Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff rep on BOM

Options
  • 06-10-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hello, yet another thread.

What are poster's views of putting themselves up for nomination for BOM? Is it worth the hassle? Can you air your views and tell the truth as to what is happening in the school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Hello, yet another thread.

What are poster's views of putting themselves up for nomination for BOM? Is it worth the hassle? Can you air your views and tell the truth as to what is happening in the school?

Hey, I think it's a great idea to serve on the board. You see things from many diff points of view and learn how the sausage is made so to speak. The main thing id say is that when you're on the board, you're there as a member of the board, not as a teacher, so sometimes you have to take off the teacher hat. Likewise sometimes you have to give the teacher View that patron and parents sometimes overlook, I found myself almost being a voice for kids on many occasions!

Air your views? Well yes, you can, but about what. You are part of a team, not there to antagonise, but work for a better school. It does no favours to look to battle parents, or throw a principal under the bus, but offer opinions and work to better them. I would say that the board should generally stay away from the operational aspects of the school and focus on big picture stuff. Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Hey, I think it's a great idea to serve on the board. You see things from many diff points of view and learn how the sausage is made so to speak. The main thing id say is that when you're on the board, you're there as a member of the board, not as a teacher, so sometimes you have to take off the teacher hat. Likewise sometimes you have to give the teacher View that patron and parents sometimes overlook, I found myself almost being a voice for kids on many occasions!

Air your views? Well yes, you can, but about what. You are part of a team, not there to antagonise, but work for a better school. It does no favours to look to battle parents, or throw a principal under the bus, but offer opinions and work to better them. I would say that the board should generally stay away from the operational aspects of the school and focus on big picture stuff. Does that help?

Thanks for that. I was in two minds and a few colleagues have said it to me and I've been contemplating.

I'm going this to PM if you don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Thanks for that. I was in two minds and a few colleagues have said it to me and I've been contemplating.

I'm going this to PM if you don't mind.

Yup play away

Advertisement