Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 5: Mileto to Camigliatello Silano (225km)

Options
  • 07-10-2020 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

I'm rushing out the door so will tidy this up later if needed.

At 225km with 3,700m of elevation, the organisers have described today's stage as not containing a single meter of flat :eek:

This is going to be a big test of the GC men, with Yates having very little time to recover after Monday's slump.

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-5-profile-ec56ea9862.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-5-map-1bf72fde42.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-5-climb-1ad5380f27.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-5-climb-n2-4b7f07f8cb.jpg

giro-d-italia-2020-stage-5-climb-n3-5c0f98ccc0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Make or break day for Yates. Either he comes back into contention for the GC or it's stage hunting from tomorrow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Shark attack on the final descent and gain some time on the other GC contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Shark attack on the final descent and gain some time on the other GC contenders

Not sure as last 2km kick back up so might not suit him today?

Hope he does though!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

Do all stages finish roughly the same time? around 3pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

One of the podcasts (cycling tips I think) suggested the potential high mountains being out may make for more attacks on these type of stages by the pure climbers. Not really sure where Yates fits with that - he's up there with the other GC contenders here in TT's. Anyway, unless he's really bounced back, I'd expect Yates to keep his powder dry.

• Advertisement

Do all stages finish roughly the same time? around 3pm?

Looks like it, they started way earlier than usual today due to the length TV coverage only on and there has already been 2 hours racing. 130km to go so I'd say 3 hours odd to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Macy0161 wrote: »
    One of the podcasts (cycling tips I think) suggested the potential high mountains being out may make for more attacks on these type of stages by the pure climbers. Not really sure where Yates fits with that - he's up there with the other GC contenders here in TT's. Anyway, unless he's really bounced back, I'd expect Yates to keep his powder dry.

I'm guessing they have alternative routes or plans for the stages in the high mountains if the weather doesn't play along?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

neris wrote: »
    I'm guessing they have alternative routes or plans for the stages in the high mountains if the weather doesn't play along?
    They will, but obviously won't be as high or long.

I think it may be overplayed though, very different early snow on clear roads/ no snow banks compared to May when it's a winter of cold and ice up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

neris wrote: »

Stelvio is behaving again, after being bad at the weekend, road is clear, snow all over the ski resort, will look great on TV.

Pieter Weening climbed off at some point today I see. Should never have been left back on his bike yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Pieter Weening climbed off at some point today I see. Should never have been left back on his bike yesterday.

Or allowed to start today. They're saying it was due to concussion - this would have been known before he started today surely?

Yeah you'd imagine a doctor would have seen him last night or this morning.

So I didn't get the pre-stage odds earlier as I was in a rush...Now neither PP nor Bet365 are showing them for me :(

So William Hill's current stage odds are...

Valerio Conti 6/5
    Carl Fredrik Hagen 5/1
    Jhonatan Restrepo 10/1
    Hector Carretero 8/1
    Jakob Fuglsang 16/1
    Vincenzo Nibali 16/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Puccio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Anyone else see the rider getting what looks like an inhaler from the doctors car, and then try to hide it an wave away the cameraman?

Yes but because I only quickly glanced at it I didn't see the inhaler and assumed he was annoyed as the camera was right in his face.

Looks like the break is doomed, GC contender to win?

Edit: Just as I said that the peloton gifted the break an free minute, so maybe we'll see!

Yes but because I only quickly glanced at it I didn't see the inhaler and assumed he was annoyed as the camera was right in his face.

Strange move hiding something if he is doing nothing wrong, which presumably he is because it was the Doctors car.

The Italians are not big believers in the benefits of road markings.

Sam Oomen looks about 14

• Advertisement

I didn't expect Ineos to be going all-in for Ganna today!

edit: I'm loving the eerie grimness here, peloton lit up by headlights etc! and Ganna attacks...

I didn't expect Ineos to be going all-in for Ganna today!

edit: I'm loving the eerie grimness here, peloton lit up by headlights etc! and Ganna attacks...

He was doing all the pulling on front for Puccio and Puccio didn't have the legs when it came to it.

He was doing all the pulling on front for Puccio and Puccio didn't have the legs when it came to it.

I blame work calls for missing that...

Hope Ganna can do this this, love to have seen De Gendt win but not looking likely now with wheelhugger Rubio with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

This is Ganna's by the looks of it. He'll be uncatchable when he gets to the top of this climb

Yeah hard to see Ganna caught now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They might have to turn on those bike lights :pac:

Oh this descent could be sketchy.

Oh this descent could be sketchy.

Fingers crossed everyone gets down safe. A rider could crash and nobody would see it

• Advertisement

Some ride by Ganna, hope he holds on here!

Advertisement