Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

polesheep wrote: »
    Or having the effect you would like. Not that I'm in favour of Brexit or wishing to heap praise on the UK's handling of Covid, but the media should give equal opportunity to both sides of any debate. They do have much more robust media debates than anything we get here.

LBC is good for that.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You clearly have no understanding of depression.

No, I do. I’m just not of the mind to join those few who are of the view that people who have been diagnosed with depression are absolved from their responsibilities in life.

By your logic people with depression should be enabled to exhibit other behaviors that endanger their fellow citizens... how about we let them drive through red lights without sanctions ? Assault random people in the street ? NO right ! That sounds ridiculous, it is ridiculous... covid is the same, they need to act responsibly, adhere to restrictions and invest time consulting with psychologists and other medical professionals if they don’t see a way of managing it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

People should stop going for testing, it's a waste of time. Negative one day, positive the next.

Yes wash hands be mindful of the elderly & keep you're distance, fair enough.

Hoolahan said if we get below 100 cases we can open back up. That can be achieved next week if we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

charlie14 wrote: »
    It`s nothing to do with what I believe or do not believe. Its the average percentage worldwide of confirmed cases who passed due to Covid-19.
    It is a verifiable figure. Anything else is supposition and guesswork that will vary greatly depending on what you suppose or guess a figure is. Doing that makes statistics meaningless.

Is it?

Or is it a figure based on those who passed returning a positive test, whether or not they developed a serious case of Covid which actually killed them?

There are so many figures and numbers we do not know ..... and probably never will ...... that most of the pronouncements are in the 'best guess' category, based on information available at the time.

I would think the best death rates attributable to Covid could easily be ascertained by comparing historical death numbers with present death numbers.
    I have not heard any of our experts provide those numbers ..... and apparently anyone who does is a crank, non-medic and not to be believed.
    You do not need a medical licence to compare numbers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dmakc wrote: »
    I'm convinced that if RTE and the wider media didn't have such a hard-on for a lockdown and hysteria (i.e. ratings) we'd still be 3.5

rte don't have a hard on for lockdown and don't do hysteria.
    most of the wider media don't do hysteria either.
    we would absolutely be going to level 5 regardless because it's necessary to circuit break.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

TheCitizen wrote: »
    How is it in RTE’s interest or the rest of the MSM like Newstalk etc. to promote a lockdown “agenda” as the conspiracy mob on here would have it?

Have you seen the eye watering figures media outlets for getting as advertising revenue from the government? Some local radio stations are getting more per payment than they would normally in a year! anywhere between €75K and €90K, even more in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I’ve heard this conspiracy talk and you’d see it with the loons that are parading around the streets at the weekends. How is it in RTE’s interest or the rest of the MSM like Newstalk etc. to promote a lockdown “agenda” as the conspiracy mob on here would have it?

Lol then you're beyond naieve- it makes for cheap programming with a captive audience requiring zero thought or innovaton.
    Plus there's Government grant aid to "help" them overcome the financial loss of ad reveneues= all in all this is media Gold and the best easiest story since 9/11...lockdown also increases listenership as people have nothing else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Strumms wrote: »
    No, I do. I’m just not of the mind to join those few who are of the view that people who have been diagnosed with depression are absolved from their responsibilities in life.

By your logic people with depression should be enabled to exhibit other behaviors that endanger their fellow citizens... how about we let them drive through red lights without sanctions ? Assault random people in the street ? NO right ! That sounds ridiculous, it is ridiculous... covid is the same, they need to act responsibly, adhere to restrictions and invest time consulting with psychologists and other medical professionals if they don’t see a way of managing it. :)

Sure, it's so easy to get an appointment.

As I said, you have no understanding of depression and you are making a fool of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

England is a basket case. Brexit is madness. If you’re putting forward their talk radio as brilliant and informative why are the English making an almighty mess of themselves. That tabloid media and talk radio you’re referring to doesn’t seem to be having a positive effect that’s for certain.

Again more rte Irish media brainwashed stuff- I used visit monthly for work pre all this rubbish and I can assue you it's pretty damn far from a basketcase. And leagues ahead of here in regards to so many aspects of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Low and behold, level 3 was already starting to work before level 5 was announced
    eigrod wrote: »
    905 positive swabs from 14676 tests. Positivity rate 6.17%. Encouraging trend this week.

Apologies if already posted.

• Advertisement

everyone knew that the travel "restrictions" were guidelines as this was made clear.
    ryanair got their arses handed to them in the courts, not sure how that was clever or railroading government.

Ryanair got the very answer they knew they would get. Their intentions weren't to open the country and remove restrictions, it was to have a clear position communicated from government. You may have known the restrictions were guidelines, I did too... But a whole cohort of people didn't, and after repeated attempts from Ryanair to get the government to clarify it, they wouldn't. This was even alluded to in the judgement. In fact I suppose Ryanair got their asses handed to them so bigly that they were even awarded limited costs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

growleaves wrote: »
    We're not disagreeing technically.

The WHO's estimate puts covid-19 in the range of a normal respiratory virus in terms of mortality.

The statistics about median age of death puts covid-19 in the range of a normal respiratory virus in terms of morbidity.

None of the stories or statistics around Long Covid put the after-effects of covid outside of the range of a normal illness (yet).

Governments and medical authorities have only stuck to that 'we don't know' how deadly covid could be; while media have implied, inferred, gaslighted that a non-normative nightmare scenario is more likely than a normative respiratory illness scenario.

The WHO also estimate those that pass due to flu each year at 290,00-650,000.
    An average of 470,000 per year.
    Covid-19 confirmed deaths for 8 months are 1.12 million.
    Using the WHO yearly average of 470,000 for 8 months equates to around 320,000 deaths due to flu.
    That would mean that Covid-19 deaths are close to 4 times greater than a normal respiratory virus

You clearly have no understanding of depression.

You have clearly no understanding or wish to understand covid...

421 people committed suicide in Ireland last year.

1852 people have died from covid.. SO FAR this year

Only in October and 340% more people died from covid so far than suicide last year... there are 73 days left this year.

By all means continue making a fool of ‘your-self’ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You have clearly no understanding or wish to understand covid...

421 people committed suicide in Ireland last year.

1852 people have died from with covid.. SO FAR this year

Only in October and 340% more people died from with covid so far than suicide last year... there are 73 days left this year.

By all means continue making a fool of ‘your-self’ :)

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Come on how many extra cases are in the death category due to car crash. As you say if they are they are taken off as soon as possible.

quite a few I'd say, as the hospitals test all admissions now.

As you say if they are they are taken off as soon as possible.

this bit is fairly disingenuous to be fair.

Yes you are correct but what I really said was the coroner will remove them , the coroner won't see them for ages.

How long before the coroner rules on a death in ireland?
    - legally it cant take place for 6 weeks minimum and we know it take a lot lot longer.

Our Covid public policy is based on recent stats not revised ones that fall out of the coroner court months if not years later - Covid will be long gone in it's current guise when that happens.

And you know that, yet that didn't stop your sly remark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I’ve heard this conspiracy talk and you’d see it with the loons that are parading around the streets at the weekends. How is it in RTE’s interest or the rest of the MSM like Newstalk etc. to promote a lockdown “agenda” as the conspiracy mob on here would have it?

I have no idea what their interest or their agenda is. I assume its a mixture of revenue, morality, compliance boost and of course trotting the government line. Not necessarily in that order.

Do you believe that RTE gives you honest unbiased information and debate on covid?

FYP

No, if their death certificate says otherwise. :)

Have you seen the eye watering figures media outlets for getting as advertising revenue from the government? Some local radio stations are getting more per payment than they would normally in a year! anywhere between €75K and €90K, even more in some cases.

I wasn't even aware of that. Certainly a good reason to trot the party line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The WHO also estimate those that pass due to flu each year at 290,00-650,000.
    An average of 470,000 per year.
    Covid-19 confirmed deaths for 8 months are 1.12 million.
    Using the WHO yearly average of 470,000 for 8 months equates to around 320,000 deaths due to flu.
    That would mean that Covid-19 deaths are close to 4 times greater than a normal respiratory virus

Does testing occur for flu deaths is nursing homes?

Remember it only needs a positive test to be called a Covid death, so we must apply similar metrics to the flu.

It seems the flu is fatal to young children.

Who calibrated the moral compass so that flu deaths were not worthy of historic restrictions?

• Advertisement

Is it?

Or is it a figure based on those who passed returning a positive test, whether or not they developed a serious case of Covid which actually killed them?

There are so many figures and numbers we do not know ..... and probably never will ...... that most of the pronouncements are in the 'best guess' category, based on information available at the time.

I would think the best death rates attributable to Covid could easily be ascertained by comparing historical death numbers with present death numbers.
    I have not heard any of our experts provide those numbers ..... and apparently anyone who does is a crank, non-medic and not to be believed.
    You do not need a medical licence to compare numbers!

The opposite could also be the case. There are countries that are under-reporting for various reasons. There is one I know that only records a death due to Covid-19 if someone passes within 30 days of being a confirmed case, and bizarrely if in ICU passes within 40 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Yes it sounds like you prefer an echo chamber rather than a debate. Switch on Rte you’ll get that too

This is the biggest bloody echo chamber of a thread you'll ever see!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Elessar wrote: »
    I've held my nerve over all of the restrictions up to now but this 6 week rubbish is an absolute disgrace of the highest order. Not even Belgium with its case numbers is as restrictive or as long as ours. We are the North Korea of Europe. The economic toll and the toll this will have on people is immense and the government should be ashamed of themselves. Don't forget we also have a hard Brexit to look forward to aswell for jobs and the economy.

And after the 6 weeks the cases will just rise again, for what? Another 6 weeks of soviet-like restrictions that nobody else in the EU would even contemplate? More lost jobs, more domestic abuse, more mortgage arrears. What happened to the 'we must learn to live with the virus' mantra that that government were signalling after the last lockdown? I'd give my own opinions on what should be done but to what end...the government won't give a sh*te and most Irish people will just lap up what the government give them.

An absolute travesty.

suggesting our minimal restrictions are north corea or soviet union like is headbanger nonsense and an insult to the people who are suffering in north corea under a brutal dictatorship, and to those who suffered at the hands of the soviet union who, unlike you and i, suffer and have suffered respectively, actual genuine hardship.
    there was always going to be an economic toll no matter what was done.
    everybody else in the EU have either had similar restrictions or are re-implementing them on a local basis where required by the way.
    any piece of vermin engaging in abuse of their partners are responsible for their own actions and would be doing it covid or no covid, they must be prosecuted and locked up.
    the we must live with the virus mantra is exactly what we have had since the beginning, it was always going to mean restrictions.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

No, if their death certificate says otherwise. :)

Their death certificate can mention multiple causes. Covid must be listed (if tested positive or even suspected as such) as one of them.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is the biggest bloody echo chamber of a thread you'll ever see!! :D

I guess that's true but every thread is guilty of that.

Mask thread is for the hardcore covid guys.
    General thread has a bit of a debate and info but mostly RTE/party line.
    This here is the refuge for the sceptics.

Echo chamber happens almost naturally. You post something somewhere, you get called an idiot, you may take a stand for a short while but eventually you go fk not going in there again.
    Sign of the times I guess. No one ever backs down in an internet debate and everyone shouts all the time. People would never speak like that face to face. I'm as guilty as anyone.

My opinion is what I arrived at looking at all the information available to me and passed it through my life experience filter. Like everyone else. Only thing I know for sure is I dont know for sure and neither do you. None of us should forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Lol then you're beyond naieve- it makes for cheap programming with a captive audience requiring zero thought or innovaton.
    Plus there's Government grant aid to "help" them overcome the financial loss of ad reveneues= all in all this is media Gold and the best easiest story since 9/11...lockdown also increases listenership as people have nothing else to do.

Lockdown decimates radio shows such as Newstalk as people mainly listen to it in the car. Doubt many people put the radio on at home, so saying that that a lockdown benefits radio doesn’t fit. Vast majority of people aren’t watching RTE. Netflix has completely cannibalised terrestrial TV.

Was there a reason you mentioned 9/11. Do you think there was an alternative protagonists involved than anything discussed? Do you see the irony that you believe anyone invited by RTE as an analyst or commentator is being spooned an agenda but when it comes to other anti belief bias, it’s thought provoking and mana. Journalists are not equipped to impart technical knowledge on this and wanting to constantly listen to any analyst ad hominem is damaging.

Do you think every leader in the EU is manufacturing an illusion of a virus s meltdown, all together in order for a massive heist or reset?

• Advertisement

Does testing occur for flu deaths is nursing homes?

Remember it only needs a positive test to be called a Covid death, so we must apply similar metrics to the flu.

It seems the flu is fatal to young children.

Who calibrated the moral compass so that flu deaths were not worthy of historic restrictions?

Totally different argument Fintan.
    My point is that we know the percentage to confirmed cases due to Covid-19.
    The point was being made on estimates by the WHO. I used the WHO`s estimate on flu as opposed to the actual verifiable figures on Covid-19 and that showed that Covid-19 has a mortality rate almost 4 times greater.
    You cannot have it both ways on WHO estimates.

Seeing as you are asking about tests you never did explain your statement "1 in 100 have had a positive test" on testing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Haven’t seen them. Have you a credible source for this? Are you talking about the public service announcements etc.?

Is there not a corollary to that in that because of lockdown RTÉ is losing funding and revenue. Shíte like the Rose of Tralee is a big money spinner for RTÉ so anything their pulling in from the government re “advertising” as you call it re Covid is out weighed elsewhere. All this sounds like conspiracy theory bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

rte don't have a hard on for lockdown and don't do hysteria.
    most of the wider media don't do hysteria either.
    we would absolutely be going to level 5 regardless because it's necessary to circuit break.

Claire Byrne recently had Pat Falvey on her show. Pat is an adventurer and has climbed Everest. Why was he on? To demonstrate to people how to dress for outdoor dining in Ireland during winter. I **** you not. If that isn’t hysteria I don’t know what is.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Lockdown decimates radio shows such as Newstalk as people mainly listen to it in the car. Doubt many people put the radio on at home, so saying that that a lockdown benefits radio doesn’t fit. Vast majority of people aren’t watching RTE. Netflix has completely cannibalised terrestrial TV.

Was there a reason you mentioned 9/11. Do you think there was an alternative protagonists involved than anything discussed? Do you see the irony that you believe anyone invited by RTE as an analyst or commentator is being spooned an agenda but when it comes to other anti belief bias, it’s thought provoking and mana. Journalists are not equipped to impart technical knowledge on this and wanting to constantly listen to any analyst ad hominem is damaging.

Do you think every leader in the EU is manufacturing an illusion of a virus s meltdown, all together in order for a massive heist or reset?

9-11 was a conspiracy to create easy media content for the Fake News channels. LOLz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

everybody else in the EU have either had similar restrictions or are re-implementing them on a local basis where required by the way.
    any piece of vermin engaging in abuse of their partners are responsible for their own actions and would be doing it covid or no covid, they must be prosecuted and locked up.
    the we must live with the virus mantra is exactly what we have had since the beginning, it was always going to mean restrictions.

Yes many other countries are overreacting alongside Ireland to varying degrees. This does not negate Irish people's right to question the validity of the official position one bit.

Awful glib and trite statement there on domestic abuse. You've solved it seemingly - just lock them up! The nature of the restrictions remove what little sanctuary might have been there for some victims. Undeniable. I hope NPHET and Co. at least tried to factor it in with more gravitas than you.

Living with Covid and hiding everything and everybody away in panicked fashion are diametric 180 degree opposites. The former seeks to open as much as possible whilst avoiding spread. That 'living with' strategy was clearly abandoned in the last few days. Most questionable.

• Advertisement

Claire Byrne recently had Pat Falvey on her show. Pat is an adventurer and has climbed Everest. Why was he on? To demonstrate to people how to dress for outdoor dining in Ireland during winter. I **** you not. If that isn’t hysteria I don’t know what is.

It’s hardly hysteria, just a silly idea for a soft story in her Current Affairs tv show. Some of the reaction on here is hysterical alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I guess that's true but every thread is guilty of that.

Mask thread is for the hardcore covid guys.
    General thread has a bit of a debate and info but mostly RTE/party line.
    This here is the refuge for the sceptics.

Echo chamber happens almost naturally. You post something somewhere, you get called an idiot, you may take a stand for a short while but eventually you go fk not going in there again.
    Sign of the times I guess. No one ever backs down in an internet debate and everyone shouts all the time. People would never speak like that face to face. I'm as guilty as anyone.

My opinion is what I arrived at looking at all the information available to me and passed it through my life experience filter. Like everyone else. Only thing I know for sure is I dont know for sure and neither do you. None of us should forget that.

I think it is better for different stripes of opinion to have different threads or else the bickering could get too bitter.

Like you say people naturally separate.

That said I currently prefer the main thread - just as some pro-restrictions posters prefer this thread. The separation is not absolute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But we are not living with the virus.

Maybe the WFH brigade who have kept their jobs and have more time with the kids and are saving a fortune on not commuting feel that way, but those who have lost their jobs, those who are struggling to keep their business afloat, and those who are in their 30s and are struggling to meet someone to have a family with, they are not living.

Their lives are miserable.

I'd be happy if we could live with the virus, but let's not pretend we're doing something that we're not.

Haven’t seen them. Have you a credible source for this? Are you talking about the public service announcements etc.?

Is there not a corollary to that in that because of lockdown RTÉ is losing funding and revenue. Shíte like the Rose of Tralee is a big money spinner for RTÉ so anything their pulling in from the government re “advertising” as you call it re Covid is out weighed elsewhere. All this sounds like conspiracy theory bullshít.

It was posted in this thread, or maybe part V, it was after a round of covid payments issued by the Government. I'll try and find it and post it, fairly sure I bookmarked it.

Edit: Found it quicker than planned: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/radio-stations-will-receive-up-to-95-000-under-covid-19-scheme-1.4223967
    "The funding is available to cover costs “directly related” to the aim of enhancing public awareness and understanding of the health emergency and the closing date for applications is April 29th, with funding decisions “announced as soon as practicable”

Zebra3 wrote: »

Maybe the WFH brigade who have kept their jobs and have more time with the kids and are saving a fortune on not commuting feel that way, but those who have lost their jobs, those who are struggling to keep their business afloat, and those who are in their 30s and are struggling to meet someone to have a family with, they are not living.

I'd be happy if we could live with the virus, but let's not pretend we're doing something that we're not.

Id rather be alive and have those issues... then be strugling on a ventilator.same for friends and family..

Id rather be alive and have those issues... then be strugling on a ventilator.same for friends and family..

Ah yes, throw some emotional post up as opposed to dealing with the truth of what I posted.

Do you ever leave your home? Wouldn't want to leave the house in case you're in a car crash? Or go into the bank or shop in case there's a robbery when you're in there?

It was posted in this thread, or maybe part V, it was after a round of covid payments issued by the Government. I'll try and find it and post it, fairly sure I bookmarked it.

Edit: Found it quicker than planned: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/radio-stations-will-receive-up-to-95-000-under-covid-19-scheme-1.4223967
    "The funding is available to cover costs “directly related” to the aim of enhancing public awareness and understanding of the health emergency and the closing date for applications is April 29th, with funding decisions “announced as soon as practicable”

Can’t add the attachment with the amounts awarded. It’s too large! On a phone here so don’t know how to reduce its size

The WFH brigade? This another cohort pushing for Lockdowns? LOL. Some on here clearly taking leave of whatever senses they had

The WFH brigade? This another cohort pushing for Lockdowns? LOL. Some on here clearly taking leave of whatever senses they had

There is no shortage of people who WFH that are delighted they don't have to go to the office.

Do you disagree with that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don't think there is sufficient evidence to say the virus has mutated and become weaker as a result.

Treatment now seems to be much better now than what it was. I forget what the exact stat is, but a lot less people are succumbing to it in ICU than they were back in April.

What has improved on the treatment side?

• Advertisement

There is no shortage of people who WFH that are delighted they don't have to go to the office.

There is also no shortage of WFH people who hate these restrictions and would give all the money saved just to be able to get some normality back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40048235.html%3ftype=amp

4.38 million on broadcasting re Covid so far.

No breakdown as to who got what.

It’s not a huge amount relative to normal advertising revenues but there’s most definitely a vested interest in maintaining ad money from government to mitigate expected losses for this year.

Also would imagine if RTÉ can point to increased viewership for this year they can argue for more state support to keep them afloat as they are providing an important service of keeping people informed, and thus essential during any future potential crisis.

When this is over WFH should be more prevalent. It was always something that was on the way. Covid has accelerated the process. Makes a lot more sense where practicable than everyone sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Work from home as its advantages and disadvantages. Wouldn't mine a 3 day home and 2 day office.

As for the commute, not saving much on that side as driving kids to school and back which costs more !!!

Ah yes, throw some emotional post up as opposed to dealing with the truth of what I posted.

Do you ever leave your home? Wouldn't want to leave the house in case you're in a car crash? Or go into the bank or shop in case there's a robbery when you're in there?

Yes... im frequently of the want and requirment to leave my home :)

The occurences of car crashes and bank robberies are far far less .. than incidents of people catching covid...
    they are miniscule in comparisson... risk assesment would have me say its ok to drive to xx but not ok to dismiss the need of further restrictions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

9-11 was a conspiracy to create easy media content for the Fake News channels. LOLz
    Lizard people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The opposite could also be the case. There are countries that are under-reporting for various reasons. There is one I know that only records a death due to Covid-19 if someone passes within 30 days of being a confirmed case, and bizarrely if in ICU passes within 40 days.

I take it then you do not have the answer to the question posed ...
    is it a figure based on those who passed returning a positive test, whether or not they developed a serious case of Covid which actually killed them?

...... or else chose not to answer NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

What has improved on the treatment side?

I was speaking to an ICU nurse recently and he told me that they are administering CPAP earlier and also IV steroids sooner, which has improved outcomes in patients.

It’s encouraging, and hopefully they’ll continue to improve treatments.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40048235.html%3ftype=amp

4.38 million on broadcasting re Covid so far.

No breakdown as to who got what.

It’s not a huge amount relative to normal advertising revenues but there’s most definitely a vested interest in maintaining ad money from government to mitigate expected losses for this year.

Also would imagine if RTÉ can point to increased viewership for this year they can argue for more state support to keep them afloat as they are providing an important service of keeping people informed, and thus essential during any future potential crisis.

I have a breakdown here, but cant upload it as the file is too large. But a quick snippet...

Clare FM: €95,000
    Northern Sound: €91,945
    FM104: €70,000
    Tipp FM: €95,000
    Q102: €44,445
    Red FM: €60,000

The list contains I'd say up to 30 radio stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

It's a global pandemic. Things will be **** until it burns itself out or we get a vaccine. Not sure how some people think they should be able to live their normal lives. There is a level of delusion/denial in this country that is pretty staggering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement