Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

hmmm wrote: »
    I've noticed that - in the city centre more and more people (particularly younger people) are wearing masks.

Unpopular opinion around here, but great to see. I don't wear one outside myself, but if the younger people want to lead a social change I'd be happy to do so in solidarity. This crisis has really shown a light on the people who are willing to make sacrifices in the interest of society, and those who are utterly self absorbed and selfish.

And those who have been brow beaten or misinformed into over zealous disproportionate actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

Unfortunately for you, our ambulance and rescue services aren't going to leave you to die on the street or in your home even if you have one of these cards. And they're not going to waste time looking for it, because that puts everyone at risk.

And when you get to the hospitals the doctors and nurses are going to treat you even if you ask them not to.

And if you end up in ICU nurses and doctors are going to put on PPE for hours at a time and risk their lives in a high-viral-load environment trying to help you survive as you begin to drown in fluid.

So maybe there is somewhere you can go where medical people aren't going to help you, but it's not in this country.

But people who registered as 'relaxed' would take the risk of catching the virus and agree not to seek treatment if sick. They'd agree to take that risk. It's actually win-win. Fewer potential patients means less chance of hospitals being overwhelmed and a return to normal life for the 'relaxed' people. I think it's a great idea. It would also mean there'd be no resentment simmering below the surface because the 'relaxed' people would be living normal lives and wouldn't be forced to endure new normal.

The hyperbole has reached new levels today. A mask causing irreversible damage, I have never heard such nonsense. Were the masks made out of barbed wire?

It is fantastic to see those wrongly not required to wear masks still doing the right thing and wearing them I applaud the parents.

Do you think babies should wear them?

The drama.

Kids can see what a small number of adults can't - wearing a mask is trivial.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I find it extremely distressing to see. But I'm mindful of going off on a mask tangent, so maybe it would be better to not focus on them. It's just that masks and restrictions overlap.

Dionaibh wrote: »
    Do you think babies should wear them?

Babies will just pull them off and also babies are generally not going into settings around other people at the moment. Any child old enough to be understand when they are told not to pull it off should be wearing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm a few pages behind so apologies if this has already been posted. It looks like England are following our lead with a tiered approach. Oh, and it was leaked to the press prior to the announcement. Shock horror.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Hysteria and paranoia has reached fever pitch. A large swot of people are convinced every surface is lava and every breath of outside air is toxic, each outside touch or breath will result in instantaneous death. Trying to convince them with data, facts and encouraging critical thinking and creative solutions are met with responses like 'selfish, conspiracy theorist, open up brigade"

Our media in the age of digital and free news is incentivised for clicks, and nothing reads better than doomy daily case numbers. NPHET want a zero COVID-19 approach and it's not their concern to think about livelihoods, happiness, the economy, non emergency health matters etc.

The cycle repeats itself. It's hard to blame people, we are are emotive by nature.

There's also few but some that lockdown works for. Maybe no loss of income, an opportunity to relax and save for a while. Spend time with the family. I don't judge or fault them, again it's human nature.

Our government are at a difficult crossroad this very moment -- let's hope the attraction of appeal to the pubic's emotion and their PR department isnt too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Almost another 25,000 added to the PUP scheme since last week. Extra 61 million a week.

Thank God for the magic money tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Babies will just pull them off and also babies are generally not going into settings around other people at the moment. Any child old enough to be understand when they are told not to pull it off should be wearing one.

I hope that the kindness of your heart would permit kids with intellectual difficulties to be exempted.

Or we get a whole island approach which eliminates this.

Also how do you see the border being patrolled if there is a brexit hard border considering that legally it will have to be in that scenario.

You can't have a whole island approach as it would be unacceptable to unionists.

A hard border from Brexit will not apply to freedom of movement for people, only goods.

You have yet to address the people who work on one side but live on the other.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Thank God for the magic money tree

I have a bad feeling that the budget announced is actually for 6 months or so, hence they cant stop mentioning "it is unprecedented" and that come March working class may just get USC 2.0

But it will be temporary

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I have a bad feeling that the budget announced is actually for 6 months or so, hence they cant stop mentioning "it is unprecedented" and that come March working class may just get USC 2.0

But it will be temporary

:(

I wish the lockdown merchants realised this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It seems younger kids, say under 9 don't seem to be vectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It seems younger kids, say under 9 don't seem to be vectors.

But next week we'll probably be told the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting that there appears to be ties between the Koch foundation (noted climate sceptics) and the so-called "Great Barrington Declaration". It's all part of the same game for some people.

And this:
    https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1315678624893210625

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Do you have children? I have a 3 year old who understands when I tell him don't take off his hat it's too cold.
    Do you seriously think a 3 year old should be wearing a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Do you have children? I have a 3 year old who understands when I tell him don't take off his hat it's too cold.
    Do you seriously think a 3 year old should be wearing a mask?

I wouldn’t even bother. These same posters are calling for the schools to be closed & children isolated from their teachers & peers for a virus that does not negatively impact them at all. They don’t seem to know or care about how children learn, or the long term damage it may cause them.

Predicting casual 400 - 650 new cases today.

Optimist.

It all depends on how many false positives show up really. Think cases gotta start be coming down now otherwise NPHET with their recommendations are not of much use, and MM might just begin to realise that lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I've noticed that - in the city centre more and more people (particularly younger people) are wearing masks.

Unpopular opinion around here, but great to see. I don't wear one outside myself, but if the younger people want to lead a social change I'd be happy to do so in solidarity. This crisis has really shown a light on the people who are willing to make sacrifices in the interest of society, and those who are utterly self absorbed and selfish.

There are selfish on both sides...for example I would deem your posts selfish in some ways also. You seem to want schools to close, young children in masks and mandatory mass vaccination of the rushed vaccine so you can go out and have a coffee...while showing no sympathy whatsoever to posters whose jobs are lost to this pandemic.

There are selfish on both sides...for example I would deem your posts selfish in some ways also. You seem to want schools to close, young children in masks and mandatory mass vaccination of the rushed vaccine so you can go out and have a coffee...while showing no sympathy whatsoever to posters whose jobs are lost to this pandemic.
    I have to wonder about the bogeymen you construct in your head.

I'm more than happy for us to prioritise schools. I don't support shutting retail or outdoor premises before schools.

I was very much an anti-masker in that thread earlier in the year. I wear a mask now because public health experts tell me it's a good idea. I don't remember ever asking for children to wear masks, but I don't start breaking down in tears like the finale of the original Planet of the Apes if I see a child wearing one.

I don't support mandatory vaccination, but I think people who won't take a vaccination will need to be kept away from people they could potentially infect. They are big into telling everyone else how easy it is to isolate so it shouldn't be much of a problem to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I have to wonder about the bogeymen you construct in your head.

I'm more than happy for us to prioritise schools. I don't support shutting retail or outdoor premises before schools.

I was very much an anti-masker in that thread earlier in the year. I wear a mask now because public health experts tell me it's a good idea.

I don't support mandatory vaccination, but I think people who won't take a vaccination will need to be kept away from people they could potentially infect. They are big into telling everyone else how easy it is to isolate so it shouldn't be much of a problem to them.

Do you have to blow their heads off like zombies or will there be some sort of Gulag. Spike Island is free as far as I know.

This is how I imagine some of the posters on this thread travel through Dublin city centre.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Danica Freezing Brow: we must protect our parents at all costs.....

Also Danica Freezing Brow: unless they live abroad, then **** them.......

I'm not particularly inclined to give support to Danica Freezing Brow...but that's quite the conclusion to come to from what was typed.

dalyboy wrote: »
    What can’t be taken seriously anymore is calling covid a pandemic.

You'll have to try and lobby the people who make up dictionary definitions in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The next 24 hours are crucial according to Mary Lou on rte just now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Sorry to break this to you, but none of the vaccines currently being trialled prevent infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

bush wrote: »
    The next 24 hours are crucial according to Mary Lou on rte just now

Ah stop, I'd say more people died on the Roads both sides of the border over the last 6 weeks

23,301,552 new cases today.

1 death with covid. Over 70 people died from other causes - not reported by RTE.

Another day. Another day with 15-20% unemployment in the country.

Next x weeks are crucial :rolleyes::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I saw a video today released by a guy called Ivor Cummins. Really good anyone here see it? Really debunks Lockdown4eva as a strategy.

• Advertisement

I saw a video today released by a guy called Ivor Cummins. Really good anyone here see it? Really debunks Lockdown4eva as a strategy.

He plots number of cases and deaths on a graph and shows that ever since June this is not even an epidemic.

But people dont like that, because he doesnt have a virology degree. They question his qualifications to plot numbers on the graph.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement