Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email only receipts ?

Options
  • 06-10-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭

First I've heard of this but also struck me as possibly something that's against legislation.

The other half was in a certain women's retailer which give you a whole 'N.. L..k' and at the till the usual can I get your email for receipt or do you want a copy of one. She said no to email and as the girl gave the paper copy she said . Just so you know we're moving to email only receipts next month . It's for product marketing too.

So question for fellow boardsies. Is this legal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Its the product marketing part thats the problem. Are you consenting to your contact information being used for this purpose essentially? Would make instantly say no anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

you find that low paid shop assistant rarely know exactly what is happening.

But if they are moving to email only receipts it will be detrimental to their business.

Harvey Norman tried this about 5 years ago and very quickly realised it was causing a massive kick back from customers with quite a few not completing their purchase.

Within a couple of weeks it became optional.

Been a while since I ever worked in retail so I'm likely out of touch, mind you the law could be as well but I'm thinking they don't have to give you a receipt but they do have to issue one on request?

So how does that work now ? Can I have a receipt please, yes of course we can email that to you. I don't have an email...... get your pen and paper out then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I thought it odd because I assumed you have to give as receipt and cannot specifically specify the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely if this becomes the norm the government will have to step in. A shop might argue there's nothing in the law that says which format the receipt is in (speculating here). If the government does nothing and more shops start doing it people will just set up a new e mail ac for receipts only I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Personally I prefer emails, but I only get them on larger items. I created short email address especially for stuff like this. It forwards to my main mail account.

You'd think it would be preferred in the context of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

A business is not obliged to give you a receipt:
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-goods/buying-goods/

However it makes it easier for everyone because a receipt makes returns much more straightforward from a proof of purchase point of view (you do not need a receipt as proof of purchase but again it's the most straightforward way).

That said though a company cannot request an e-mail address for an e-receipt and use it for marketing purposes without you expressly and separately agreeing to allow them do so. And they must allow you to opt-out at any time in the future if you do initially opt-in.

Personally, I find the e-receipts far better than the thermal printed ones all shops use now that fade in no length of time (or turn completely black if left in the car on a sunny day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

set up a simple free email address for receipts and only check it if you need to simple. Or don't shop in that shop if they move to email only receipts and it gets yer knickers in a twist for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Homer wrote: »
    set up a simple free email address for receipts and only check it if you need to simple. Or don't shop in that shop if they move to email only receipts and it gets yer knickers in a twist for some bizarre reason.

Who's knickers are in a twist ? Appears just yours.

It's a forum people ask questions in it. If they didn't the website would be dead.

Why are your knickers in a twist over a question. That's rather odd don't you think. Are you always like this

listermint wrote: »
    First I've heard of this but also struck me as possibly something that's against legislation....

....So question for fellow boardsies. Is this legal ?

Don't know. Seems like it might be.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/ask-for-a-receipt-no-legal-obligation-on-shop-to-give-you-one-1.3443281

What legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't think there's any legal issues; and for items with long lifespans or long warranties, an email receipt is much more likely to last than a thermal paper one. I found the receipt for a lawnmower I bought in September 2019 and its completely illegible already for instance, although that seems especially quick to fade.

Going to be a few people that simply don't have email still of course.

Makes finding them months later so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

The problem for me is that you can use any email address that comes to mind.
    Someone who lives/shops in New York uses my email address any time they buy something so I get all of their receipts. It's pretty annoying TBH and I've had the email address forever so I don't want to change it.

pjdarcy wrote: »
    The problem for me is that you can use any email address that comes to mind.
    Someone who lives/shops in New York uses my email address any time they buy something so I get all of their receipts. It's pretty annoying TBH and I've had the email address forever so I don't want to change it.

Really your email should be a unique and personally i think it should not be mostly your name. It more of a PO box. Would solve a lot of problems. A random meaningless email address makes people more precise about how they use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

beauf wrote: »
    Really your email should be a unique and personally i think it should not be mostly your name. It more of a PO box. Would solve a lot of problems. A random meaningless email address makes people more precise about how they use it.

Can we take this offline? You can email me at Xcp$$56qe@gmail.com :D

pjdarcy wrote: »
    Can we take this offline? You can email me at Xcp$$56qe@gmail.com :D

There's a flip side of that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYc_flMnMQ&ab_channel=ZoeProze

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

KildareP wrote: »
    That said though a company cannot request an e-mail address for an e-receipt and use it for marketing purposes without you expressly and separately agreeing to allow them do so. And they must allow you to opt-out at any time in the future if you do initially opt-in.

GDPR is the mechanism to prevent this and should be used if retailers use a switch to email receipts for marketing purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

But surely we all know the true reason any of these blood sucking hell companies would only want to switch to e receipts is to harvest the data for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Don't Halfords do this as well?

I know because my brother bought a car battery there and gave his email address for the receipt but they entered it incorrectly and it ended up in my inbox. Not a great system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

listermint wrote: »
    Who's knickers are in a twist ? Appears just yours.

It's a forum people ask questions in it. If they didn't the website would be dead.

Why are your knickers in a twist over a question. That's rather odd don't you think. Are you always like this

You should try reading the original post again. The irony in your post is comical.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    But surely we all know the true reason any of these blood sucking hell companies would only want to switch to e receipts is to harvest the data for marketing purposes.

It would save a lot of money in paper and printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thermal receipt paper is not recyclable either, as it stands. Ink receipt printing is quite rare and is usually either antique cash registers or places that do A4 pages.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Don't Halfords do this as well?

I know because my brother bought a car battery there and gave his email address for the receipt but they entered it incorrectly and it ended up in my inbox. Not a great system.

You can ask for a physical receipt instead in Halfords.

I have no issue with email receipts but do have an issue with being signed up to marketing emails on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

awec wrote: »
    You can ask for a physical receipt instead in Halfords.

I have no issue with email receipts but do have an issue with being signed up to marketing emails on the sly.

Emailed receipts are great if the person inputting the address is paying attention and does it correctly.

Nothing worse than actually saving a receipt only to find when you need it that the ink (or whatever it is) has faded over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Emailed receipts are great if the person inputting the address is paying attention and does it correctly.

Nothing worse than actually saving a receipt only to find when you need it that the ink (or whatever it is) has faded over time.

quick photo and save to receipts folder.

Advertisement