Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone confiscation

Options
  • 07-10-2020 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Can a secondary school confiscate a students phone for 24 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Redpunto wrote: »
    Can a secondary school confiscate a students phone for 24 hours?

I'd imagine they'd need parents consent to do that or it's theft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What does it say in the rules that you or your parents agreed to on enrolment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Maybe, rather than asking if they can, you should ask why they want to, whether or not they're right to, and what you can do to prevent it without resorting to "you're not allowed to do that".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The short, non legal answer is of course they can and thinking otherwise is nothing short of woke millennial entitlement

But for some detail, it happened me in 6th year, I was even 18 at the time, and was told I could leave any time I like and take it with me but coming back in was not guaranteed :rolleyes:

I suffered the 24hrs instead

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think the first part of my response to that scenario would be to ask the reason why the phone was taken, for 24 hours or not.

THEN I would be wondering could they do that - and tbh, I don't really see the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

sdanseo wrote: »
    The short, non legal answer is of course they can and thinking otherwise is nothing short of woke millennial entitlement

But for some detail, it happened me in 6th year, I was even 18 at the time, and was told I could leave any time I like and take it with me but coming back in was not guaranteed :rolleyes:

I suffered the 24hrs instead

Gen-z. Millenials are entering their thirties/forties now.

Agreed otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

Gen-z. Millenials are entering their thirties/forties now.

Agreed otherwise though.

Gen-z? Zombies is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

If it is in the School's Code of Behaviour and/or social media policy then they can confiscate it and hold on to it for however long is mentioned in the code!

Advertisement