Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling Formica?

Options
  • 07-10-2020 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

I think that's what it is? Nearest I can come to it, anyway. I have these little name plates. Gray material with the names etched through the surface, revealing the white under layer.

I got them in two batches. Ex friend drilled holes in the first batch. Now he's gone and I need to drill the next lot myself.

Thing is, I remember him saying he had to layer / clamp them between something. Else they'd have cracked? Can't, for the life of me, remember what he said though!

Any ideas, please? These things were hard come by and cost me silly money. I have to drill them for screwing.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stigura wrote: »
    I think that's what it is? Nearest I can come to it, anyway. I have these little name plates. Gray material with the names etched through the surface, revealing the white under layer.

I got them in two batches. Ex friend drilled holes in the first batch. Now he's gone and I need to drill the next lot myself.

Thing is, I remember him saying he had to layer / clamp them between something. Else they'd have cracked? Can't, for the life of me, remember what he said though!

Any ideas, please? These things were hard come by and cost me silly money. I have to drill them for screwing.

Thanks.

Do you mean polycarbonate/lexan rather than formica?

I would suggest putting a picture of the item which you are referring to before proceeding but I suspect he was advising that you clamp a the plates to a flat surface with something applying force across the whole of the piece, or certainly in the area in which you are going to be drilling.

Think 2 flat pieces with the engraved piece between them and clamped with a g clamp. After that. I think a good quality drill bit should be fine if it is a small hole but there are specific bits you can get for the purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-plexiglass-polycarbonate-Norseman-BG4650A/dp/B07D1B3B51

Keep in mind if you are using plates as your friend advised (might not be needed in my view) that getting all pieces aligned so the holes are exactly where you want in your piece will need focus and planning. Keep two edges of clamp piece aligned with edges of your piece will be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

And I left my bloody camera down in the stables, today!!! Right. Sod this. Off to the stables I go! Be right back. I have the plates right here. I was gonna grab a shot ~ then remembered where the camera was :(

Plates.jpg

Sorry about that time lag. I'm on Linux and it's slower than cutting ye own head off with a butter knife!

Those drill bits! €50.00!!! Wow! My mate wouldn't have had those. But, he managed it. I'm thinking a slow, metal bit?

Plates.jpg

Sorry about that time lag. I'm on Linux and it's slower than cutting ye own head off with a butter knife!

Those drill bits! €50.00!!! Wow! My mate wouldn't have had those. But, he managed it. I'm thinking a slow, metal bit?

How thick are those pieces? They look quite narrow.

In terms of a drill bit, it should be something with a pointed tip (less than 60 degrees angle) and metal bits typically are about 120 I think.
    And it should be drilled smoothly, with consistent pressure, but at fairly high speed once you get started.

Those pieces look quite small, I imagine you are only planning on drilling to holes on each (horizontal on centre and about 10mm in from each side) and each hole will be no bigger than maybe 4mm?

Personally, if I was drilling those, I'd mark my hole centres using a ruler and pencil and would then lay the piece on a flat surface, which I can drill in to, and drill the holes. You should ensure it can't spin once the drill catches in it possibly with a clamp of some sort at the opposite end to where you or drilling, or in the centre if it is not in the way. If you end up using a clamp, make sure to put some wood or other material like insulation tape between the clamp face and the piece so as not to scratch it.

Give how small the pieces are, is gluing them to where you want them to go an option instead of using bolts/screws?

Pretty damn thin! My eyes aren't up to much any more but, I'd guesstimate 3mm?

One on the right Is drilled. See? That's what we're looking at.

I have a pair of rubberised clamps here. Came with my Keter (?) work table. Anyway, they'd be ideal. Scary thing is that what I haven't got is a drill press!

Obviously, me trying to do the job with a free hand, bog standard, DIY drill doesn't bode well :(

I guess what I'm Really trying to do here, subconsciously, is find out What needs to be done. Then, find someone, local, to Do it.

• Advertisement

Oh! Sorry. 8mm x 5 1/2.

I have some Gorilla, two part epoxy here. I'd thought to use that to stick them to plastic plugs, set in the concrete?

These are name plaques for my Dogs. I make them concrete head stones and screw these plates to them.

Can't remember now, What about reading the instructions on that glue made me give that idea up. Water resistance?

What ever. I decided I'd rather stick with the little screws I've always used.

Pretty damn thin! My eyes aren't up to much any more but, I'd guesstimate 3mm?

One on the right Is drilled. See? That's what we're looking at.

I have a pair of rubberised clamps here. Came with my Keter (?) work table. Anyway, they'd be ideal. Scary thing is that what I haven't got is a drill press!

Obviously, me trying to do the job with a free hand, bog standard, DIY drill doesn't bode well :(

I guess what I'm Really trying to do here, subconsciously, is find out What needs to be done. Then, find someone, local, to Do it.

Hadn't noticed the holes.

If you're going to go this route, I'd just pick whoever you are thinking of asking locally and give them both plates and tell them you want holes in the second to match the first.

Wouldn't go trying to micromanage them. Someone who might have worked with boat repair (plastics/wood involved) or a tool maker or panel beater should have the right tools and the experience to do it.

Doing it with a hand drill should not be a problem with the right drill bit, and a bit of experience.

Thanks. I'll keep trying to probe then. Obviously, Really bloody difficult for a guy who's already a registered hermit, way before the yellow peril :rolleyes: Don't Know more than a few people.

I'll push it though. Ask who knows who else. No Way I'm attempting it. I'm a retired rat catcher. Take ye to the cleaners on that :D But, naming weird and esoteric forms of 'plastic', and how to drill them? All aboard the Nope Train!

Thank you very much for the pointers. At least now I know who / what I'm looking for :)

Advertisement