Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favor of covid-19 fines in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would, fines for people not wearing masks in supermarkets etc very big fines for anyone who has house parties etc. fines for people travelling outside their county for non essential travel. im baffled as to why they have not been introduced.

I’d say the resources to police and enforce aren’t there.

I think businesses could and should be doing more themselves.

A supermarket for example, should be making the same dosh if not more...people still need to eat, drink, buy toiletries, certain household items... cleaning products etc... so employ one extra statistic security guard per shift....”excuse me, can you put on a mask please before entering and remain with it on inside, thanks.”

Those who are giving it the poor mouth, ‘forgot my mask’ , ‘feel stressed with a mask’ ‘ I ate my mask’ get pointed to a vending machine near the entrance that is supplying masks at cost...my supermarket has one..beside the door.

Give these shîtheads zero wiggle room. You want to shop here ? Mask up here !

65% want fines introduced.

Jeasus christ people have absolutely no value or understanding of democracy.

65% is a majority.

I think that is democracy.

I honestly havent seen a lack of compliance.

Ive been all over Ireland with work and I cant remember the last time I see anyone in a shop with no mask

I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I live in a "deprived" area of Dublin.

My observation is that adherence to regulations, particularly around masks and house parties is lowest amongst...say it with me now..."the most vulnerable people in our society"! Who are the people not wearing masks on the luas? Feral kids and addicts. Who is having gaudy great house party for there little angles doing their first communion replete with bouncy castles, banging DJ and a rake of cans of a Sunday? Generally people who dont have work the next day.

These people laugh at your fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

At least one member of the Covid oversight committee leaked the recommendations Re the stage 5 lockdown. That member/ members should be outed and made resign. What happened internally was normal - NEFET making recommendations from a Covid control perspective, -no matter how severe- and the Gov consider same in the light of a broader perspective.
    BU T the media who published it before the gov had considered it behaved , IMHO, behaved extremely irresponsibly knowing that the population would be extremely worried.
    The leak has got no traction in the print or news media.
    I WONDER WHY?
    Look how fast they all jumped on the ‘ news gravy train and the public were aided and abetted re golfgate
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm sure.

Likewise.

Maybe take a picture the next time you see all this abdication of mask wearing in shops.

I've not seen it on my travels from Mayo to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

My observation is that adherence to regulations, particularly around masks and house parties is lowest amongst...say it with me now..."the most vulnerable people in our society"! Who are the people not wearing masks on the luas? Feral kids and addicts. Who is having gaudy great house party for there little angles doing their first communion replete with bouncy castles, banging DJ and a rake of cans of a Sunday? Generally people who dont have work the next day.

Now you have it, I'd rather see all this expensive Garda overtime going into tackling rampant Drug dealing, Robberies/stabbings and taking those Scrambler bikes off the roads along with tacking anti-social behavior than blocking up motorways delaying truck drivers and people trying to get to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Any high visible policing there? Doubt it

65% want fines introduced.

Jeasus christ people have absolutely no value or understanding of democracy.

Where does this stop, fine people for not taking the vaccine perhaps??

By your logic though, you could say that about someone stopped for speeding. They go to court, 3 points and xxx fine... is that a situation where people have no understanding of democracy ? Or is the law as relates to road safety and speeding, there to deter people from driving at an unsafe speed ? Endangering fellow motorists and pedestrians ? It is !

Any law relating to mask wearing would be to deter people from not wearing them. They might not enjoy wearing them, they might be uncomfortable but needs must.

65% is a majority.

65% want to give up democracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Because they aren't following your logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LillySV wrote: »
    Can u prove they aren’t?

The onus is on the person making the charge to prove it. Not the other way around. I thought most people understood this very basic premise.

Nope, simply untrue :)

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d say the resources to police and enforce aren’t there.

I think businesses could and should be doing more themselves.

A supermarket for example, should be making the same dosh if not more...people still need to eat, drink, buy toiletries, certain household items... cleaning products etc... so employ one extra statistic security guard per shift....”excuse me, can you put on a mask please before entering and remain with it on inside, thanks.”

Those who are giving it the poor mouth, ‘forgot my mask’ , ‘feel stressed with a mask’ ‘ I ate my mask’ get pointed to a vending machine near the entrance that is supplying masks at cost...my supermarket has one..beside the door.

Give these shîtheads zero wiggle room. You want to shop here ? Mask up here !

That’s one way to bankrupt yourself. Hope you aren’t in the retail game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Now you have it, I'd rather see all this expensive Garda overtime going into tackling rampant Drug dealing, Robberies/stabbings and taking those Scrambler bikes off the roads along with tacking anti-social behavior than blocking up motorways delaying truck drivers and people trying to get to work...

I’d like to see proper penalties on these people too... and the use of free legal aid once every 10 years max.... don’t see why taxpayers paying legal eagles a fortune to represent their cash cows and let them off again and again ...scum constantly causing trouble and paying nothing for it

By your logic though, you could say that about someone stopped for speeding. They go to court, 3 points and xxx fine... is that a situation where people have no understanding of democracy ? Or is the law as relates to road safety and speeding, there to deter people from driving at an unsafe speed ? It is !

Any law relating to mask wearing would be to deter people from not wearing them. They might not enjoy wearing them, they might be uncomfortable but needs must.

Ok it kinda deflected to mask wearing. Mask wearing doesnt bother me in particular, its annoying but I always wear it.

My initial point was the anti social aspect of the restrictions, which prevented the assembly of more the 6 people from 1 other dwelling.

Do you think introducing fines to prevent families socially meeting is an acceptable step for Ireland to take

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

xhomelezz wrote: »

They won't, these Wild Wests on benefits are left to their own devices as far as petty crimes goes, or more serious crimes that don't affect "the quality".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Halt PUP payment for pe3oe who breach the rules. No mask...lose your payment for a week.

But as usual the govt will only fine the middle class, not the Oliver Bond St scumbag ravers.

That’s one way to bankrupt yourself. Hope you aren’t in the retail game.

Nope, not in retail.

Bankrupt ? Hardly, a supermarket won’t allow you to cycle a bike up and down the aisles, won’t allow you to smoke cigarettes in their store or drink beer. People comply. Mask wearing will be the same. People gotta eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The onus is on the person making the charge to prove it. Not the other way around. I thought most people understood this very basic premise.

So basically you can come out with nonsense and when you have no other answer... you say prove it ! But can’t handle being asked to prove your view ...

I wasn’t involved in your earlier spate but seen your “prove it” statement ... a new type of response on boards for those who can’t put up a proper argument. Said I’d give it back to see if you would have a valid statement to make ... and well ... you didn’t!! Haha

• Advertisement

65% is a majority.

Boards is in no way, shape or form, a democracy.

Nope, not in retail.

Bankrupt ? Hardly, a supermarket won’t allow you to cycle a bike up and down the aisles, won’t allow you to smoke cigarettes in their store or drink beer. People comply. Mask wearing will be the same. People gotta eat.

The law which deals with discrimination in relation to goods and services is the Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 (ESA). The ESA prohibits discrimination on nine specific grounds.

Medical conditions/disabilities are one of the nine.

LillySV wrote: »
    So basically you can come out with nonsense and when you have no other answer... you say prove it ! But can’t handle being asked to prove your view ...

I wasn’t involved in your earlier spate but seen your “prove it” statement ... a new type of response on boards for those who can’t put up a proper argument. Said I’d give it back to see if you would have a valid statement to make ... and well ... you didn’t!! Haha

In any legal case, you have to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that the defendant is guilty.

I guess even the basics are too much for some people. If some is accused of rape, the judge doesn't say "Well, prove you didn't rape her" does he??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

xhomelezz wrote: »
    The guards do what we've called "drive-by policing": ie drive slowly past and are stared out of it by the local fauna who dare them to stop, which they dont.

The law which deals with discrimination in relation to goods and services is the Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 (ESA). The ESA prohibits discrimination on nine specific grounds.

Medical conditions/disabilities are one of the nine.

Nobody Is calling for discrimination quite simply. Requesting a person to mask up meets no definition legally or otherwise of discrimination.

People are just being mandated to wear proper PPE

The law deals with that too

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html

If somebody claims their mental health suffers if they are mandated to wear a seatbelt on a plane, they are instructed to leave the aircraft as they are a danger to themselves and others. Same as non mask wearing individuals. No matter the excuse they trot out.

Nobody Is calling for discrimination quite simply.

People are just being mandated to wear proper PPE

The law deals with that too

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html

EXEMPTIONS

If you have a reasonable excuse to not wear a face covering, you should tell a member of staff.

EXEMPTIONS

If you have a reasonable excuse to not wear a face covering, you should tell a member of staff.

Then you simply should have a letter from a doctor, signed. Not just a ‘here I don’t like masks I can’t be wearing them’. Exempt ? Prove it.

By what I see sometimes there must be thousands of exemptions.

Also it says “tell a member of staff “. Nowhere does it say that they need to facilitate you.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You people are nothing but petty little tyrants, who have absolutely no regard for liberty.

Currently many people who are high risk / very high risk feel their liberty is being seriously curtailed - not by the guidelines - but because those who refuse to comply and are acting stupidly, are contributing to increasing cases numbers which in turn puts them at an increased risk of contracting a virus that has the potential to kill them.

Have you any regard for their liberty?

Or do you subscribe to the train of thought that the elderly / high / very high risk categories should just keep themselves locked away behind closed doors in self-isolation so as not to impinge on your liberty?

Then you simply should have a letter from a doctor, signed. Not just a ‘here I don’t like masks I can’t be wearing them’. Exempt ? Prove it.

By what I see sometimes there must be thousands of exemptions.

Also it says “tell a member of staff “. Nowhere does it say that they need to facilitate you.

And you're sued. A jumped up little nobody has zero right to any of your medical information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

100% of the above posters do not understand what democracy is.

Fintan, are you conflating democracy with (perceived) personal freedoms?

Advertisement