Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVNO speeds

Options
  • 07-10-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I was wondering if 3, Eir and Vodafone give priority for data bandwidth to customers on their own networks over those who use MVNOs which run from those same networks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Not as far as I can tell. My wife is with 48 and she gets the same speed as my 3 sim. I’ve also tested Gomo and eir and they get the same speeds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It could depend on how much bandwidth each MVNO has leased from the MNO.

Gomo is just another wholly owned brand within Eir.
    Similarly 48 is wholly owned by Three so in those instances speeds should be similar.

Tesco and Lyca are possibly on a lower tariff and service might be less than their "parent" MNO.

Virgin Mobile were created as a result of a condition of the takeover of O2 by Three which gives VM a certain amount of spectrum which probably gives their customers a better service.

Having said all that...it's unlikely that an 8e PAYG 48 customer is going to get the same priority as an 80e corporate bill pay Three customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Having said all that...it's unlikely that an 8e PAYG 48 customer is going to get the same priority as an 80e corporate bill pay Three customer.

Historically they've never really done any QoS like that. Everyone is the same is much simpler to implement.

Advertisement