Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting house ready for Virgin Broadband

• 07-10-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I'm carrying out a complete refurbishment and rewiring of a terraced house.
    We're about to start first fix electrical.
    I've identified a location I want the modem to be, and will wire all the CAT 6 cables to that location.

What I'm not clear about is, what do I need to do to ensure that Virgin can get the cables from the street to that location? Once the walls are finished, I don't want them sticking cables everywhere. So Ideally, the cables in the house will be laid now, so when the house is finished, it's just a case of connecting it to the grid and plugging in the modem.

I guess it's a similar question if I wanted to go with any other supplier. Should I put in both sets of cables to enable me to switch provider in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're terraced then the Virgin drop will be affixed to the soffit most likely (You can see them, four steel "nipples").

You can run your own Coax to there but Im not sure the techs will always accept end user cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

So how does it work with a virgin installer? Do I need to get them in at first fix stage so they can lay the cabling themselves?

Advertisement