Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Functional commuter jacket

Options
  • 07-10-2020 9:02am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently working from home but will be using the bike for regular short spins to post-office, bank etc... and am looking for a waterproof jacket with decent pockets (e.g. suitable for envelopes and small packets), a hood and somewhat breathable. Ideally bright colours without being high-viz. All I could was the Altura Thunderstorm but the reviews on Wiggle suggest the quality is appalling. Any recommendations for something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking for the same thing for years. I use a Galibier Tourmalet II as I haven't found anything better which balances right heat (it is a light jacket but I can use it most of the year with just a tshirt underneath), waterproofness and breathability. But it doesn't have pockets or a hood, and is very obviously a cycling jacket. I'd much prefer something that looks a bit more like a normal jacket

I also use an Endura Urban Primaloft II which I use in the colder weather. Not as waterproof but a much nicer looking and more practical jacket off the bike.

I've used a Rapha Commuter which looked and fitted great but wasn't very breathable nor visible (despite the bright colours) so I sent it back & I've read good reviews of the DHB Flashlight Force

I think we should all email Galibier and beg them to make a jacket in the same material as a Tourmalet but as a commuter (more high viz parts, pockets, different cut, possibly a hood)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

smacl wrote: »
    Currently working from home but will be using the bike for regular short spins to post-office, bank etc... and am looking for a waterproof jacket with decent pockets (e.g. suitable for envelopes and small packets), a hood and somewhat breathable. Ideally bright colours without being high-viz. All I could was the Altura Thunderstorm but the reviews on Wiggle suggest the quality is appalling. Any recommendations for something similar?

A hiking / walking jacket sounds like it might do the trick. Trespass or Reggata normally have sales on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I've a Berghaus hiking jacket that is excellent for this kind of carry on. Dark grey, looks fine off the bike, unbelievably waterproof, plenty of space in the pockets and reasonably breathable.

For even worse weather, I have an Ember & Earth Raincoat that is incredible and works for on the bike too. Very warm, so only if it's cold as well as wet. Irish company too, which is nice. Large hand pockets and pockets in the lining of the jacket large enough to carry bottles of wine.

https://www.emberandearth.com/

EDIT: FYI, neither of these were bought as "cycling" gear. They are just the coats I reach for most if I have to cycle somewhere when it's raining, i.e., not if I'm going for an actual cycle for the craic of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Does your bike have a rear rack? I'd throw on a waterproof rear pannier for carrying the letters, packages and other bits and bobs. This setup works well for me.

Deciding on the jacket will be much easier then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've a Berghaus hiking jacket that is excellent for this kind of carry on....
    The problem with non-cycling jackets is that they do not have the length on the back or shortness at front especially for road bike use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm also looking for one.
    Smart, no hood, two zipped pockets in front (easy to carry keys, phone) and not a big baggy lumpy thing, something slim fit that looks decent in non cycling life.
    The Rapha ones are gorgeous fit wise, but very pricey.

I fear it's not out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

The problem with non-cycling jackets is that they do not have the length on the back or shortness at front especially for road bike use.

The berghaus one I had has extra length at the back and is shorter at the front. Not as much as a cycling jacket but perfect for the odd nip into town or whatever.

The ember and earth one is a long jacket, so length isn't a problem.

I mean, if the op wants a cycling specific jacket, neither are ideal; I certainly dob't have either for that purpose. But they're great for commuting use as they both work off the bike as well as they do on the bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The berghaus one I had has extra length at the back and is shorter at the front. Not as much as a cycling jacket but perfect for the odd nip into town or whatever.

The ember and earth one is a long jacket, so length isn't a problem.

I mean, if the op wants a cycling specific jacket, neither are ideal; I certainly dob't have either for that purpose. But they're great for commuting use as they both work off the bike as well as they do on the bike.

Will have a look at the berghaus thanks. Bike used for this purpose is my old flat bar hack, so very relaxed position. Thinking about it more general walking jacket should be fine in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

+1 for a well fitted gortex hiking jacket. Aim for one with 2.5 layers of gortex and climbing compatible(fits climbing and cycling helmets in the hood comfortably) most will have an ass protector.

Advertisement