start posting about Irish restrictions and their effectiveness (clearly ineffective btw as cases keep sky rocketing, lets blame the youth) or start posting in Swedish thread see if any1 wants to converse with you there.

I dont. I find your posts narrow minded and highly repetitive (herd immunity.... god 200 + posts from you on that alone :rolleyes:). I do hope for your sake you stop posting about Sweden in this thread... before you are officially told to.

Rather than playing your usual avoidance/attempts to distract little games, shall we look at a few basic facts instead.

The poster I was replying to name checked Sweden as his *Utopia" of the solutions to this pandemic. You have also been a virulent proponent of the same over various threads.

Now you are name checking every country that comes into your head that you believe will validate your argument yet feel that Sweden, the country you championed for so long and so fervently should not be mentioned.

Why is that ?
    The realisation of some truths finally coming home to roost perhaps!

Edit: Moderating now as well I see. Or attempting to to influence so to dig you out of a hole of your own making.
    Disgraceful behaviour imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

beauf wrote: »
    If some people don't believe its a threat. How about saving a waiver that they are ignoring the restrictions, but on the agreement that if they get COVID, they agree not to be treated for it. So they don't have to wear a mask etc. but people are entitled to refuse them entry or deal with them.

In that way people can get on with doing their own thing.

I'd have no problem doing that. Peter Hitchens wrote an article a few months ago in which he argued for people to be allowed to register as 'relaxed': https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8513543/PETER-HITCHENS-Forget-face-masks-fear-lets-relax-accept-risk.html

From the article:

"I suggest that we are allowed to register as ‘relaxed’. We will sign declarations that we will not sue anyone or claim on anyone’s insurance if we catch Covid-19. We regard it as a minor risk of life, to be coped with.

In return, employers, shops, pubs, restaurants, churches, swimming pools and transport operators should (if they wish) ask staff if they too are prepared to declare themselves ‘relaxed’. Or they could recruit new staff who are.

Where this happens, all the footling palaver of visors, muzzles, plastic screens, incessant obsessive use of hand-sanitiser and ‘social distancing’ will be abandoned.

Trains can have special ‘relaxed’ carriages where refreshments are served and baleful, doom-laden announcements are turned off. The upper decks of buses will be ‘relaxed’, or perhaps one entire bus in three (till we see what the take-up is). Airlines can offer entire ‘relaxed’ flights.

Everyone else can carry on, shrouded in gowns like the staff of a mortuary, muzzled in face-nappies, hiding from each other on footpaths and in doorways."

Dionaibh wrote: »
    I'd have no problem doing that. Peter Hitchens wrote an article a few months ago in which he argued for people to be allowed to register as 'relaxed': https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8513543/PETER-HITCHENS-Forget-face-masks-fear-lets-relax-accept-risk.html

From the article:

"I suggest that we are allowed to register as ‘relaxed’. We will sign declarations that we will not sue anyone or claim on anyone’s insurance if we catch Covid-19. We regard it as a minor risk of life, to be coped with.

In return, employers, shops, pubs, restaurants, churches, swimming pools and transport operators should (if they wish) ask staff if they too are prepared to declare themselves ‘relaxed’. Or they could recruit new staff who are.

Where this happens, all the footling palaver of visors, muzzles, plastic screens, incessant obsessive use of hand-sanitiser and ‘social distancing’ will be abandoned.

Trains can have special ‘relaxed’ carriages where refreshments are served and baleful, doom-laden announcements are turned off. The upper decks of buses will be ‘relaxed’, or perhaps one entire bus in three (till we see what the take-up is). Airlines can offer entire ‘relaxed’ flights.

Everyone else can carry on, shrouded in gowns like the staff of a mortuary, muzzled in face-nappies, hiding from each other on footpaths and in doorways."

Sad, funny and true. Hysteria is getting real in Dublin, on some streets you'd think outdoor mask wearing is mandatory.

Its pretty amazing that with public going the extra mile and wearing that face mask on the streets and when going to the bathroom etc. youd think cases will come down. Yet complete opposite happens.

By December I can see government telling public to wear 2 masks just to be "shure" :rolleyes:

Sad, funny and true. Hysteria is getting real in Dublin, on some streets you'd think outdoor mask wearing is mandatory.

Its pretty amazing that with public going the extra mile and wearing that face mask on the streets and when going to the bathroom etc. youd think cases will come down. Yet complete opposite happens.

By December I can see government telling public to wear 2 masks just to be "shure" :rolleyes:

Sounds awful.

Peter Hitchens' 'relaxed' idea sounds great. Imagine if people could register as 'relaxed'.

Mr Martin also questioned the workability of the measure. “The idea of just locking things down for two weeks and being able to come back as normal, I’m not sure that’s a runner,” he said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-taoiseach-rules-out-short-national-lockdown-as-focus-shifts-to-regional-restrictions-1.4378147

Mehole finally speaking sense.

We can hope. A small glimmer of hope but here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds awful.

Peter Hitchens' 'relaxed' idea sounds great. Imagine if people could register as 'relaxed'.

I'd happily do this. I'm not sick, haven't been sick, live alone and WFH full-time, and frankly I'm tired of the whole thing.

The odds are overwhelmingly in my favour even if I did get infected (assuming I haven't been already and didn't know it which is just as likely) so I'd quite willingly sign a "disclaimer" if it meant being able to live - not just survive - again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Almost another 25,000 added to the PUP scheme since last week. Extra 61 million a week.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd happily do this. I'm not sick, haven't been sick, live alone and WFH full-time, and frankly I'm tired of the whole thing.

The odds are overwhelmingly in my favour even if I did get infected (assuming I haven't been already and didn't know it which is just as likely) so I'd quite willingly sign a "disclaimer" if it meant being able to live - not just survive - again.

I wonder would a third of the population register as 'relaxed'. Possibly.

I think it's a great idea. You'd have 'relaxed' people living normal lives and the rest living new normal lives.

Mr Martin also questioned the workability of the measure. “The idea of just locking things down for two weeks and being able to come back as normal, I’m not sure that’s a runner,” he said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-taoiseach-rules-out-short-national-lockdown-as-focus-shifts-to-regional-restrictions-1.4378147

Mehole finally speaking sense.

We can hope. A small glimmer of hope but here it is.

Expect him to change his mind next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've noticed that - in the city centre more and more people (particularly younger people) are wearing masks.

Unpopular opinion around here, but great to see. I don't wear one outside myself, but if the younger people want to lead a social change I'd be happy to do so in solidarity. This crisis has really shown a light on the people who are willing to make sacrifices in the interest of society, and those who are utterly self absorbed and selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Almost another 25,000 added to the PUP scheme since last week. Extra 61 million a week.

Extrapolate that to Level 5 and you can see why they're not rushing to it- just come out and say we just can't afford it and people will have to take their own measures.

hmmm wrote: »
    I've noticed that - in the city centre more and more people (particularly younger people) are wearing masks.

Unpopular opinion around here, but great to see. I don't wear one outside myself, but if the younger people want to lead a social change I'd be happy to do so in solidarity. This crisis has really shown a light on the people who are willing to make sacrifices in the interest of society, and those who are utterly self absorbed and selfish.

The good thing about the 'relaxed' idea is that it would mean the end of the 'selfish' charge. If people knew that 'relaxed' people had signed a declaration saying they wouldn't sue or seek hospital care if they got the virus then there'd be no problem.

But for it to really work you'd need a 'relaxed' part of the country for the people registered as 'relaxed' in order that they could live among each other as 'relaxed' people.

hmmm wrote: »

Only under 21s i saw wear masks are the 6 to 8 year old children who had the mask put on them by parents.

Havent seen any youth mask wearing in Dublin, where abouts did you see?

Also - you arent wearing a mask outdoors. Pleasant surprise. :)

Only under 21s i saw wear masks are the 6 to 8 year old children who had the mask put on them by parents.

Havent seen any youth mask wearing in Dublin, where abouts did you see?

Also - you arent wearing a mask outdoors. Pleasant surprise. :)

God, it's harrowing to think of a 6 year old wearing one of those things.

God, it's harrowing to think of a 6 year old wearing one of those things.

My heart cries when I see that.

They play and think they are super heroes... :(

My heart cries when I see that.

They play and think they are super heroes... :(

It's extremely distressing and I fear the damage will be irreversible.

The drama.

Kids can see what a small number of adults can't - wearing a mask is trivial.

The good thing about the 'relaxed' idea is that it would mean the end of the 'selfish' charge. If people knew that 'relaxed' people had signed a declaration saying they wouldn't sue or seek hospital care if they got the virus then there'd be no problem.

But for it to really work you'd need a 'relaxed' part of the country for the people registered as 'relaxed' in order that they could live among each other as 'relaxed' people.
    Unfortunately for you, our ambulance and rescue services aren't going to leave you to die on the street or in your home even if you have one of these cards. And they're not going to waste time looking for it, because that puts everyone at risk.

And when you get to the hospitals the doctors and nurses are going to treat you even if you ask them not to.

And if you end up in ICU nurses and doctors are going to put on PPE for hours at a time and risk their lives in a high-viral-load environment trying to help you survive as you begin to drown in fluid.

So maybe there is somewhere you can go where medical people aren't going to help you, but it's not in this country.

The hyperbole has reached new levels today. A mask causing irreversible damage, I have never heard such nonsense. Were the masks made out of barbed wire?

It is fantastic to see those wrongly not required to wear masks still doing the right thing and wearing them I applaud the parents.

• Advertisement

Mind boggling stupidity.

no long enough id imagine the other occupants feel! ahh the life and times of a self righteous misanthrope eh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement