Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting your first trainer job

Options
  • 06-10-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi all how are you?

So I have completed the level 6 train the trainer course with the lovely folks at DCM and I received a merit. Yay me.

I have started looking at employment now and as usual they all require relevant experience. Cue the vicious work experience circle of doom. Can't get a job without experience. Can't get experience without a job.
    I have seen some really interesting roles I would like to apply for but alas I lack the experience.

Or do I?
    I have been teaching English as a foreign language to adults for 4 1/2 years now. Classroom based and online.
    Could that count as relevant?

Also, I have seen trainer jobs in a wide variety of different areas. One trainer I heard of teaches the safe pass and health and safety in a pharmaceutical plant and has no experience of working in either industry.

My question is to apply for a role as a trainer in a particular area do you need to have that background? For example, fire safety. Short of a fire drill here and there at work I have zero experience in this field. How does one put themselves in a position to apply for a role as trainer of fire safety?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

pegdrums wrote: »
    Hi all how are you?

So I have completed the level 6 train the trainer course with the lovely folks at DCM and I received a merit. Yay me.

I have started looking at employment now and as usual they all require relevant experience. Cue the vicious work experience circle of doom. Can't get a job without experience. Can't get experience without a job.
    I have seen some really interesting roles I would like to apply for but alas I lack the experience.

Or do I?
    I have been teaching English as a foreign language to adults for 4 1/2 years now. Classroom based and online.
    Could that count as relevant?

Also, I have seen trainer jobs in a wide variety of different areas. One trainer I heard of teaches the safe pass and health and safety in a pharmaceutical plant and has no experience of working in either industry.

My question is to apply for a role as a trainer in a particular area do you need to have that background? For example, fire safety. Short of a fire drill here and there at work I have zero experience in this field. How does one put themselves in a position to apply for a role as trainer of fire safety?

Cheers.

Any workplace fire training I’ve ever had has been from firemen/women. CPR training has been from qualified nurses etc.

I’d imagine you’d need some experience in the area you are training in otherwise you will quickly lose credibility with the people you are training when they start asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Also Train the Trainer is to enable you to train a team, who will then deliver the training in the workplace etc. It sounds like you might not be applying for the right roles to match your certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP- experience in an area e.g. First Aid, is always beneficial. So, if you worked as an Emergency Medical Technician for the Ambulance Service, you'd be well qualified and experienced.

However, you would also need to complete the Instructor level training course in the area.

This is easier to do in some fields e.g. Manual Handling Training, it's mostly theory with little actual experience required.

https://www.thecplinstitute.ie/product/manual-handling-instruction/

Instructor level FAR (First Aid Responder) might be achievable too - if you're good in that area. https://www.thecplinstitute.ie/product/first-aid-instructor/

Might be worth investigating what other Instructor level courses you could do....

Your TEFL experience is worth noting - might be worth estimating your teaching hours as a reference point.

Finally, I would continuously look for opportunities to deliver a few hrs training - local sports club or voluntary organisation - any level is good. Might help you build up some references in the area too.

BOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

Did you try the ETB?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

Also Train the Trainer is to enable you to train a team, who will then deliver the training in the workplace etc. It sounds like you might not be applying for the right roles to match your certificate.

Thanks for your replies. To the best of my knowledge this course enables us to deliver training to groups who will go on to deliver what they have learned in their workplace but also it enables us to design and implement training courses for whatever we might see an opportunity to provide training in. Assuming that is, as you said, that there is relevant experience/ qualification in that area.

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    OP- experience in an area e.g. First Aid, is always beneficial. So, if you worked as an Emergency Medical Technician for the Ambulance Service, you'd be well qualified and experienced.

However, you would also need to complete the Instructor level training course in the area.

This is easier to do in some fields e.g. Manual Handling Training, it's mostly theory with little actual experience required.

https://www.thecplinstitute.ie/product/manual-handling-instruction/

Instructor level FAR (First Aid Responder) might be achievable too - if you're good in that area. https://www.thecplinstitute.ie/product/first-aid-instructor/

Might be worth investigating what other Instructor level courses you could do....

Your TEFL experience is worth noting - might be worth estimating your teaching hours as a reference point.

Finally, I would continuously look for opportunities to deliver a few hrs training - local sports club or voluntary organisation - any level is good. Might help you build up some references in the area too.

BOL!

Thanks for your reply.
    A positive note for the TEFL experience. And sound advice for delivering some volunteer hours of training.

I'll have a look at those links. It make sense to have a cert that says you're qualified to deliver that specific training. My course taught me all about designing and delivering training. The specific content must still be sought.

2 fast wrote: »
    Did you try the ETB?

Not yet. i know a neighbour teaching a level 4 course to adults. While she should strictly have a further education cert she has been working away there no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I did the train the trainer a few years ago, but I had a previous background in IT and software. I then was able to apply for jobs teaching IT courses, microsoft applications Web Design and java/sql software courses.

Loved the work, but a lot of the jobs were in Dublin and the commute killed me.

I was on a panel for the local ETB for sub work, but the IT teachers NEVER got sick :D

Rikand wrote: »
    I did the train the trainer a few years ago, but I had a previous background in IT and software. I then was able to apply for jobs teaching IT courses, microsoft applications Web Design and java/sql software courses.

I was on a panel for the local ETB for sub work, but the IT teachers NEVER got sick :D

Hey,
    So yea having that solid background in a particular area proved useful. My background is a bit all over the place, lots of different jobs, and work environments. Useful to have had a taste in various work environments.

Were you commuting to Dublin or to the city centre from within?

Hey,
    So yea having that solid background in a particular area proved useful. My background is a bit all over the place, lots of different jobs, and work environments. Useful to have had a taste in various work environments.

Were you commuting to Dublin or to the city centre from within?

Commuting to Dublin region, Dublin airport mostly. I'm from Athlone so it was a long commute. I used to stay up in the hotels I was teaching in mostly and I hated being away from my family. i had one kid and another on the way and I just felt I was missing out on too much at home being away all the time. I packed it in after about 7 or 8 months. It was lucrative work, but being away from home a lot of the time just wasnt for me

• Advertisement

Yea that sounds tough alright. Hope all is working out for ya now.
    I like the lucrative comment, just need to find my niche and get cracking.
    Currently teaching TEFL which at the best of times was extremely unstable.

You were employed by a company yea? Did they offer you a full time permanent contract with a salary or was it piece work?

Yea that sounds tough alright. Hope all is working out for ya now.
    I like the lucrative comment, just need to find my niche and get cracking.
    Currently teaching TEFL which at the best of times was extremely unstable.

You were employed by a company yea? Did they offer you a full time permanent contract with a salary or was it piece work?

I worked for myself as a freelance trainer, contracted out to a few different training companies. I did my training through DCM as well but never actually worked for them. I would have worked for a few of their competitors for example.

All working out great for me now. I joined the civil service. I have an amazing quality of life, flexi time, loads of time with the family. I even get to drop my kids to school and im home with them to do homework in the evenings. its brilliant. Money is rubbish, but for me now there is more to life than money and I can always choose to do overtime if i need a top up :D

That's awesome, glad to hear all worked well. Sounds like you have a great balance now.

When you were training was the work steady? Thats my main goal I guess. My current job jumps from part time to full time too often, Id like to think I could get steady work with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Rikand wrote: »

Similar background here and I had been looking at getting into the Teaching space but any ETB's I've seen advertise also require a Teaching Council registration ... and to get on a TC recognised course for FET requires work experience hours... chicken and egg :(

I hate that bloody chicken! I was even looking at van driver jobs recently as an interim. Cant get a job without 2 years experience, can't get the experience without a job.....I've been driving almost 20 years!

Any advertised jobs with ETB do require a teaching council registration number. My neighbour got in in kinda through the back door as it were. A position came up, someone let them down, she suited it, they knew her, she had her level 6 train the trainer and she got in that way. Rare I'd say.

There are further education courses available (teaching adults course), Marino in Dublin has a famous one but none in Cork as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭defiantdancer

Pegrums, whereabouts are you based? NCI in Dublin also does a course to enable you to teach adults in further education if you want to take a look at their website. Would you recommend DCM for the train the trainer qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Themurph23

Hello All, first time poster here. I am looking to get into teaching and more specifically adult education. Education wise I have a Masters in Business and last year i conpleted a train the trainer course. I have no formal teaching experience but I have 10 years management experience within a global multinational and within my roles i have always been involved in training and loved it. I know teaching is different. I decided to bite the bullet and start educating myself in training and teaching. Can anyone offer advice on how to break into the profession within an ETB for example? I seen an adult educator position which i am going to apply for but i am guessing my lack of official experience will rule me out! Any advice on gaining experience or any other courses i could do. Thanks!

Pegrums, whereabouts are you based? NCI in Dublin also does a course to enable you to teach adults in further education if you want to take a look at their website. Would you recommend DCM for the train the trainer qualification?

I'm based in Cork.

I would recommend DCM yea. Everything is a bit weird when done remotely online but I found there system to be very good. Each module had a very thorough video to watch which accompanied a workbook and a course book. Any time I had a problem with anything I could send an email and get a response pretty quickly. They also had a discount applied to the course which was great!

Themurph23 wrote: »
    Hello All, first time poster here. I am looking to get into teaching and more specifically adult education. Education wise I have a Masters in Business and last year i conpleted a train the trainer course. I have no formal teaching experience but I have 10 years management experience within a global multinational and within my roles i have always been involved in training and loved it. I know teaching is different. I decided to bite the bullet and start educating myself in training and teaching. Can anyone offer advice on how to break into the profession within an ETB for example? I seen an adult educator position which i am going to apply for but i am guessing my lack of official experience will rule me out! Any advice on gaining experience or any other courses i could do. Thanks!

Howdy and welcome!

As stated previously you need to be registered with the teaching council to teach with the ETB.

Adult/ further education is a different qualification from secondary school. It's not an area I know an awful lot about I'm afraid. I know that Marino in Dublin along with NCI have a course available. My advice would be to google them and email the contact that is listed on the page.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Advertisement