Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zzr600 has a problem

Options
  • 07-10-2020 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Guys my 1997 zzr600 has a problem,I have balanced the carbs cleaned the carbs(jets),New air filter plugs etc,But when the bike is below 4000rpm(while riding,fine when reving it at standstill) the bike stutters and and doesnt run right at all,but above 4000rpm it runs great,Also guys the tick over of the bike is fine also,Would anyone know what the problem might be?Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Guys my 1997 zzr600 has a problem,I have balanced the carbs cleaned the carbs(jets),New air filter plugs etc,But when the bike is below 4000rpm(while riding,fine when reving it at standstill) the bike stutters and and doesnt run right at all,but above 4000rpm it runs great,Also guys the tick over of the bike is fine also,Would anyone know what the problem might be?Thanks all

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Sounds like you have tried most things. It might be worth checking the cam timing as that might explain why it's ok at certain engine speeds under load. When you say it stutters is it bogging down or does it start to misfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's not likely to be the cam timing. That's either right or it's not.

I'd be tempted to say the carbs need another looking at, (including diaphragms). If the diaphragms are cracked, perished, brittle, then they're not going to move under vacuum properly and you'll get weird running.

If they are definitely in order, then you'll be looking at ignition system.

Leads, caps, coils. Test each to values in the manual for continuity and resistance. Could be breaking down (age), and do the cheap fixes first. Not that familiar with ZZR's, so an outside chance would be the crank sensor/pickup for the ignition system.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

seamus1980 wrote: »
    But when the bike is below 4000rpm(while riding,fine when reving it at standstill) the bike stutters and and doesnt run right at all,but above 4000rpm it runs great,Also guys the tick over of the bike is fine also,Would anyone know what the problem might be?Thanks all

Dodgy coil.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Had a couple of ZZ-Rs, two 400s and 600.

First thing to check is the air intakes.

Make sure all the ducts are together and sealed. If these things aren't done up properly, they can give odd behaviour.

If you have been in at the carbs, make sure that the inlet rubbers between the carbs and the heads are properly secure and not perished or cracked.

Sounds odd, but make sure there is nothing the air box. I have seen people forget and leave rags/tools/small animals in there and again, it buggers up the air flow.

It doesn't sound like it, but it might be no harm to protect against the old Kawasaki issue of carb icing. Silkolene Pro FST in the tank sorts that.

Finally, check all of the carb float bowls for evidence of leakage or overflow. A stuck float could be allowing too much fuel through.

Do a plug check and see if there is a uniform colour to the plugs. If one or two are running rich, it could be stuck floats not cutting off
    supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have access to an IR non contact thermometer use it to check the exhaust running temps, they should be pretty close.
    If one is running cooler or hotter it usually indicates a problem with either a weak (hot) or rich (cool) mixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not nearly cold enough yet for carb icing, 3-4 degree damp days are the worst.

Had these exact symptoms on a four with a bad coil (Kawasaki as it turns out, but any four that doesn't have individual coils would be the same) - idled fine, ran badly in the 3-4000rpm range, ran fine at high rpm.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement