Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outdoor fused spur or add shed consumer unit

Options
  • 07-10-2020 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

i have a shed wired with 2.5 swa from the house to the shed about 20 meter run, the shed has 2 double sockets no consumer unit but is protected by a 20 amp mcb, so i want to add a ring flood light camera could i add a fused spur in the shed or am i better off having a small consumer unit added

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I'd go with putting a board in the shed and upgrading the cable to 6mm SWA or 10mm SWA, I think given the short enough run 6mm would suffice? Obviously this depends if you can easily get at the SWA without much digging, cracking walls.

There may come a time where you put more and more in the shed so a 40A MCB protecting 10mm to a shed board would be my call, I have this setup.

The advantage of the board in the shed is that you can RCBO there and not have the shed sockets possibly triggering the main house RCD (I assume that it's not currently split). Also you can isolote the entire shed from the shed board and not having to walk back to house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lostman666

alan4cult wrote: »
    I'd go with putting a board in the shed and upgrading the cable to 6mm SWA or 10mm SWA, I think given the short enough run 6mm would suffice? Obviously this depends if you can easily get at the SWA without much digging, cracking walls.

There may come a time where you put more and more in the shed so a 40A MCB protecting 10mm to a shed board would be my call, I have this setup.

The advantage of the board in the shed is that you can RCBO there and not have the shed sockets possibly triggering the main house RCD (I assume that it's not currently split). Also you can isolote the entire shed from the shed and not having to walk back to house.

id be up for upgrading to the tails to 10mm, as id love to get the shed ready for a home office type set up for working from home, but with covid, a lack of funds and other pressing renovations this will be further down on the priority list.

the fact that the swa as far as i can tell just buried in the ground and covered with tar and no sign of ducting in the shed or the attic is a defo put off. maybe ill find an alternative location for the ring camera for the moment and later move it to the shed

You could put the light on a plugtop for a quick and easy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lostman666

You could put the light on a plugtop for a quick and easy solution.

whats the difference between that and the fused spur?

lostman666 wrote: »
    whats the difference between that and the fused spur?

Fused spur is for a fixed appliances.
    No difference except it can be plugged out (and probably will!!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement